Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird Not Filtering Messages?

Thunderbird Not Filtering Messages?

Jamie_Manic

Im using Thunderbird to view newsgroups, yet I have a problem with
blocking people! I select someones email address, create a filter to
delete all messages from that person and yet I'm still getting messages
appearing from the people I apply this Delete filter to.

Am I doing something wrong?

Leonidas Jones

Jamie_Manic wrote:
> Im using Thunderbird to view newsgroups, yet I have a problem with
> blocking people! I select someones email address, create a filter to
> delete all messages from that person and yet I'm still getting messages
> appearing from the people I apply this Delete filter to.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

Filters on news will not act retroactively. The old messages will still
be there.

Lee

Jamie_Manic

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Jamie_Manic wrote:
>
>> Im using Thunderbird to view newsgroups, yet I have a problem with
>> blocking people! I select someones email address, create a filter to
>> delete all messages from that person and yet I'm still getting
>> messages appearing from the people I apply this Delete filter to.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?

> Filters on news will not act retroactively. The old messages will still
> be there.

Yes, but I'm talking about new messages. The messages are coming from
the same email I have chosen to delete as well.

graeme@invalid

Jamie_Manic wrote:
> Im using Thunderbird to view newsgroups, yet I have a problem with
> blocking people! I select someones email address, create a filter to
> delete all messages from that person and yet I'm still getting messages
> appearing from the people I apply this Delete filter to.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

Check their munged Email address, I had one troll change hers eight
times in one session making the filters useless.

Also I have noticed that creating a filter from the right click button
doesn't seem to work, you need to use message\create filter from message.

--
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Jamie_Manic

graeme@invalid wrote:
> Jamie_Manic wrote:
>
>> Im using Thunderbird to view newsgroups, yet I have a problem with
>> blocking people! I select someones email address, create a filter to
>> delete all messages from that person and yet I'm still getting
>> messages appearing from the people I apply this Delete filter to.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?

> Check their munged Email address, I had one troll change hers eight
> times in one session making the filters useless.

Yeah, I've checked that and it isn't changing.

> Also I have noticed that creating a filter from the right click button
> doesn't seem to work, you need to use message\create filter from message.

I have been doing it by the right click method, will try the long way
round, cheers!

Scratch

Jamie_Manic wrote:
> Im using Thunderbird to view newsgroups, yet I have a problem with
> blocking people! I select someones email address, create a filter to
> delete all messages from that person and yet I'm still getting messages
> appearing from the people I apply this Delete filter to.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

As am I

Scratch

Jamie_Manic wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Jamie_Manic wrote:
>>
>>> Im using Thunderbird to view newsgroups, yet I have a problem with
>>> blocking people! I select someones email address, create a filter to
>>> delete all messages from that person and yet I'm still getting
>>> messages appearing from the people I apply this Delete filter to.
>>>
>>> Am I doing something wrong?

>> Filters on news will not act retroactively. The old messages will
>> still be there.

> Yes, but I'm talking about new messages. The messages are coming from
> the same email I have chosen to delete as well.

Mine are coming from the NEWS GROUPS and won't save the filter. Didn't
have this problem with Explorer

J.Gonzalez Plaza

Scratch escribió:
> Jamie_Manic wrote:

>>> Filters on news will not act retroactively. The old messages will
>>> still be there.

>> Yes, but I'm talking about new messages. The messages are coming from
>> the same email I have chosen to delete as well.

> Mine are coming from the NEWS GROUPS and won't save the filter. Didn't
> have this problem with Explorer

I have the same problem!!!

But there must be a way to block them!!!

If you find a solution for it, would be really nice if you inf0rm me.

Thanks in advance!

J.Gonzalez

Splibbilla

xnews has a plonk and score file method.

afaik, xnews still dl's headers, but the posts don't show in the display once you restart xnews.

John Cougar Concentration Camp

Scratch wrote:
> Jamie_Manic wrote:

>>> Filters on news will not act retroactively. The old messages will
>>> still be there.

>> Yes, but I'm talking about new messages. The messages are coming from
>> the same email I have chosen to delete as well.

> Mine are coming from the NEWS GROUPS and won't save the filter. Didn't
> have this problem with Explorer

I don't think you can delete them. If you don't want to see them -
filter them as all ready read.
That way you will not see them.
If you find a better way - do share.