Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > avoiding postback

avoiding postback

=?Utf-8?B?Tkg=?=

Hi,

I have two dropdown lists in a web form. When you choose an entry in the
first list the code retrieves records from the database and displays them in
the second dropdownlist.

Is there a way of avoiding a postback with this by maybe retrieving all the
data at the start and then filtering what should be displayed on the second
dropdown list on the client side?

Thanks

Brock Allen

Sure this can be done, but it requires lots of javascript that you'd need
to write. The model with ASP.NET is a server side model, so most anything
that is dynamic and needs code to execute will go back to the server. If
this is not desired then, like I mentioned above, you'll need to build that
infrastructure yourself.

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen

> Hi,
>
> I have two dropdown lists in a web form. When you choose an entry in
> the first list the code retrieves records from the database and
> displays them in the second dropdownlist.
>
> Is there a way of avoiding a postback with this by maybe retrieving
> all the data at the start and then filtering what should be displayed
> on the second dropdown list on the client side?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Tkg=?=

Thanks, thats pretty much what I thought. It would be nice if Microsoft had
some friendly client side code which would work easily with asp.net, I know
that certain things can be done but its just rather overly complicated.