Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How can people access my webform

How can people access my webform

thanh toan

i have a simple webform. My home network has two computers and the second
one can access the webform in webroot of the computer with IIS.

I bring the computer with iis(laptop) to school and get connected to the
internet.
How can I configure my laptop that has iis so internet people can access the
webform. thank you.

Derek Harmon

"thanh toan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:d806os$kvk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I bring the computer with iis(laptop) to school and get connected to the
> internet.
> How can I configure my laptop that has iis so internet people can access the
> webform. thank you.

A better question is how can you configure your school network to allow internet
people ot access your laptop. Odds are, your school network will block incoming
network requests using a firewall.

Assuming that's not the case, you need to figure out what the IP address on your
laptop is when it's connected to the school network. This will probably be auto-
assigned using DHCP (the school network makes up an IP address in its subnet
and assigns it to your laptop along with a lease for a certain time period). Check
your Network Properties, this can usually tell you what your IP address is.

Then, you need people on the Internet to try and connect to your IP address, like
http://10.0.0.1/ (if your IP were the fictitious 10.0.0.1). Your dynamically-assigned
IP is likely to expire after some period of time, so you need to tell everybody on the
Internet your new IP address when DHCP assigns you a new one.

Having a domain name, like http://example.com/ is impractical because of the
constant expiration of a DHCP-generated IP address. By the time your IP had
propagated to all DNS servers with a domain name, it's likely your lease on that
IP address will have expired.

If it sounds like there are numerous obstacles -- it's because the playing field was
designed that way. Your LAN that let's you access the Internet intends for you
to be a client only, not a server. ISPs can charge more money to grant servers
access to the Internet.

Derek Harmon