Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > I lost my profile and emails in Thunderbird

I lost my profile and emails in Thunderbird

parimalpune

Yesterday when I opened thunderbird it had lost all the emails.
No account information. I had to set up the infor again. what happened
to the old emails?

where does it store emails on my computer?
I could not find the folder with emails.

thanks for the help.

Ed Mullen

parimalpune wrote:

> Yesterday when I opened thunderbird it had lost all the emails.
> No account information. I had to set up the infor again. what happened
> to the old emails?
>
> where does it store emails on my computer?
> I could not find the folder with emails.
>
> thanks for the help.

http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/moz.html
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

parimalpune

Ed Mullen wrote:
> parimalpune wrote:
>
>> Yesterday when I opened thunderbird it had lost all the emails.
>> No account information. I had to set up the infor again. what happened
>> to the old emails?
>>
>> where does it store emails on my computer?
>> I could not find the folder with emails.
>>
>> thanks for the help.

> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
> http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingree...0Profiles.html

Thanks.

Where does it store emails? what is global mail box and local mail mail
box. Does it store it on my computer? or is it left on the server?

Ed Mullen

parimalpune wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> parimalpune wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday when I opened thunderbird it had lost all the emails.
>>> No account information. I had to set up the infor again. what
>>> happened to the old emails?
>>>
>>> where does it store emails on my computer?
>>> I could not find the folder with emails.
>>>
>>> thanks for the help.

>> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
>> http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingree...0Profiles.html
>>

> Thanks.
>
> Where does it store emails? what is global mail box and local mail mail
> box. Does it store it on my computer? or is it left on the server?

Emails are stored in the profile folder. In Windows (although you
haven't mentioned your OS) it would be a path like:

C:\Documents and Settings\[windowsuser]\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\r7q3hpvc.default\Mail\[mailaccount]

The actual message files are those withOUT a file extension, e.g., Inbox
instead of Inbox.msf. The msf files are index files and can be safely
deleted. No NOT delete any file you are not certain of.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

onepostwonder onepostwonder is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen
parimalpune wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> parimalpune wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday when I opened thunderbird it had lost all the emails.
>>> No account information. I had to set up the infor again. what
>>> happened to the old emails?
>>>
>>> where does it store emails on my computer?
>>> I could not find the folder with emails.
>>>
>>> thanks for the help.

>> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
>> http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingree...0Profiles.html
>>

> Thanks.
>
> Where does it store emails? what is global mail box and local mail mail
> box. Does it store it on my computer? or is it left on the server?

Emails are stored in the profile folder. In Windows (although you
haven't mentioned your OS) it would be a path like:

C:\Documents and Settings\[windowsuser]\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\r7q3hpvc.default\Mail\[mailaccount]

The actual message files are those withOUT a file extension, e.g., Inbox
instead of Inbox.msf. The msf files are index files and can be safely
deleted. No NOT delete any file you are not certain of.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/moz.html
How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

Just signed in to say that THAT was VERY helpful. Searched all over google but you nailed it good. So thank you.