Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox will not work

Firefox will not work

michaelburkett@gmail.com

Firefox stopped working on my win xp machine. When I try to launch the
program firefox.exe is running but the program never launches. I also
tried running Firefox in safe mode which also failed. Any ideas. I
can't think of anything that has changed on my machine.

Leonidas Jones

> Firefox stopped working on my win xp machine. When I try to launch the
> program firefox.exe is running but the program never launches. I also
> tried running Firefox in safe mode which also failed. Any ideas. I
> can't think of anything that has changed on my machine.

Use Task Manager to kill all running processes of Firefox, then try again.

Lee

michaelburkett@gmail.com

I have done this with no success.

Leonidas Jones

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have done this with no success.

Have you rebooted the machine?

If so, can you open Profile Manager?

To open Profile Manager:

Start>>Run

Type firefox.exe -p in the field. Note the space before the dash, it is
important.

If Profile Manager opens, create a new test profile ans see if FF will run.

Lee

Xanophile

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Firefox stopped working on my win xp machine. When I try to launch the
> program firefox.exe is running but the program never launches. I also
> tried running Firefox in safe mode which also failed. Any ideas. I
> can't think of anything that has changed on my machine.

This is getting to be quite common, actually. I had 3 people mention it
to me on the week end. Among other things (links not working, program
closing itself randomly). I don't think FF is ready for the big time
yet. If they want to keep the momentum going they need to get 1.1 out
*NOW.* Today. A minute ago.

As for your problem, the only thing that actually worked for any length
of time was re-installing the program overtop of itself. Other fixes
worked for a few instances of the program opening, but not for long.

Firefox just seems to degrade after a while. Puts new meaning to the
term 'vaporware,' anyway.

They need to haul ass and fix it.

michaelburkett@gmail.com

This did it...thanks....hopefully I can restore all of my old settings.
Thanks

Leonidas Jones

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This did it...thanks....hopefully I can restore all of my old settings.
> Thanks

Extensions and themes should be reinstalled. Go one at a time and trst,
just in case one of them was causing your problem.

Just go into the old profile folder, and copy bookmarks.html, then paste
it into the new profile folder.

As far as anything else, take a look at Irwin's profiles help page for
guidance:

Lee

John Thompson

On 2005-02-07, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This did it...thanks....hopefully I can restore all of my old settings.

Make sure there's not a lock file in your old profile directory. Sometimes
that's enough to keep FF from starting.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

jjdominican jjdominican is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas Jones
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have done this with no success.

Have you rebooted the machine?

If so, can you open Profile Manager?

To open Profile Manager:

Start>>Run

Type firefox.exe -p in the field. Note the space before the dash, it is
important.

If Profile Manager opens, create a new test profile ans see if FF will run.

Lee
Leonidas you r awesome. this helped me alot. i got my firefox working again

vinnyM vinnyM is offline
Junior Member

Thank you for this article. The remedy with Profile manager worked well for me.
I have been tearing my hair out trying to get Firefox back!!
I thought it was a virus or something. I had gone and bought a different vrus checker, and this also did not make a difference.
Thanks for this article. Well done
Vinnym