Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > restricted sites

restricted sites

King of Red Lions

Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on
FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for a
number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something like
the restricted sites section in the option of IE. Perhaps there is a
extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance!

David Harrison

On 2/7/2005 4:00 PM, King of Red Lions said:
> Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on
> FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for a
> number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something like
> the restricted sites section in the option of IE. Perhaps there is a
> extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance!

Why not use a router or software firewall that does the same thing? That
way one set of restrictions applies to all browsers.

cheers,

David H

Leonidas Jones

David Harrison wrote:
> On 2/7/2005 4:00 PM, King of Red Lions said:
>
>> Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on
>> FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for a
>> number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something
>> like the restricted sites section in the option of IE. Perhaps there
>> is a extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance!

> Why not use a router or software firewall that does the same thing? That
> way one set of restrictions applies to all browsers.
>
> cheers,
>
> David H

Or restrict the sites with your HOSTS file.

Lee

Ranjit

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> David Harrison wrote:
>
>> On 2/7/2005 4:00 PM, King of Red Lions said:
>>
>>> Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on
>>> FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for
>>> a number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something
>>> like the restricted sites section in the option of IE. Perhaps there
>>> is a extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance!

>> Why not use a router or software firewall that does the same thing?
>> That way one set of restrictions applies to all browsers.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> David H

> Or restrict the sites with your HOSTS file.
>
> Lee

I am not sure if a complete blocking is what the OT expects.
May be he wants to block some sites for his kids but not for him .

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:00:08 +0000, in message
<cu838r$b0s$(E-Mail Removed)>, King of Red Lions wrote:

> Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on
> FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for a
> number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something like
> the restricted sites section in the option of IE.

IE's "Restricted Sites" zone does not to my knowledge completely restrict
you from viewing the site. What it does is disable some of the
capabilities of the site. Exactly which capabilities are disabled
is configurable. For example

Javascript, VBScript, etc. (scripting)
Java
Run ActiveX & plug-ins
Download ActiveX
Download files
Sub-frames from other sites.

> Perhaps there is a
> extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance!

There is an extension similar to IE's security zones

http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_policymanager.html.en

--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

raja_madasu raja_madasu is offline
Junior Member

hello sir, this is raja form serveen software systems (P)Ltd. i want to restrict sites form mozilla firefox,Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for a
number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something like
the restricted sites section in the option of IE. Perhaps there is a
extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

icedogo icedogo is offline
Junior Member
Location: Ridgewood Queens

Hello everyone,

thanks for all the quality information regarding Host files blocking for
websites viewed on Firefox and IE 7. However, I tried the solution just like the other individuals and nothing seemed to work.

Is it better to block a site via host file or throught the browswer itself ??

Can someone help me on this?
And if its better via Host file - what is the correct to do it ?

thanks IceodogO

using python to visit web sites and print the web sites image to files imx Python 10 03-14-2007 02:19 PM
Sites about web-sites ? Jasbird HTML 1 09-28-2006 06:21 PM
Restricted sites? Tony Computer Support 6 09-23-2006 02:18 AM
How do prevent sites to be loaded in other sites frames? Stefan Caliandro HTML 2 02-14-2005 06:05 PM
ISO: Web sites for images (pay sites preferred) Kevin Buchan ASP .Net 1 02-20-2004 09:34 AM

Advertisments