Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Not a Firefox Fan - Yet

Not a Firefox Fan - Yet

TG

I installed Firefox yesterday. Appears to be very marginally faster than IE6
on my old 850MHz laptop. I did also managed to register on a particular
secure site that continually died in IE6.

However ...I already have Java 1.5 (ie v5) installed. Works fine in IE6. How
on earth do you get it working in Firefox. I have even allowed Fiefox to
manually download and reinstall. However it seems still not to work - I have
logged into ebay and the Java preview window does not work.

Unlike I can get this working soon then its bye-bye Mozilla. I need my ebay
working properly and this needs Java.

Tony

Gregg

TG wrote:
> I installed Firefox yesterday. Appears to be very marginally faster than IE6
> on my old 850MHz laptop. I did also managed to register on a particular
> secure site that continually died in IE6.
>
> However ...I already have Java 1.5 (ie v5) installed. Works fine in IE6. How
> on earth do you get it working in Firefox. I have even allowed Fiefox to
> manually download and reinstall. However it seems still not to work - I have
> logged into ebay and the Java preview window does not work.
>
> Unlike I can get this working soon then its bye-bye Mozilla. I need my ebay
> working properly and this needs Java.
>
> Tony

Why the big hurry? Don't you still have IE for Ebay. Java works fine for
me in Firefox and not sure what your problem could be, but hopefully
some Firefox technically superior folks would help. I use Firefox for my
primary browser and it is my favorite, but I also am sometimes in a mood
that I like to use Opera, Mozilla, Maxthon, or even IE for various
reasons. At first when I began using Firefox I decided this was it, my
only browser, but alas I find while it is my favorite a different
browser just breaks the monotony from time to time. The other day I was
having problems navigation MSN.com and my msn with IE and Firefox flew
right through. Also, with any new browser that one uses it takes getting
used to. If one is looking for just speed, Opera for me is the fastest,
especially for going back to a previously viewed site, but sometimes it
renders pages a little bleakly. I don't think any one browser does
everything better, though in my opinion Firefox is the best overall, by
a good measure. Like I said earlier, someone will probably pipe in and
help with your Java problem. If not and if you have the time try Google,
some of the other newsgroups, or the Firefox message boards for a
solution. Good luck.

Gregg

TG

I spend too long in ebay to use a browser which may have problems with it.

I have actually just been to the Sun test page
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and it tells me that I have
the latest version of the JVM and it is installed just fine.

But... the Item Description page in Ebay still only allows raw HTML, whereas
IE6 allows me to go WSIWYG which is what I need.

Any help appreciated - don't want to give up on Firefox!!!

Tony

"Gregg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> TG wrote:
> > I installed Firefox yesterday. Appears to be very marginally faster than

IE6
> > on my old 850MHz laptop. I did also managed to register on a particular
> > secure site that continually died in IE6.
> >
> > However ...I already have Java 1.5 (ie v5) installed. Works fine in IE6.

How
> > on earth do you get it working in Firefox. I have even allowed Fiefox to
> > manually download and reinstall. However it seems still not to work - I

have
> > logged into ebay and the Java preview window does not work.
> >
> > Unlike I can get this working soon then its bye-bye Mozilla. I need my

ebay
> > working properly and this needs Java.
> >
> > Tony
> >

> Why the big hurry? Don't you still have IE for Ebay. Java works fine for
> me in Firefox and not sure what your problem could be, but hopefully
> some Firefox technically superior folks would help. I use Firefox for my
> primary browser and it is my favorite, but I also am sometimes in a mood
> that I like to use Opera, Mozilla, Maxthon, or even IE for various
> reasons. At first when I began using Firefox I decided this was it, my
> only browser, but alas I find while it is my favorite a different
> browser just breaks the monotony from time to time. The other day I was
> having problems navigation MSN.com and my msn with IE and Firefox flew
> right through. Also, with any new browser that one uses it takes getting
> used to. If one is looking for just speed, Opera for me is the fastest,
> especially for going back to a previously viewed site, but sometimes it
> renders pages a little bleakly. I don't think any one browser does
> everything better, though in my opinion Firefox is the best overall, by
> a good measure. Like I said earlier, someone will probably pipe in and
> help with your Java problem. If not and if you have the time try Google,
> some of the other newsgroups, or the Firefox message boards for a
> solution. Good luck.
>
> Gregg

Gunther

In article <4204fa11$0$19162$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I spend too long in ebay to use a browser which may have problems with it.
>
> I have actually just been to the Sun test page
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and it tells me that I have
> the latest version of the JVM and it is installed just fine.
>
> But... the Item Description page in Ebay still only allows raw HTML, whereas
> IE6 allows me to go WSIWYG which is what I need.
>
> Any help appreciated - don't want to give up on Firefox!!!

If you can use Firefox to see the correct results at
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
them the problem ain't Firefox: it's ebay's problem.

There are worse things than having to learn HTML in order
to sell stuff on ebay.