Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > 1.7 .5 or Firefox?

1.7 .5 or Firefox?

Stefan Ahlgren

Hi Group,
I recently installed Firefox, and I'm pleased. However, my bank says I
cannot use it to do my bank stuff, I have to install Mozilla 1.7.5 for that.
So, because I'm lazy, I turn to you guys. What is the difference between
1.7.5 and Firefox? Please don't answer "you cannot do your bank stuff with
one of them", I already know that ;o)

Is there any (other) disadvantages with 1.7.5 compared to Firefox?

If this issue already has been discussed in this group, I appologize for
being laze.
But thanks anyway!

/Stefan, Sweden

Stefan Ahlgren

> What is the difference between 1.7.5 and Firefox? If this issue already
> has been discussed in this group, I appologize for being laze.

Okay, I was not that lazY after all, I did some reading.

Firefox: a web browser.
Mozilla: a complete suite with a lot of other applications.

Right?
/Stefan

Poly-poly man

Stefan Ahlgren wrote:
> > What is the difference between 1.7.5 and Firefox? If this issue

already
> > has been discussed in this group, I appologize for being laze.

> Okay, I was not that lazY after all, I did some reading.
>
> Firefox: a web browser.
> Mozilla: a complete suite with a lot of other applications.
>
> Right?
> /Stefan

Correct.
In fact, the Moz suite comes with a web page composer, a Mail thing
(that also
does usenet), an address book, calendar, chat, messager, palm sync,
etc.
Be less "laze", it helps.
Poly-poly man

graeme@invalid

Stefan Ahlgren wrote:
> Hi Group,
> I recently installed Firefox, and I'm pleased. However, my bank says I
> cannot use it to do my bank stuff, I have to install Mozilla 1.7.5 for that.
> So, because I'm lazy, I turn to you guys. What is the difference between
> 1.7.5 and Firefox? Please don't answer "you cannot do your bank stuff with
> one of them", I already know that ;o)
>
> Is there any (other) disadvantages with 1.7.5 compared to Firefox?
>
> If this issue already has been discussed in this group, I appologize for
> being laze.
> But thanks anyway!
>
> /Stefan, Sweden

My bank gives me the same message, I just ignore it and use Firefox.

--
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Leonidas Jones

Stefan Ahlgren wrote:
>>What is the difference between 1.7.5 and Firefox? If this issue already
>>has been discussed in this group, I appologize for being laze.

> Okay, I was not that lazY after all, I did some reading.
>
> Firefox: a web browser.
> Mozilla: a complete suite with a lot of other applications.
>
> Right?
> /Stefan

That is correct.

If your back will allow Moz 1.7.5 in, there is no earthly reason to
exclude FF 1.0. It is exactly the same rendering engine. What happens
when you try to get in with FF?

If there is browser sniffer involved, I've never seen one that sniffed
for Moz 1.7.5 and excluded FF. That would be a first.

You could try spoofing the User Agent as Moz, and see if you get in.

Here is a typical 1.7.5 UA string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217

You can use either the Prefbar, or the UA switcher extensions to spoof
the FF UA to this.

Lee

Stefan Ahlgren

> If your bank will allow Moz 1.7.5 in, there is no earthly reason to
> exclude FF 1.0. It is exactly the same rendering engine. What happens
> when you try to get in with FF?

Havn't tried. Just listened to my bank Internet support, and they say FF is
a no-no. In fact they are checking it out as I type, I guess it's a matter
of very short time before FF gets an OK.

> If there is browser sniffer involved, I've never seen one that sniffed for
> Moz 1.7.5 and excluded FF. That would be a first.
>
> You could try spoofing the User Agent as Moz, and see if you get in.
>
> Here is a typical 1.7.5 UA string:
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217
>
> You can use either the Prefbar, or the UA switcher extensions to spoof the
> FF UA to this.

Eehhh ... a little over my horizon, this. I thing I'll wait for the OK from
the bank. Or use the complete Moz suit.
Thanx anyway, Lee!
/Stefan

Pete

"Stefan Ahlgren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XO4Rd.130649$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If your bank will allow Moz 1.7.5 in, there is no earthly reason to
> > exclude FF 1.0. It is exactly the same rendering engine. What happens
> > when you try to get in with FF?

> Havn't tried. Just listened to my bank Internet support, and they say FF

is
> a no-no. In fact they are checking it out as I type, I guess it's a matter
> of very short time before FF gets an OK.
>
> > If there is browser sniffer involved, I've never seen one that sniffed

for
> > Moz 1.7.5 and excluded FF. That would be a first.
> >
> > You could try spoofing the User Agent as Moz, and see if you get in.
> >
> > Here is a typical 1.7.5 UA string:
> >
> > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217
> >
> > You can use either the Prefbar, or the UA switcher extensions to spoof

the
> > FF UA to this.

> Eehhh ... a little over my horizon, this. I thing I'll wait for the OK

from
> the bank. Or use the complete Moz suit.
> Thanx anyway, Lee!
> /Stefan

I use FireFox all the time to do my banking. No problem at all. Works great.
=Pete