Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Hide IE ToolBar, AddressBar, StatisBar, etc.

Hide IE ToolBar, AddressBar, StatisBar, etc.

Just D.

Did anybody see the script to hide extra bars in the Internet Explorer? I'd
like to start my WebApp with all these bars hidden. How?

Thanks,

Just D.

Mariano Omar Rodriguez

Using "window.External" in java script you have access to all IE bars

Mariano

"Just D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Did anybody see the script to hide extra bars in the Internet Explorer?
> I'd like to start my WebApp with all these bars hidden. How?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Just D.

Just D.

Not to argue, just to comment...

Respecting all users I'm still needing to do that just because I'm not
playing games, but writing a huge WebApp doing a lot of stuff for these
users and these users agreed to work with this app. And as more they got
space for their own work as better for them. Do you feel the difference now?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not to answer your question, just to comment.
>
> Respecting user setting is one of the major usability rules. If the user
> has
> all sorts of extra settings in the browser, that is likely because he
> wants
> it this way. I would not like any application to change the setting I am
> accustomed to.
>
> Eliyahu
>
> "Just D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Did anybody see the script to hide extra bars in the Internet Explorer?

> I'd
>> like to start my WebApp with all these bars hidden. How?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Just D.

Eliyahu Goldin

Not to answer your question, just to comment.

Respecting user setting is one of the major usability rules. If the user has
all sorts of extra settings in the browser, that is likely because he wants
it this way. I would not like any application to change the setting I am
accustomed to.

Eliyahu

"Just D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Did anybody see the script to hide extra bars in the Internet Explorer?

I'd
> like to start my WebApp with all these bars hidden. How?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Just D.

Eliyahu Goldin

No, it doesn't make any principal difference. Even if you are programming
for Intranet, it is unlikely that the users will have their machines 100%
dedicated to your app. They will decide what they need more: more space for
content or their toolbars. Some user have accessibility problems. Other just
like large fonts no matter what is on the screen. Anyway, I don't think you
can effect their setting. In the same way as you can't change their
resolution. You can only recommend.

Eliyahu

> Not to argue, just to comment...
>
> Respecting all users I'm still needing to do that just because I'm not
> playing games, but writing a huge WebApp doing a lot of stuff for these
> users and these users agreed to work with this app. And as more they got
> space for their own work as better for them. Do you feel the difference

now?

> "Eliyahu Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Not to answer your question, just to comment.
> >
> > Respecting user setting is one of the major usability rules. If the user
> > has
> > all sorts of extra settings in the browser, that is likely because he
> > wants
> > it this way. I would not like any application to change the setting I am
> > accustomed to.
> >
> > Eliyahu
> >
> > "Just D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Did anybody see the script to hide extra bars in the Internet Explorer?

> > I'd
> >> like to start my WebApp with all these bars hidden. How?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Just D.

Just D.

Sometimes newsgroups are so funny... You can ask how to do something and get
a comprehensive explanation why you don't need that...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, it doesn't make any principal difference. Even if you are programming
> for Intranet, it is unlikely that the users will have their machines 100%
> dedicated to your app. They will decide what they need more: more space
> for
> content or their toolbars. Some user have accessibility problems. Other
> just
> like large fonts no matter what is on the screen. Anyway, I don't think
> you
> can effect their setting. In the same way as you can't change their
> resolution. You can only recommend.
>
> Eliyahu
>
> "Just D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Not to argue, just to comment...
>>
>> Respecting all users I'm still needing to do that just because I'm not
>> playing games, but writing a huge WebApp doing a lot of stuff for these
>> users and these users agreed to work with this app. And as more they got
>> space for their own work as better for them. Do you feel the difference

> now?
>>
>> "Eliyahu Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Not to answer your question, just to comment.
>> >
>> > Respecting user setting is one of the major usability rules. If the
>> > user
>> > has
>> > all sorts of extra settings in the browser, that is likely because he
>> > wants
>> > it this way. I would not like any application to change the setting I
>> > am
>> > accustomed to.
>> >
>> > Eliyahu
>> >
>> > "Just D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > I'd

jasonkester

In your case, you get both. I have an application that needs a
fullscreen window with no clutter. I simply open a new window with no
toolbars, scrollbars, etc. and size it to the user's desktop. The
user knows it's coming, and it doesn't affect the settings of their
browser.

