Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Permissions Help with asp.net saving uploaded files

Permissions Help with asp.net saving uploaded files

darrel

I have a function that uploads a file to a specific directory, making the
directory if it doesn't already exist.

This works, unless I try to upload a file to a pre-existing directory. If I
do that, I get this vague error:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

From what I can tell, this is maybe a permissions issue?

'aspnet_wp account' has full control over the parent directory and any
directory it makes. The only oddity is that upon first creation of a
directory, I get prompted by the browser to enter my own network
username/pwd.

I'm completely stuck on this and really have no idea what to check for. Is
there anyway to get a more specific error message out of the application
than the one above?

-Darrel

darrel

> I'm completely stuck on this and really have no idea what to check for. Is
> there anyway to get a more specific error message out of the application
> than the one above?

Aha. I figured that part out:

exc.InnerException.Message

Which gives me a much more specific answer...access denied for the
particular directory I'm trying to save to.

So, what should I check for? What is odd is that my application is just fine
creating the directory and then immediately uploading some files to it. It's
only on subsequent attempts does it get the access deined error.

-Darrel