Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Elimiate "send link" context menu entry in Firefox?

Elimiate "send link" context menu entry in Firefox?

=?UTF-8?B?IsaSwq5AbksgcGFuxbHCqcKpSSI=?=

VERY often, using Firefox 1, when I use right-click to save a web page,
my hand slips and I accidentally click "send link". Then I have to wait
several seconds or longer while my email program starts up and displays
an email that must be clicked away. If I have lots of Firefox tabs
open, sometimes the hard drive thrashes a long time while the system
accommodates the unintentional email program launch.

Is there a way to eliminate "send link" from the right-click menu? I
never, ever use "send link" and it would be nice to have it gone.

Roland

On 16-2-2005 16:42, ƒ®@nK panű©©I wrote:
> VERY often, using Firefox 1, when I use right-click to save a web page,
> my hand slips and I accidentally click "send link". Then I have to wait
> several seconds or longer while my email program starts up and displays
> an email that must be clicked away. If I have lots of Firefox tabs
> open, sometimes the hard drive thrashes a long time while the system
> accommodates the unintentional email program launch.
>
> Is there a way to eliminate "send link" from the right-click menu? I
> never, ever use "send link" and it would be nice to have it gone.

Add the following lines to the 'userChrome.css' file in the subfolder
named 'chrome' of your profile folder:

/* Remove 'Send Link' from context menu*/
menuitem#context-sendlink {
display: none !important;
}

See <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit> for location of
'userChrome.css' and how to edit it.
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Roland wrote:
> Add the following lines to the 'userChrome.css' file in the subfolder
> named 'chrome' of your profile folder:
>
> /* Remove 'Send Link' from context menu*/
> menuitem#context-sendlink {
> display: none !important;
> }

·

Thanks -

I must be doing something wrong. After I paste the above into the
appropriate file, I still have a right-click "send link" when I restart
Firefox.

FoxWolfie Galen

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:15:14 GMT, "@nK pan?I"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Roland wrote:
> > Add the following lines to the 'userChrome.css' file in the subfolder
> > named 'chrome' of your profile folder:

> > /* Remove 'Send Link' from context menu*/
> > menuitem#context-sendlink {
> > display: none !important;
> > }

> Thanks -

> I must be doing something wrong. After I paste the above into the
> appropriate file, I still have a right-click "send link" when I restart
> Firefox.

Same here. It did not get rid of the "Send Link..." for me, even after a
restart of Firefox. I'd also like to get rid of "Send Image..." and "Set As
Wallpaper...", as I never use any of those. I'm definitely editing the
correct userChrome.css file, as any other changes I've made have been
effective.

Leonidas Jones

FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:15:14 GMT, "@nK pan?I"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Roland wrote:
>>
>>>Add the following lines to the 'userChrome.css' file in the subfolder
>>>named 'chrome' of your profile folder:

>>>/* Remove 'Send Link' from context menu*/
>>>menuitem#context-sendlink {
>>> display: none !important;
>>>}

>>Thanks -

>>I must be doing something wrong. After I paste the above into the
>>appropriate file, I still have a right-click "send link" when I restart
>>Firefox.

> Same here. It did not get rid of the "Send Link..." for me, even after a
> restart of Firefox. I'd also like to get rid of "Send Image..." and "Set As
> Wallpaper...", as I never use any of those. I'm definitely editing the
> correct userChrome.css file, as any other changes I've made have been
> effective.

I hate to say it Roland, it isn't working for me either.

Lee

Roland

On 18-2-2005 5:16, Leonidas Jones wrote:

> FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:15:14 GMT, "@nK pan?I"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Thanks -

>>> I must be doing something wrong. After I paste the above into the
>>> appropriate file, I still have a right-click "send link" when I
>>> restart Firefox.

>> Same here. It did not get rid of the "Send Link..." for me, even after a
>> restart of Firefox. I'd also like to get rid of "Send Image..." and
>> "Set As
>> Wallpaper...", as I never use any of those. I'm definitely editing the
>> correct userChrome.css file, as any other changes I've made have been
>> effective.

> I hate to say it Roland, it isn't working for me either.
>
> Lee

Hmmm, strange...

Works for me with Firefox 1.0: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0;
en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

I tried it with another theme (thinking it might be theme related), and
tried it in safe mode (maybe some extension), but in both cases it still
works for me.

I used the DOM inspector to find the id of the menuitem, and in my FF1.0
it is 'context-sendlink'. Maybe the id of the item is different for
different Firefox versions (or platform?).

[Just to be sure: it's the 'Send Link' item in the context menu
(right-click), not the item in the menubar File -> Send Link]
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Leonidas Jones

Roland wrote:
> On 18-2-2005 5:16, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> FoxWolfie Galen wrote:

>>> Same here. It did not get rid of the "Send Link..." for me, even after a
>>> restart of Firefox. I'd also like to get rid of "Send Image..." and
>>> "Set As
>>> Wallpaper...", as I never use any of those. I'm definitely editing the
>>> correct userChrome.css file, as any other changes I've made have been
>>> effective.

