Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Direct Render

Direct Render

cameron

Is it possible to compile Firefox so that it can run without X? I am
setting up a kiosk type machine and would like to make it as lean as
possible and was thinking that if I could skip installing X it would be
sweet. Can Firefox, (if compiled with some special flags or whatever),
render without X installed?

Thanks

-Cam

Alvaro G. Vicario

*** cameron escribió/wrote (Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:00:57 -0600):
> Is it possible to compile Firefox so that it can run without X? I am
> setting up a kiosk type machine and would like to make it as lean as
> possible and was thinking that if I could skip installing X it would be
> sweet. Can Firefox, (if compiled with some special flags or whatever),
> render without X installed?

Maybe... But where is it supposed to _display_ the result?

--
-+ Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
+- http://www.demogracia.com (la web de humor barnizada para la intemperie)

cameron

Where does X display the result?

-Cam

*** cameron escribió/wrote (Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:44:25 -0600):
> Where does X display the result?

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand your needs.

--
-+ Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
+- http://www.demogracia.com (la web de humor barnizada para la intemperie)
++ Manda tus dudas al grupo, no a mi buzón
-+ Send your questions to the group, not to my mailbox

John Thompson

On 2005-01-30, Alvaro G. Vicario <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> *** cameron escribió/wrote (Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:00:57 -0600):
>> Is it possible to compile Firefox so that it can run without X? I am
>> setting up a kiosk type machine and would like to make it as lean as
>> possible and was thinking that if I could skip installing X it would be
>> sweet. Can Firefox, (if compiled with some special flags or whatever),
>> render without X installed?

> Maybe... But where is it supposed to _display_ the result?

Frame buffer?

--

-John ((E-Mail Removed))