Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to connect asp.net to database- More Information-

How to connect asp.net to database- More Information-

buzz

Thanks Ken,

I found a possible fix, one of which was changing a attribute in the machine.config file called userName="Machine" to userName="System". I tried that and it worked. Does this cause any problems or should I resolve the premission problem with Access?

That usually means that the ASP.NET account doesn't have Modify privileges
where the Access file is located. Access needs to open a locking (.LDB) file
so the current account has to have the right to create the file.

"buzz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SyKre.42246$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I've tried to use the Data Wizard to connect to the Northwind sample
> database in Office. I can preview the data in the data adapter, but when I
> run the ASP page I get this error....
>
> The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\SAMPLES\Northwind.mdb'. It is already
> opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its
> data.
>

> Any help or links to resolve this would be appreciated......

Craig Deelsnyder

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:40:36 -0500, buzz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks Ken,
>
> I found a possible fix, one of which was changing a attribute in the
> machine.config file called userName="Machine" to userName="System". I
> tried that and it worked. Does this cause any problems or should I
> resolve the premission problem with Access?
>
> That usually means that the ASP.NET account doesn't have Modify
> privileges
> where the Access file is located. Access needs to open a locking (.LDB)
> file
> so the current account has to have the right to create the file.

I would recommend trying to fix the permission problem. Normally you just
need to give the aspnet user the proper permissions to the folder where
the database file is at.

The reason I recommend against the machine.config tweak you made is that
now you've given the aspnet process system-level rights, like there used
to be with old ASP by default. Very powerful, too powerful, that's why
they 'locked' this down by default on purpose (setting it to machine), to
help prevent 'exploits' or malicious code from being able to take over a
server, in essence.

--
Craig Deelsnyder
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET