Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox downside, maybe?

Reply
Thread Tools

Firefox downside, maybe?

 
 
Poly-poly man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2005
Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use notepad!
I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all in
one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?

Annoyed,
Poly-poly man

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2005
Poly-poly man wrote:
> Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
> annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use notepad!
> I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all in
> one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?
>
> Annoyed,
> Poly-poly man
>



The whole point of Firefox is that it is browser, just a browser,
nothing but a browser. Rather then an all in one suite, you need
different applications for different tasks.

Take a look at NVu:

http://www.nvu.com/

Lee

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Foxtrot Oscar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2005
Poly-poly man wrote:
> Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
> annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use notepad!
> I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all in
> one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?


This bugs me sometimes too, but I just have to remember to right-click
on the file and 'Edit' in Notepad before I open it. A source editing
extension would be good though...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Poly-poly man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2005

Foxtrot Oscar wrote:
> Poly-poly man wrote:
> > Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
> > annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use

notepad!
> > I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all

in
> > one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?

>
> This bugs me sometimes too, but I just have to remember to

right-click
> on the file and 'Edit' in Notepad before I open it. A source editing
> extension would be good though...


Definately. It would be sooooooo cool if they made a FireFox suite,
including thunderbird and stuff in it. But for now, I can edit with
notepad, or the old fashioned Mozilla.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2005
Once upon a time *Poly-poly man* wrote:
> Foxtrot Oscar wrote:
>> Poly-poly man wrote:
>> > Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
>> > annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use

> notepad!
>> > I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all

> in
>> > one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?

>>
>> This bugs me sometimes too, but I just have to remember to

> right-click
>> on the file and 'Edit' in Notepad before I open it. A source editing
>> extension would be good though...

>
> Definately. It would be sooooooo cool if they made a FireFox suite,
> including thunderbird and stuff in it. But for now, I can edit with
> notepad, or the old fashioned Mozilla.
>


Why the heck do you need a "Firefox Suit"? The Mozilla Suit still
exist, the latest version is 1.7.5 and is what you are used to I guess
with the "glory" of mail, chat, composer, etc. all in one..

--
/Arne
Proud User of the Mozilla Suite. Get your free copy here:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Fr Jack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2005
"Poly-poly man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>Definately. It would be sooooooo cool if they made a FireFox suite,


They do.... it's called "Mozilla"...

I get the feeling you've missed the point of Firefox.
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack
96 Tiger.
FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM
 
Reply With Quote
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2005
Foxtrot Oscar wrote:
> Poly-poly man wrote:
>
>> Long time user of mozilla 1.6.5, I just downloaded FireFox 1.0. One
>> annoyance I have is the fact that to edit pages, I have to use notepad!
>> I remember Mozilla, in its glory of mail, chat, composer, etc. all in
>> one. Is there any composer that I can get for FireFox?

>
>
> This bugs me sometimes too, but I just have to remember to right-click
> on the file and 'Edit' in Notepad before I open it. A source editing
> extension would be good though...


Launchy will allow you to edit the source in an editor of your choice.

Lee
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2005
On 2005-02-13, Poly-poly man <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Definately. It would be sooooooo cool if they made a FireFox suite,
> including thunderbird and stuff in it. But for now, I can edit with
> notepad, or the old fashioned Mozilla.


Huh? Isn't the Mozilla the "FireFox Suite" you're dreaming about?
If not, why not?

The purpose of creating FireFox and Thunderbird in th first place was to
make them stand-alone applications without the additional bloat a suite
imposes. If this isn't what you want, Mozilla is functionally just as good
and offers the integration you desire.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Mullen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2005
John Thompson wrote:
> On 2005-02-13, Poly-poly man <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Definately. It would be sooooooo cool if they made a FireFox suite,
>>including thunderbird and stuff in it. But for now, I can edit with
>>notepad, or the old fashioned Mozilla.

>
>
> Huh? Isn't the Mozilla the "FireFox Suite" you're dreaming about?
> If not, why not?
>
> The purpose of creating FireFox and Thunderbird in th first place was to
> make them stand-alone applications without the additional bloat a suite
> imposes. If this isn't what you want, Mozilla is functionally just as good
> and offers the integration you desire.
>


Besides, the issue of bloat is, in my opinion, way over-bloated, err,
overblown. If you're running both FF and TB there is little advantage
over the Suite in memory usage or disk footprint. This is especially
true on any "modern" system, that is, anything up from about a 233MHz
box with 128 Mb of RAM. And the stand-alone apps have had all sorts of
useful stuff stripped out of them that requires installation of numerous
extensions, thereby negating the slim advantage they may have. You'll
have to pry the Suite from "my cold dead hands."

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/moz.html
Marriage changes passion. Suddenly you're in bed with a relative.
 
Reply With Quote
 
FoxWolfie Galen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2005
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:25:27 -0500, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Besides, the issue of bloat is, in my opinion, way over-bloated, err,
> overblown. If you're running both FF and TB there is little advantage
> over the Suite in memory usage or disk footprint.


But if one already has a favorite mail and news client, as I suspect most
people do, then FF is exactly what they might want.
--
FoxWolfie
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can Firefox 1.5 be installed along side Firefox 1.0.6? Zygon Curry Firefox 6 09-14-2005 11:28 AM
Firefox/Linux import bookmarks from Firefox/Windows? Marek Williams Firefox 2 06-11-2005 04:22 PM
Yahoo! Toolbar Beta for Firefox - Not Compatible with Firefox 1.0.2? NA Firefox 6 04-02-2005 06:13 PM
Firefox gamed - Drudge getting around Firefox popup blocker Venger Firefox 10 12-22-2004 04:37 AM
so what does IE or any of the IE shells have over firefox ? (any anti firefox ppl bother looking at recent plugins available?) *ProteanThread* Firefox 12 10-20-2004 08:31 AM



Advertisments