Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > problems with both firefox and thunderbird

problems with both firefox and thunderbird

Mike W.

I installed both Firefox and Thunderbird. Anytime I try to start either of
them I get the windows error saying that firefox.exe or thunderbird.exe has
failed. Anyone got any hints? I have Windows XP SP2.

TIA

Mike

someone

> I installed both Firefox and Thunderbird.

Hmmm I have and use both no problem but that doesn't help, I would
remove one or the other (or both) reinstall only one of um for now then
see what happens.

--
Rob (Win XP SP2) Fruth - Houston, Tx
http://www.rfruth.net

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

Mike W.

Been there done that. Have tried any number of permutations on
installation. I have turned off all virus software as well.

"someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2EzNd.26596$(E-Mail Removed). com...

>> I installed both Firefox and Thunderbird.

> Hmmm I have and use both no problem but that doesn't help, I would remove
> one or the other (or both) reinstall only one of um for now then see what
> happens.
>

> --
> Rob (Win XP SP2) Fruth - Houston, Tx
> http://www.rfruth.net
>
> 1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
> 1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
> 2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

someone

> Been there done that.

I don't have the quick snappy answer (or the long one for that matter)
for why Firefox and Tbird (ver 1.0) won't run but by uninstall in this
case I'd start with the Windows add remove programs then manually check
all folders for stray files then make sure the Windows registry is clean
(or use a restore point) (nothing for mozilla in the registry) also the
hardware and software/firmware is okay (no spyware, adware etc.) You may
have done all that but what is the is the error message (does Firefox
start to run or does it have a problem right away ((administrative
access)) ?

--
Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
http://www.rfruth.net

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

Mike W.

I'll try the extreme clean that you mention next. I have AdAware running
showing no spyware. Neither program will start... I click the icon and in
about 5 seconds I get the 'Microsoft Error Report' dialog asking me if I
want to send them an error report. I can start it withe the -p option which
allows me to mess with the profiles, but still can't get the actual browser
to come up.

Thanks.

"someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zkSNd.26869$(E-Mail Removed) om...

>> Been there done that.

> I don't have the quick snappy answer (or the long one for that matter) for
> why Firefox and Tbird (ver 1.0) won't run but by uninstall in this case
> I'd start with the Windows add remove programs then manually check all
> folders for stray files then make sure the Windows registry is clean (or
> use a restore point) (nothing for mozilla in the registry) also the
> hardware and software/firmware is okay (no spyware, adware etc.) You may
> have done all that but what is the is the error message (does Firefox
> start to run or does it have a problem right away ((administrative
> access)) ?
>
> --
> Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
> http://www.rfruth.net
>
> 1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
> 1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
> 2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

Mike W.

It was no help. I guess I'll just keep using Outlook and IE... shucks.

"Mike W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0sSNd.20612$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll try the extreme clean that you mention next. I have AdAware running
> showing no spyware. Neither program will start... I click the icon and in
> about 5 seconds I get the 'Microsoft Error Report' dialog asking me if I
> want to send them an error report. I can start it withe the -p option
> which allows me to mess with the profiles, but still can't get the actual
> browser to come up.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zkSNd.26869$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>
>>> Been there done that.

>> I don't have the quick snappy answer (or the long one for that matter)
>> for why Firefox and Tbird (ver 1.0) won't run but by uninstall in this
>> case I'd start with the Windows add remove programs then manually check
>> all folders for stray files then make sure the Windows registry is clean
>> (or use a restore point) (nothing for mozilla in the registry) also the
>> hardware and software/firmware is okay (no spyware, adware etc.) You may
>> have done all that but what is the is the error message (does Firefox
>> start to run or does it have a problem right away ((administrative
>> access)) ?
>>
>> --
>> Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
>> http://www.rfruth.net
>>
>> 1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
>> 1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
>> 2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

Jeff Evans

Mike W. wrote:
> I installed both Firefox and Thunderbird. Anytime I try to start either of
> them I get the windows error saying that firefox.exe or thunderbird.exe has
> failed. Anyone got any hints? I have Windows XP SP2.

If uninstall/reinstall did not work then it's probably an OS problem.
Did they ever work? If you can remember a date, you could try system
restoring. Otherwise, I guess you'll have to reformat...

Mike W.

They've never worked on my machine. I have them both on my laptop where
they work fine, but this is my home pc (A Dell). I formatted and restored
the Dell build about two months ago... and there is a 0% chance of me
formatting again just to get these two programs working. I was hoping a
bunch of others would have had the problem too, but apparently not. I cant
think of anything I have on the PC that could be so destructive to these two
programs?

Thanks.

news:cuea9s$5g1$(E-Mail Removed)...