Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Passing User Credentials to site running under Integrated Security

Passing User Credentials to site running under Integrated Security

cdlipfert@hotmail.com

Our intranet is running under windows integrated security. We have
domain users that want to access our intranet site via ssl vpn. SSL
VPN can not authenticate against services that run under windows
integrated security. In order to get around this issue it seems that we
would need to create a login page on a separate site that runs under
anonymous security. Then pass the users credentials to the site
running under integrated security. Has anyone had this issue or done
anything like this before? Is it even possible to pass user credentils
to a site running under integrated security?

Nicole Calinoiu

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Our intranet is running under windows integrated security. We have
> domain users that want to access our intranet site via ssl vpn. SSL
> VPN can not authenticate against services that run under windows
> integrated security.

That's not necessarily true. Have you actually tested this from a VPN
client?

> In order to get around this issue it seems that we
> would need to create a login page on a separate site that runs under
> anonymous security. Then pass the users credentials to the site
> running under integrated security.

If Windows authentication really doesn't work, perhaps basic authentication
might? This would allow you to support VPN clients with far less changes to
your current application.

> Has anyone had this issue or done
> anything like this before? Is it even possible to pass user credentils
> to a site running under integrated security?

Yes, but without any problems. Are you actually seeing a specific problem?
If so, what is it? If not, why not test authentication over VPN against a
simple sample application?

cdlipfert@hotmail.com

Using a Cisco VPN client, everything works fine. We are using a thrid
party product that does SSL VPN. VPN via http/ssl. This is where we
run into problems. because the browser client cannot pass user
credentials to our iis server which is set to run under integrated
security.

Nicole Calinoiu wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Our intranet is running under windows integrated security. We have
> > domain users that want to access our intranet site via ssl vpn. SSL
> > VPN can not authenticate against services that run under windows
> > integrated security.

> That's not necessarily true. Have you actually tested this from a VPN
> client?
>

> > In order to get around this issue it seems that we
> > would need to create a login page on a separate site that runs under
> > anonymous security. Then pass the users credentials to the site
> > running under integrated security.

> If Windows authentication really doesn't work, perhaps basic authentication
> might? This would allow you to support VPN clients with far less changes to
> your current application.
>

> > Has anyone had this issue or done
> > anything like this before? Is it even possible to pass user credentils
> > to a site running under integrated security?

> Yes, but without any problems. Are you actually seeing a specific problem?
> If so, what is it? If not, why not test authentication over VPN against a
> simple sample application?

cdlipfert@hotmail.com

We are recieving the following error "HTTP Error 400 - Request is badly
formed." I believe we are receiving the error because the SSL VPN
client is attempting to send a Kerberos ticket and our IIS server is
expecting NTLM.

> Using a Cisco VPN client, everything works fine. We are using a thrid
> party product that does SSL VPN. VPN via http/ssl. This is where we
> run into problems. because the browser client cannot pass user
> credentials to our iis server which is set to run under integrated
> security.
>

> Nicole Calinoiu wrote:
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > > Our intranet is running under windows integrated security. We have
> > > domain users that want to access our intranet site via ssl vpn. SSL
> > > VPN can not authenticate against services that run under windows
> > > integrated security.

> > That's not necessarily true. Have you actually tested this from a VPN
> > client?
> >

> > > In order to get around this issue it seems that we
> > > would need to create a login page on a separate site that runs under
> > > anonymous security. Then pass the users credentials to the site
> > > running under integrated security.

> > If Windows authentication really doesn't work, perhaps basic authentication
> > might? This would allow you to support VPN clients with far less changes to
> > your current application.
> >

> > > Has anyone had this issue or done
> > > anything like this before? Is it even possible to pass user credentils
> > > to a site running under integrated security?

> > Yes, but without any problems. Are you actually seeing a specific problem?
> > If so, what is it? If not, why not test authentication over VPN against a
> > simple sample application?

Ken Schaefer

Is there anything in the httperr.log file that might give you a clue as to
why IIS thinks the request is badly formed?

Cheers
Ken

--
IIS Blog: www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/
Web: www.adopenstatic.com

:
: (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
: > Using a Cisco VPN client, everything works fine. We are using a thrid
: > party product that does SSL VPN. VPN via http/ssl. This is where we
: > run into problems. because the browser client cannot pass user
: > credentials to our iis server which is set to run under integrated
: > security.
: >
: >
: > Nicole Calinoiu wrote:
: > > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
: > > > Our intranet is running under windows integrated security. We have
: > > > domain users that want to access our intranet site via ssl vpn. SSL
: > > > VPN can not authenticate against services that run under windows
: > > > integrated security.
: > >
[...]

This sort of thing is not a general SSL VPN problem, so it might be a good
idea to get in touch with the VPN vendor to see if this is a known issue
with their product and if there might be some configuration changes you
could apply to avoid it. Failing that, you might want to try allowing basic
authentication on the app (after making sure the app requires https use).