>> I hate to say it Roland, it isn't working for me either.
>>
>> Lee

> Hmmm, strange...
>
> Works for me with Firefox 1.0: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0;
> en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
>
> I tried it with another theme (thinking it might be theme related), and
> tried it in safe mode (maybe some extension), but in both cases it still
> works for me.
>
> I used the DOM inspector to find the id of the menuitem, and in my FF1.0
> it is 'context-sendlink'. Maybe the id of the item is different for
> different Firefox versions (or platform?).
>
> [Just to be sure: it's the 'Send Link' item in the context menu
> (right-click), not the item in the menubar File -> Send Link]

Understood, and its still not working. The only major difference would
appear to be that I tested on XP, I doubt thats the issue.

Later today, I'll some more indepth testing on a clen profile. I am
curious whynits working for you and not for the other respondents.

Lee

Roland

On 18-2-2005 13:48, Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Roland wrote:

>>> I hate to say it Roland, it isn't working for me either.
>>>
>>> Lee

>> Hmmm, strange...
>>
>> Works for me with Firefox 1.0: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT
>> 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
>>
>> I tried it with another theme (thinking it might be theme related),
>> and tried it in safe mode (maybe some extension), but in both cases it
>> still works for me.
>>
>> I used the DOM inspector to find the id of the menuitem, and in my
>> FF1.0 it is 'context-sendlink'. Maybe the id of the item is different
>> for different Firefox versions (or platform?).
>>
>> [Just to be sure: it's the 'Send Link' item in the context menu
>> (right-click), not the item in the menubar File -> Send Link]

> Understood, and its still not working. The only major difference would
> appear to be that I tested on XP, I doubt thats the issue.
>
> Later today, I'll some more indepth testing on a clen profile. I am
> curious whynits working for you and not for the other respondents.
>
> Lee

In case you want to find the id of the menu item yourself, open the DOM
inspector (Tools -> DOM inspector). Then in the inspector File ->
Inspect Window and select the browser window (sometimes you have to open
a new browser window from the original window, when the inspector does
not list the first browser window in its menu). Then drill down to the
first 'popupset' node and the 'popup' node with id
'contentAreaContextMenu'. But maybe you see other items in the tree.

I'll include a screendump of the DOM-inspector in the reply to this
message. (So don't open my next message if you're on a slow connection)
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Roland

On 18-2-2005 14:53, Roland wrote:

> On 18-2-2005 13:48, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Roland wrote:

>>> Hmmm, strange...
>>>
>>> Works for me with Firefox 1.0: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT
>>> 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
>>>
>>> I tried it with another theme (thinking it might be theme related),
>>> and tried it in safe mode (maybe some extension), but in both cases
>>> it still works for me.
>>>
>>> I used the DOM inspector to find the id of the menuitem, and in my
>>> FF1.0 it is 'context-sendlink'. Maybe the id of the item is different
>>> for different Firefox versions (or platform?).
>>>
>>> [Just to be sure: it's the 'Send Link' item in the context menu
>>> (right-click), not the item in the menubar File -> Send Link]

>> Understood, and its still not working. The only major difference
>> would appear to be that I tested on XP, I doubt thats the issue.
>>
>> Later today, I'll some more indepth testing on a clen profile. I am
>> curious whynits working for you and not for the other respondents.
>>
>> Lee

> In case you want to find the id of the menu item yourself, open the DOM
> inspector (Tools -> DOM inspector). Then in the inspector File ->
> Inspect Window and select the browser window (sometimes you have to open
> a new browser window from the original window, when the inspector does
> not list the first browser window in its menu). Then drill down to the
> first 'popupset' node and the 'popup' node with id
> 'contentAreaContextMenu'. But maybe you see other items in the tree.
>
> I'll include a screendump of the DOM-inspector in the reply to this
> message. (So don't open my next message if you're on a slow connection)

If your ISP doesn't support messages with binary attachments (like my
ISP), the screendump is also available in netscape.public.test on
news.mozilla.org.
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Leonidas Jones

Roland wrote:
> On 18-2-2005 13:48, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Roland wrote:

>>> Hmmm, strange...
>>>
>>> Works for me with Firefox 1.0: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT
>>> 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
>>>
>>> I tried it with another theme (thinking it might be theme related),
>>> and tried it in safe mode (maybe some extension), but in both cases
>>> it still works for me.
>>>
>>> I used the DOM inspector to find the id of the menuitem, and in my
>>> FF1.0 it is 'context-sendlink'. Maybe the id of the item is different
>>> for different Firefox versions (or platform?).
>>>
>>> [Just to be sure: it's the 'Send Link' item in the context menu
>>> (right-click), not the item in the menubar File -> Send Link]

>> Understood, and its still not working. The only major difference
>> would appear to be that I tested on XP, I doubt thats the issue.
>>
>> Later today, I'll some more indepth testing on a clen profile. I am
>> curious whynits working for you and not for the other respondents.
>>
>> Lee

> In case you want to find the id of the menu item yourself, open the DOM
> inspector (Tools -> DOM inspector). Then in the inspector File ->
> Inspect Window and select the browser window (sometimes you have to open
> a new browser window from the original window, when the inspector does
> not list the first browser window in its menu). Then drill down to the
> first 'popupset' node and the 'popup' node with id
> 'contentAreaContextMenu'. But maybe you see other items in the tree.
>
> I'll include a screendump of the DOM-inspector in the reply to this
> message. (So don't open my next message if you're on a slow connection)

Thanks, this is one of my "slow school" days. I'll ccheck it out when I
get home.

Lee