Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Number of unread messages in T-bird 1.0

Number of unread messages in T-bird 1.0

Gerry

Good evening.

I have a number of accounts, with their own inboxes, which are normally
collapsed. In order to see which accounts have unread mail I have to
expand all the accounts. Is there a way to show the number of unread
messages next to the account name when it is collapsed?

Any help would be appreciated.
Gerry.

Moz Champion

Gerry wrote:

> Good evening.
>
> I have a number of accounts, with their own inboxes, which are normally
> collapsed. In order to see which accounts have unread mail I have to
> expand all the accounts. Is there a way to show the number of unread
> messages next to the account name when it is collapsed?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Gerry.

Sure

At the top of the account listing to the right of Name is a little box
with a + mark within it. Click on that
You have a choice of Unread, Total, and Size

Enable Unread, and an Unread column will appear, showing you the unread
in each account/folder

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Gerry

Hi Moz, thanks for the reply.
Maybe(definitely) I am a bit thick. I see a drop-down listbox “View”
where I can select read, unread, important etc. but this is on a per
folder basis. I.e. account Gerry has an inbox which shows 1 unread message.
- Gerry
- Inbox(1)
- Drafts
- Templates
- Etc.
When the account is collapsed, only the account name ‘Gerry’ is visible
which doesn’t indicate the number of unread messages.
+ Gerry
+ Nora
+ Stephen
etc..
With a number of accounts I have to expand all accounts and scroll down
to check everything. I just can’t seem to find the box you are referring
to:-\

TIA,
Gerry.
Moz Champion wrote:
> Gerry wrote:
>
>> Good evening.
>>
>> I have a number of accounts, with their own inboxes, which are
>> normally collapsed. In order to see which accounts have unread mail I
>> have to expand all the accounts. Is there a way to show the number of
>> unread messages next to the account name when it is collapsed?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>> Gerry.

> Sure
>
> At the top of the account listing to the right of Name is a little box
> with a + mark within it. Click on that
> You have a choice of Unread, Total, and Size
>
> Enable Unread, and an Unread column will appear, showing you the unread
> in each account/folder

Moz Champion

Gerry wrote:

> Hi Moz, thanks for the reply.
> Maybe(definitely) I am a bit thick. I see a drop-down listbox “View”
> where I can select read, unread, important etc. but this is on a per
> folder basis. I.e. account Gerry has an inbox which shows 1 unread message.
> - Gerry
> - Inbox(1)
> - Drafts
> - Templates
> - Etc.
> When the account is collapsed, only the account name ‘Gerry’ is visible
> which doesn’t indicate the number of unread messages.
> + Gerry
> + Nora
> + Stephen
> etc..
> With a number of accounts I have to expand all accounts and scroll down
> to check everything. I just can’t seem to find the box you are referring
> to:-\
>
> TIA,
> Gerry.
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Gerry wrote:
>>
>>> Good evening.
>>>
>>> I have a number of accounts, with their own inboxes, which are
>>> normally collapsed. In order to see which accounts have unread mail I
>>> have to expand all the accounts. Is there a way to show the number of
>>> unread messages next to the account name when it is collapsed?
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>> Gerry.

>> Sure
>>
>> At the top of the account listing to the right of Name is a little
>> box with a + mark within it. Click on that
>> You have a choice of Unread, Total, and Size
>>
>> Enable Unread, and an Unread column will appear, showing you the
>> unread in each account/folder

It would be appreaciatted if you bottom posted, thanks.

Look ABOVE the accounts, see that area marked Name ? Just to the right
of that is a little box with the + sign in it. Okay, maybe it doesnt
look like a + sign to you, its a small squarish icon to the right of the
name in the account listing, just above the scroll bar for the accounts

When an account has received new mail, it will be indicated with a green
arrow, open the account and you can see the unread in each folder of
that account

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Tony Raven

Moz Champion wrote:

> Look ABOVE the accounts, see that area marked Name ? Just to the right
> of that is a little box with the + sign in it. Okay, maybe it doesnt
> look like a + sign to you, its a small squarish icon to the right of the
> name in the account listing, just above the scroll bar for the accounts
>
> When an account has received new mail, it will be indicated with a green
> arrow, open the account and you can see the unread in each folder of
> that account

I'm the same as Gerry. There is no area with name marked on it above
the accounts list and no box above the scroll bar. The account list
window abuts straight onto the toolbars. Running TB v1.0

Tony

Gerry

Moz Champion wrote:
> Gerry wrote:
>
>> Hi Moz, thanks for the reply.
>> Maybe(definitely) I am a bit thick. I see a drop-down listbox “View”
>> where I can select read, unread, important etc. but this is on a per
>> folder basis. I.e. account Gerry has an inbox which shows 1 unread
>> message.
>> - Gerry
>> - Inbox(1)
>> - Drafts
>> - Templates
>> - Etc.
>> When the account is collapsed, only the account name ‘Gerry’ is
>> visible which doesn’t indicate the number of unread messages.
>> + Gerry
>> + Nora
>> + Stephen
>> etc..
>> With a number of accounts I have to expand all accounts and scroll
>> down to check everything. I just can’t seem to find the box you are
>> referring to:-\
>>
>> TIA,
>> Gerry.
>> Moz Champion wrote:

>>> Sure
>>>
>>> At the top of the account listing to the right of Name is a little
>>> box with a + mark within it. Click on that
>>> You have a choice of Unread, Total, and Size
>>>
>>> Enable Unread, and an Unread column will appear, showing you the
>>> unread in each account/folder
>>>

> It would be appreaciatted if you bottom posted, thanks.
>
> Look ABOVE the accounts, see that area marked Name ? Just to the right
> of that is a little box with the + sign in it. Okay, maybe it doesnt
> look like a + sign to you, its a small squarish icon to the right of the
> name in the account listing, just above the scroll bar for the accounts
>
> When an account has received new mail, it will be indicated with a green
> arrow, open the account and you can see the unread in each folder of
> that account

Hi, Moz.

