Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Major problems with Firefox

Major problems with Firefox

Mark Adams

I installed ver. 1.0 under Mandrake Linux 10.1 a few weeks ago and it
has been working fine. I installed the Starfox Xpanded 2.3.1 theme and
a handful of extensions and cruised along nicely. This evening Firefox
stopped responding -- it would open to my homepage normally, but then it
just sat there and mousing over links didn't change the cursor, didn't
activate the link, clicking on it did nothing. I had to kill the
process to get the window to go away.

I wound up completely uninstalling and then reinstalling the binary a
couple of times. I even reinstalled the RPM of 1.0rc which worked but
couldn't be updated. I finally got the binary to work as expected. I
reinstalled the Starfox theme and some extensions. The theme worked,
but the extensions wouldn't install.

The extensions window told me that each extension would be installed
when I restarted FF. Restarting FF had no effect. I tried to uninstall
the extensions. The entries in the extensions window told me that the
items would be uninstalled when I restarted FF. They were never
uninstalled. I had to manually uninstall them by editing the
Extensions.rdf file in my home directory.

I really like FF but I'm struggling here. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks.
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
A hammer sometimes misses its mark - a bouquet never.

Mark Adams

Mark Adams wrote:
> I installed ver. 1.0 under Mandrake Linux 10.1 a few weeks ago and it
> has been working fine. I installed the Starfox Xpanded 2.3.1 theme and
> a handful of extensions and cruised along nicely. This evening Firefox
> stopped responding -- it would open to my homepage normally, but then it
> just sat there and mousing over links didn't change the cursor, didn't
> activate the link, clicking on it did nothing. I had to kill the
> process to get the window to go away.

Resolved.

It seems the switchproxy extension started the whole thing. Out of the
clear blue it just started locking up the browser. Reinstalling
everything was hampered by file permissions in the shared installation
directory rather than the profile directory.

For now at lest, it's working as long as I don't try and install the
proxy switcher.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

Let's not complicate our relationship by trying to communicate with each
other.