Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Cannot Copy Assembly <MyAssembly> The Process Cannot Access The File Because It Is Being Used By Another Process

Cannot Copy Assembly <MyAssembly> The Process Cannot Access The File Because It Is Being Used By Another Process

Ram

Hey,
I have a solution that is built from both C# and VB.Net projects that some
C# projects are referenced to VB.Net projects and vise versa.
Whenever I try to rebuild my solution I get the following errors:
"Cannot Copy Assembly <Assembly> - The Process Cannot Access The File
Because It Is Being Used By Another Process".
I tried to "kill" the ASPNET_WP process in a pre-built event and had no
success...
I read in more than a few old threads and a few KB articles (313512,324519)
about VS.Net locking assemblies in prior versions of VS.Net - 2002 and found
no real/working resolution.
I'm using VS.Net 2003 with Framework 1.1, Windows XP Pro, IIS 5.1.
Is there a known issue and hopefully a fix for that annoying VS.Net bug?
Thanks ahead

-- Ram

Juan T. Llibre

Are you, by any chance, running the Indexing service
or an antivirus app which might be scanning changed files ?

Check into that, and test again after temporarily unplugging
either the Indexing service or the antivirus program or both.

Later, you can simply exclude the VS.NET working directories
from the indexing/scanning processes.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
http://asp.net.do/foros/
Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
======================

"Ram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey,
> I have a solution that is built from both C# and VB.Net projects that some
> C# projects are referenced to VB.Net projects and vise versa.
> Whenever I try to rebuild my solution I get the following errors:
> "Cannot Copy Assembly <Assembly> - The Process Cannot Access The File
> Because It Is Being Used By Another Process".
> I tried to "kill" the ASPNET_WP process in a pre-built event and had no
> success...
> I read in more than a few old threads and a few KB articles (313512,324519)
> about VS.Net locking assemblies in prior versions of VS.Net - 2002 and found
> no real/working resolution.
> I'm using VS.Net 2003 with Framework 1.1, Windows XP Pro, IIS 5.1.
> Is there a known issue and hopefully a fix for that annoying VS.Net bug?
> Thanks ahead
>
> -- Ram

Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET]

What Juan suggested below can usually cause the problem, however we have
seen this error on *some* occassions and have been unable to nail down its
cause. We usually have to close VS.NEt 2003, and re-open again.

--
- Paul Glavich
MVP ASP.NET

news:(E-Mail Removed)...