Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Search engine removal

Search engine removal

Trev67

Does anyone know how I can remove a search engine from Firefox 1.0 ??
Any ideas gratefully received...

--
Reclaim Your Inbox!

mike555

Trev67 wrote:
> Does anyone know how I can remove a search engine from Firefox 1.0 ??

> Any ideas gratefully received...
>
> --
> Reclaim Your Inbox!
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird

==== go to ..
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...Search_Plugins
=====

mike555

Trev67 wrote:
> Does anyone know how I can remove a search engine from Firefox 1.0 ??

> Any ideas gratefully received...
>
> --
> Reclaim Your Inbox!
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird

1. Go to the installation directory of Mozilla or Firefox. (1)
2. Locate the subfolder "searchplugins". (2)
3. Delete both SRC and GIF/PNG files for each plugin.
4. Restart Firefox and the deleted plugins will have disappeared.

Example: If you want to get rid of the default Google search plugin,
you will delete "google.src" and "google.png".

John Cheever

mike555 wrote:
> 1. Go to the installation directory of Mozilla or Firefox. (1)
> 2. Locate the subfolder "searchplugins". (2)
> 3. Delete both SRC and GIF/PNG files for each plugin.
> 4. Restart Firefox and the deleted plugins will have disappeared.
>
> Example: If you want to get rid of the default Google search plugin,
> you will delete "google.src" and "google.png".

If you want to remove the default Google search plug-in you can just use
"customize" and drag it off.
--
John Cheever
http://upsd.co.uk

Trev67

mike555 wrote:
> Trev67 wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know how I can remove a search engine from Firefox 1.0 ??

>>Any ideas gratefully received...
>>
>>--
>>Reclaim Your Inbox!
>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird

> 1. Go to the installation directory of Mozilla or Firefox. (1)
> 2. Locate the subfolder "searchplugins". (2)
> 3. Delete both SRC and GIF/PNG files for each plugin.
> 4. Restart Firefox and the deleted plugins will have disappeared.
>
> Example: If you want to get rid of the default Google search plugin,
> you will delete "google.src" and "google.png".

Many thanks - problem solved. Maybe someone could be an extension to
perform search engine plugin removals from the context menu...??

--
Reclaim Your Inbox!