Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Global PreRequestHandler error after Win Server 2003 SP1 installation

Global PreRequestHandler error after Win Server 2003 SP1 installation

Todd Gill

We have recently modified our ASP.NET web application to make web
service calls asynchronously using the global.asax PreRequestHandler
technique as explained in the following article by Matt Powell of
Microsoft Coproration:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ce07222003.asp

We were experiencing the symptoms described in the article: awful
performance under load when calling web services synchronously from an
aspx page!

So we implemented the technique described in the article. The
application worked just fine on our development environment, which runs
Windows Server 2003. However, we noticed it would not run on our
staging environment, which was also running on Windows Server 2003.
Instead, we got this error from the staging server:

"Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1). error CS0011:
Referenced class '[App Name].Global' has base class or interface
'System.Web.HttpApplication' defined in an assembly that is not
referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Web'."

Why did this code work on the development machine and not the staging
machine? It turns out that our staging machine had Windows Server 2003
SP1 installed. Then, as soon as we installed SP1 on our development
machine today, we got the same error on the development machine. The
code has not been altered.

To make sure this was not my error, I installed the ASP.NET web
application and web service downloaded directly from the article listed
above. Predictably, I got the same results.

To duplicate this problem, download and install (on your Windows 2003
Server with SP1) the ASP.NET application listed at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ce07222003.asp

And attempt to view the page:

http://localhost/WebApp/PreRequestHandlerPage.aspx (THIS IS
CASE-SENSITIVE IN THE AUTHOR'S IMPLEMENTATION, SO MAKE SURE TO USE THIS
PATH)

Any suggestions?

Todd Gill
Ossia Systems