Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Elimiate "send link" context menu entry in Firefox?

Elimiate "send link" context menu entry in Firefox?

MLC

_FoxWolfie Galen_, sabato 19/feb/2005:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:04:14 +0100, Roland <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> <menuitem id="context-bookmarklink" label="Bookmark This Link..."/>
>> <menuitem id="context-savelink" label="Save Link As..."/>
>> <menuitem id="context-sendlink" label="Send Link..."/>

>> <menuitem id="context-bookmarkpage" label="Bookmark This Page..."/>
>> <menuitem id="context-savepage" label="Save Page As..."/>
>> <menuitem id="context-sendpage" label="Send Link..."/>

> Here's a little cosmetic thing I found. Two items are labeled as "Send
> Link...", but one should probably be labeled as "Send Page...". When
> right-clicking on part of a page that is not actually a link, it says "Send
> Link" instead of "Send Page". Luckily, the real "Send Page" selection is
> removed from the menu when someone clicks on a link, otherwise there would
> be two apparent "Send Link" choices, where one would send the current page
> and the other would send the link that was clicked on. Yes, it's a rather
> small thing, and I would never have noticed it if I didn't see them all
> listed together. I never actually clicked on any of the "Send" options
> intentionally.

Bingo!
This your note, even if not totally right (see below), has lightened a bulb
in my brain. I was trying to remove the "Send link..." voice from the
context menu, but, like others in this thread, it didn't work. Of course, I
was right-clicking somewhere on the page, not on a link!

Now I use the following code and I get rid of that item in both the
circumstances:

/* Remove 'Send Link' from context menu */
menuitem#context-sendlink, menuitem#context-sendpage {
display: none !important;
}

About your note: the label "Send link..." is appropriate also on the page,
because Firefox doesn't send a page, but only the link to the page. This
issue it's been discussed before, and I'm in favour of this FF behaviour, to
avoid the spread of HTML emails.

I hope my English is comprehensible, and thanks again for you hint!
--
Maria Luisa C - 19/02/2005 19.16.12
They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction.

Roland

On 19-2-2005 19:34, MLC wrote:

> _FoxWolfie Galen_, sabato 19/feb/2005:
>

>>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:04:14 +0100, Roland <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> <menuitem id="context-bookmarklink" label="Bookmark This Link..."/>
>>> <menuitem id="context-savelink" label="Save Link As..."/>
>>> <menuitem id="context-sendlink" label="Send Link..."/>

>>> <menuitem id="context-bookmarkpage" label="Bookmark This Page..."/>
>>> <menuitem id="context-savepage" label="Save Page As..."/>
>>> <menuitem id="context-sendpage" label="Send Link..."/>

>>Here's a little cosmetic thing I found. Two items are labeled as "Send
>>Link...", but one should probably be labeled as "Send Page...". When
>>right-clicking on part of a page that is not actually a link, it says "Send
>>Link" instead of "Send Page". Luckily, the real "Send Page" selection is
>>removed from the menu when someone clicks on a link, otherwise there would
>>be two apparent "Send Link" choices, where one would send the current page
>>and the other would send the link that was clicked on. Yes, it's a rather
>>small thing, and I would never have noticed it if I didn't see them all
>>listed together. I never actually clicked on any of the "Send" options
>>intentionally.

> Bingo!
> This your note, even if not totally right (see below), has lightened a bulb
> in my brain. I was trying to remove the "Send link..." voice from the
> context menu, but, like others in this thread, it didn't work. Of course, I
> was right-clicking somewhere on the page, not on a link!
>
> Now I use the following code and I get rid of that item in both the
> circumstances:
>
> /* Remove 'Send Link' from context menu */
> menuitem#context-sendlink, menuitem#context-sendpage {
> display: none !important;
> }
>
> About your note: the label "Send link..." is appropriate also on the page,
> because Firefox doesn't send a page, but only the link to the page. This
> issue it's been discussed before, and I'm in favour of this FF behaviour, to
> avoid the spread of HTML emails.
>
> I hope my English is comprehensible, and thanks again for you hint!

And your lightbulb caused a bulb in my head as well : I didn't note
that there was a second menu item with the same label "Send Link..."
(but with id 'context-sendpage').
Your solution may work too for others who couldn't get my solution to
work. [And of course right-clicking on the appropriate element].
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Leonidas Jones

Roland wrote:
> On 19-2-2005 19:34, MLC wrote:
>
>> _FoxWolfie Galen_, sabato 19/feb/2005:

>>> Here's a little cosmetic thing I found. Two items are labeled as "Send
>>> Link...", but one should probably be labeled as "Send Page...". When
>>> right-clicking on part of a page that is not actually a link, it says
>>> "Send
>>> Link" instead of "Send Page". Luckily, the real "Send Page" selection is
>>> removed from the menu when someone clicks on a link, otherwise there
>>> would
>>> be two apparent "Send Link" choices, where one would send the current
>>> page
>>> and the other would send the link that was clicked on. Yes, it's a
>>> rather
>>> small thing, and I would never have noticed it if I didn't see them all
>>> listed together. I never actually clicked on any of the "Send" options
>>> intentionally.