Bottom post? I always prefer top as you don't have to scroll down a
lengthy thread in order to read the reply. Anyway that out of the way;
as the next post (Tony) I don't have this box. Are we both talking
version 1.0?

Thanks,
Bottom posted Gerry

Moz Champion

Tony Raven wrote:

> Moz Champion wrote:
>

>> Look ABOVE the accounts, see that area marked Name ? Just to the
>> right of that is a little box with the + sign in it. Okay, maybe it
>> doesnt look like a + sign to you, its a small squarish icon to the
>> right of the name in the account listing, just above the scroll bar
>> for the accounts
>>
>> When an account has received new mail, it will be indicated with a
>> green arrow, open the account and you can see the unread in each
>> folder of that account
>>

> I'm the same as Gerry. There is no area with name marked on it above
> the accounts list and no box above the scroll bar. The account list
> window abuts straight onto the toolbars. Running TB v1.0
>
> Tony

What exists between the listing of your first account and the Get Mail icon?

You are using the 3pane display format correct?
i.e. account pane subject pane message pane ?

No scroll bar if your account list doesnt exceed the space available.
Make the account area smaller (using the second layout in preferences
[account pane is same size as subject pane]) and you get the scroll bar
I was referring to. Alternately, make your account listing longer
(opening all the show all may do it)

Oh yes, what theme are you using? Switch back to Thunderbird Default
perhaps, the account pane may not show all headers/columns in other
themes. Switch back to default theme, engane Unread column for
accounts, then change back to your preferred theme. See if it sticks.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Moz Champion

Gerry wrote:

> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Gerry wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Moz, thanks for the reply.
>>> Maybe(definitely) I am a bit thick. I see a drop-down listbox “View”
>>> where I can select read, unread, important etc. but this is on a per
>>> folder basis. I.e. account Gerry has an inbox which shows 1 unread
>>> message.
>>> - Gerry
>>> - Inbox(1)
>>> - Drafts
>>> - Templates
>>> - Etc.
>>> When the account is collapsed, only the account name ‘Gerry’ is
>>> visible which doesn’t indicate the number of unread messages.
>>> + Gerry
>>> + Nora
>>> + Stephen
>>> etc..
>>> With a number of accounts I have to expand all accounts and scroll
>>> down to check everything. I just can’t seem to find the box you are
>>> referring to:-\
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Gerry.

>> It would be appreaciatted if you bottom posted, thanks.
>>
>> Look ABOVE the accounts, see that area marked Name ? Just to the
>> right of that is a little box with the + sign in it. Okay, maybe it
>> doesnt look like a + sign to you, its a small squarish icon to the
>> right of the name in the account listing, just above the scroll bar
>> for the accounts
>>
>> When an account has received new mail, it will be indicated with a
>> green arrow, open the account and you can see the unread in each
>> folder of that account
>>

> Hi, Moz.
>
> Bottom post? I always prefer top as you don't have to scroll down a
> lengthy thread in order to read the reply. Anyway that out of the way;
> as the next post (Tony) I don't have this box. Are we both talking
> version 1.0?
>
> Thanks,
> Bottom posted Gerry

The first rule of newsgroups is... When in Rome, do as the Romans do... <g>

The usual (most common) format for newsgroups is bottom post, this
maintains the entire thread in the order it was written, question,
followed by answer and so on, top to bottom.

In technical support groups, or where tech support questions are
answered (such as in this group), this format is especially favoured as
it eases the burden of followup. The people who answer your post are
not familiar with all aspects of your problem, so along with no editing,
the bottom post guide assists, because then they can simply scroll up in
one message and read whats been done or asked previously in the thread.
If all replies are bottom posted, then one can read the entire
'conversation' just by starting at the top and reading.

You dont want to scroll use page down or page end or simply hit the
space bar until you are at the bottom.

See my reply to Tony, you using a different theme than default maybe?

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Tony Raven

Moz Champion wrote:

> What exists between the listing of your first account and the Get Mail
> icon?

Nothing

> You are using the 3pane display format correct?
> i.e. account pane subject pane message pane ?

Yes, in Classic View

> No scroll bar if your account list doesnt exceed the space available.
> Make the account area smaller (using the second layout in preferences
> [account pane is same size as subject pane]) and you get the scroll bar
> I was referring to. Alternately, make your account listing longer
> (opening all the show all may do it)

The scroll bar is there, just nothing between it and the toolbar

> Oh yes, what theme are you using? Switch back to Thunderbird Default
> perhaps, the account pane may not show all headers/columns in other
> themes. Switch back to default theme, engane Unread column for
> accounts, then change back to your preferred theme. See if it sticks.

I'm using Littlebird theme but have tried the default - no difference.
Still no boxes over the folder pane.

Tony

Tony Raven

Tony Raven wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>

>> What exists between the listing of your first account and the Get Mail
>> icon?
>>

> Nothing

Sorted. You need to go to Tools/Options/Advanced and tick the "Show
expanded columns in folder pane" under General Settings to get the boxes
you are talking about.

Tony