Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Restoring Firefox from another version, that i cannot start anymore

Restoring Firefox from another version, that i cannot start anymore

Sebastian Spandauer

Hey,

my windows crashed finaly. I even cannot repair it with the original
CD. Though i had to install a new Windows (on an new C:\ harddrive).
The data on the old harddrive with the old Windows isn't damaged as i
can see.

Now my question:

How can i transfer my old installation of Firefox (bookmarks,
extensions, passwords) into the new installed version with a "raw"
version of Firefox (at the moment)

Thank you
S.

Ed Mullen

http://www.ufaq.org/modules.php?name...ticle&artid=99

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

graeme@invalid

Sebastian Spandauer wrote:
> Hey,
>
> my windows crashed finaly. I even cannot repair it with the original
> CD. Though i had to install a new Windows (on an new C:\ harddrive).
> The data on the old harddrive with the old Windows isn't damaged as i
> can see.
>
> Now my question:
>
> How can i transfer my old installation of Firefox (bookmarks,
> extensions, passwords) into the new installed version with a "raw"
> version of Firefox (at the moment)
>
> Thank you
> S.

Simply relace your profile folder, it's location depends on your OS see:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

--
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Pascal C.

Le Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:11:47 -0500, Ed Mullen a écrit*:

> Sebastian Spandauer wrote:
>
>> How can i transfer my old installation of Firefox (bookmarks,
>> extensions, passwords) into the new installed version with a "raw"
>> version of Firefox (at the moment)

Today I moved from a Linux host with Mozilla to
a new one with Firefox + Thunderbird.

While I managed to get most of my Firefox configuration
restored on the new box, I couldn't find a way to transfer
my email folders: I tried many methods: copying the folder
in a new profile, importing, etc. No way!

Did anyone managed to move his mailboxes from one PC to
another?

Ed Mullen

Pascal C. wrote:

> Le Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:11:47 -0500, Ed Mullen a écrit :
>

>>Sebastian Spandauer wrote:
>>

>>>How can i transfer my old installation of Firefox (bookmarks,
>>>extensions, passwords) into the new installed version with a "raw"
>>>version of Firefox (at the moment)

> Today I moved from a Linux host with Mozilla to
> a new one with Firefox + Thunderbird.
>
> While I managed to get most of my Firefox configuration
> restored on the new box, I couldn't find a way to transfer
> my email folders: I tried many methods: copying the folder
> in a new profile, importing, etc. No way!
>
> Did anyone managed to move his mailboxes from one PC to
> another?

Perhaps I'm not understanding correctly. Email folders in a Mozilla app
are just plain-text disk files. If I copy a mail folder to my profile
and then open Mozilla, it shows up. In fact, I have a mail folder that
is on a removable drive that is not always present. The folder always
appears in Mozilla but if the drive isn't physically there the folder is
just empty. But Moz knows it should be there.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net