>> Bingo!
>> This your note, even if not totally right (see below), has lightened a
>> bulb
>> in my brain. I was trying to remove the "Send link..." voice from the
>> context menu, but, like others in this thread, it didn't work. Of
>> course, I
>> was right-clicking somewhere on the page, not on a link!
>>
>> Now I use the following code and I get rid of that item in both the
>> circumstances:
>> /* Remove 'Send Link' from context menu */
>> menuitem#context-sendlink, menuitem#context-sendpage {
>> display: none !important;
>> }
>>
>> About your note: the label "Send link..." is appropriate also on the
>> page,
>> because Firefox doesn't send a page, but only the link to the page. This
>> issue it's been discussed before, and I'm in favour of this FF
>> behaviour, to
>> avoid the spread of HTML emails.
>>
>> I hope my English is comprehensible, and thanks again for you hint!

> And your lightbulb caused a bulb in my head as well : I didn't note
> that there was a second menu item with the same label "Send Link..."
> (but with id 'context-sendpage').
> Your solution may work too for others who couldn't get my solution to
> work. [And of course right-clicking on the appropriate element].

Confirmed, this version works!

Lee

=?UTF-8?B?IsaSwq5AbksgcGFuxbHCqcKpSSI=?=

Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> And your lightbulb caused a bulb in my head as well : I didn't
>> note that there was a second menu item with the same label "Send
>> Link..." (but with id 'context-sendpage').
>> Your solution may work too for others who couldn't get my solution to
>> work. [And of course right-clicking on the appropriate element].

> Confirmed, this version works!

I was the first poster with the question, and this latest method works
for me, too. Thanks everybody!

Christopher Pollard

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:26:02 +0100, Roland <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes (however some have reported that the following doesn't work).

Worked for me. Thanks!

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

FoxWolfie Galen

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:34:13 +0100, MLC <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> About your note: the label "Send link..." is appropriate also on the page,
> because Firefox doesn't send a page, but only the link to the page. This
> issue it's been discussed before, and I'm in favour of this FF behaviour,
> to avoid the spread of HTML emails.

I never tried to send a page, so I wasn't aware that it just sent a link. I
agree that the current behavior is the best. I would never want to send or
receive an HTML page, which is why I removed the menu-item from my browser.
--
FoxWolfie

Roland wrote:
> In case you want to find the id of the menu item yourself, open the DOM
> inspector (Tools -> DOM inspector). Then in the inspector File ->

DOM Inspector? Do I need to install something to get that item on the
Tools pulldown?

FF 1.0 > Tools doesn't show a DOM Inspector choice.

Leonidas Jones

Z wrote:
> Roland wrote:
>
>> In case you want to find the id of the menu item yourself, open the
>> DOM inspector (Tools -> DOM inspector). Then in the inspector File ->

> DOM Inspector? Do I need to install something to get that item on the
> Tools pulldown?
>
> FF 1.0 > Tools doesn't show a DOM Inspector choice.

It does of you have selected the option, as stated elsewhere in this
thread. If you do not have it, you did not select it when you installed
the program

To get it, uninstall, then reinstall, and choose a Custom Install.
Select it as one of your install options.

Lee

Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> DOM Inspector? Do I need to install something to get that item on the
>> Tools pulldown?
>>
>> FF 1.0 > Tools doesn't show a DOM Inspector choice.

> It does of you have selected the option, as stated elsewhere in this
> thread. If you do not have it, you did not select it when you installed
> the program
>
> To get it, uninstall, then reinstall, and choose a Custom Install.
> Select it as one of your install options.

Thanks, I did eventually find that info in the thread but by that time,
I'd already clicked SEND.

Leonidas Jones

Z wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>>> DOM Inspector? Do I need to install something to get that item on
>>> the Tools pulldown?
>>>
>>> FF 1.0 > Tools doesn't show a DOM Inspector choice.

>> It does of you have selected the option, as stated elsewhere in this
>> thread. If you do not have it, you did not select it when you
>> installed the program
>>
>> To get it, uninstall, then reinstall, and choose a Custom Install.
>> Select it as one of your install options.

> Thanks, I did eventually find that info in the thread but by that time,
> I'd already clicked SEND.

I'm glad you found it, I certainly hope its working for you.

Lee