But seriously, tread lightly on other people's settings. If you need
more convincing on this issue, consider the sites on the internet that
do the things you are looking to do. There are indeed site you can go
to that will resize your browser, strip off your explorer bar, add
bookmarks to your favorites, set themselves as your homepage, and
refuse to let you close them. Think what you do when you see this
happening: Frantically click the close button until they die, and
hopefully before they get too far with their scripting attack on your
browser.

Do you really want your site to be classified in this category?

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

Just D.

HI Jason,

I think you're not following the main purpose. It's not a freeware
accessible to anybody web site, but the WebApp, complicated enough and the
users are expecting the things like what I'm looking for, they are paying
money to work with this application and we decide together what to
implement. Nobody else is able to login until he agreed to pay money and
knew what to do with this app. That's the difference between the sites with
backdoors, tracers, Trojan horses, viruses, etc. and my WebApp.

Does this answer your questions?

Just D.

"jasonkester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> In your case, you get both. I have an application that needs a
> fullscreen window with no clutter. I simply open a new window with no
> toolbars, scrollbars, etc. and size it to the user's desktop. The
> user knows it's coming, and it doesn't affect the settings of their
> browser.
>
> But seriously, tread lightly on other people's settings. If you need
> more convincing on this issue, consider the sites on the internet that
> do the things you are looking to do. There are indeed site you can go
> to that will resize your browser, strip off your explorer bar, add
> bookmarks to your favorites, set themselves as your homepage, and
> refuse to let you close them. Think what you do when you see this
> happening: Frantically click the close button until they die, and
> hopefully before they get too far with their scripting attack on your
> browser.
>
> Do you really want your site to be classified in this category?
>
> Jason Kester
> Expat Software Consulting Services
> http://www.expatsoftware.com/

=?Utf-8?B?U3JlZWppdGggUmFt?=

I have faced a similar requirement for an enterprise web application I worked
on.. I did not find any way to change the first IE window the user opens...

The work around that we did was Opening a full screen ModalDialog with all
bars hidden... This way the user does not get confused with 2 windows in the
screen. You probably have considered about this option already.

Another option our team discussed was to have a simple small client app that
will just open a full screen IE and browse the web application (from clicking
a desktop icon)... Even though in our case the client computers were
dedicated 100% for this web application, we never perused to experiment this
option.... it got many other disadvantageous...

This is my < 0.02 $.....

Incase you find a different work around, kindly post here

"Just D." wrote:

> HI Jason,
>
> I think you're not following the main purpose. It's not a freeware
> accessible to anybody web site, but the WebApp, complicated enough and the
> users are expecting the things like what I'm looking for, they are paying
> money to work with this application and we decide together what to
> implement. Nobody else is able to login until he agreed to pay money and
> knew what to do with this app. That's the difference between the sites with
> backdoors, tracers, Trojan horses, viruses, etc. and my WebApp.
>
> Does this answer your questions?
>
> Just D.
>
> "jasonkester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > In your case, you get both. I have an application that needs a
> > fullscreen window with no clutter. I simply open a new window with no
> > toolbars, scrollbars, etc. and size it to the user's desktop. The
> > user knows it's coming, and it doesn't affect the settings of their
> > browser.
> >
> > But seriously, tread lightly on other people's settings. If you need
> > more convincing on this issue, consider the sites on the internet that
> > do the things you are looking to do. There are indeed site you can go
> > to that will resize your browser, strip off your explorer bar, add
> > bookmarks to your favorites, set themselves as your homepage, and
> > refuse to let you close them. Think what you do when you see this
> > happening: Frantically click the close button until they die, and
> > hopefully before they get too far with their scripting attack on your
> > browser.
> >
> > Do you really want your site to be classified in this category?
> >
> > Jason Kester
> > Expat Software Consulting Services
> > http://www.expatsoftware.com/

majiswala majiswala is offline