Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FF How to move bookmarks folder

FF How to move bookmarks folder

Anonymous

Hi All

I expect this has been asked loads of times but how do I move the bookmarks
folder?

Firefox 1.0 running on Windows XP

Thanks in anticipation

RBM

Right click on the tool bar, choose customize, then drag the bookmarks
folder and drop it where you want it
"Anonymous" <x-directory> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I expect this has been asked loads of times but how do I move the
> bookmarks folder?
>
> Firefox 1.0 running on Windows XP
>
> Thanks in anticipation

Anonymous

Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I didn't make my request clear
enough.

What I meant to ask was how do I change where the bookmarks file is saved. I
back up a folder containing lots of vital stuff to another PC each week and
it would be convenient if the bookmarks file was in that folder rather than
docs & settings......

Any ideas?

"RBM" <rmottola1(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:f84Ld.46845$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right click on the tool bar, choose customize, then drag the bookmarks
> folder and drop it where you want it
> "Anonymous" <x-directory> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All
>>
>> I expect this has been asked loads of times but how do I move the
>> bookmarks folder?
>>
>> Firefox 1.0 running on Windows XP
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation

RBM

Sorry, I'm a real newbie, but try this: C:\Program Files\Mozilla
Firefox\defaults\profile
"Anonymous" <x-directory> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I didn't make my request clear
> enough.
>
> What I meant to ask was how do I change where the bookmarks file is saved.
> I back up a folder containing lots of vital stuff to another PC each week
> and it would be convenient if the bookmarks file was in that folder rather
> than docs & settings......
>
> Any ideas?
>

> "RBM" <rmottola1(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
> news:f84Ld.46845$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Right click on the tool bar, choose customize, then drag the bookmarks
>> folder and drop it where you want it
>> "Anonymous" <x-directory> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I expect this has been asked loads of times but how do I move the
>>> bookmarks folder?
>>>
>>> Firefox 1.0 running on Windows XP
>>>
>>> Thanks in anticipation

Ed Mullen

Anonymous wrote:

> Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I didn't make my request clear
> enough.
>
> What I meant to ask was how do I change where the bookmarks file is saved. I
> back up a folder containing lots of vital stuff to another PC each week and
> it would be convenient if the bookmarks file was in that folder rather than
> docs & settings......

Your bookmarks.html file is in your profile. You should be backing up
your entire profile folder on a regular basis anyway. Changing the
location of the profile can be done but there are a host of reasons to
NOT move your profile from its default location. I cannot recommend it
but if you must:

http://edmullen.net/moz.html

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Anonymous wrote:
> I expect this has been asked loads of times but how do I move the bookmarks
> folder?
> Firefox 1.0 running on Windows XP
> Thanks in anticipation

The entire set of bookmarks is in one file, bookmarks.html, and that
will be in your profile folder.

Be careful, you'll have a few of them. Find the right one based on date
modified and/or size. Or, if you understand HTML, find the right one
based on contents.

Leonidas Jones

Anonymous wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I expect this has been asked loads of times but how do I move the bookmarks
> folder?
>
> Firefox 1.0 running on Windows XP
>
> Thanks in anticipation

You can try adding a new pref in about:config.

Right click and add a new string pref:

browser.bookmarks.file

The value should be the path to your desired bookmarks file location.

Lee

Ed Mullen

Z wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:
>
>> I expect this has been asked loads of times but how do I move the
>> bookmarks folder?
>> Firefox 1.0 running on Windows XP
>> Thanks in anticipation

> The entire set of bookmarks is in one file, bookmarks.html, and that
> will be in your profile folder.
>
> Be careful, you'll have a few of them. Find the right one based on date
> modified and/or size. Or, if you understand HTML, find the right one
> based on contents.

<rant>
And then embark on a religious program of backups.

http://edmullen.net/moz.html
http://edmullen.net/moz.html#backup

I've been watching these groups since early 2003 and almost every day
some poor soul posts about having lost hundreds (or even thousands) of
emails in a system or program crash. I will always offer whatever
technical advice I can in those situations but I am way beyond sympathy
for anyone who has no backups. You might as well drive without a seat
belt, have unsafe sex, whatever. It's dumb. And, yeah, I'm living
proof that smart people do dumb things. It's still no excuse. Spend 30
or 40 bucks or find a free program but implement a regular effective
backup strategy. My Mozilla profiles are automatically backed up daily.
Sometimes in my screwing around with systems and software I actually
do it to myself. but I don't worry to much because I know I've got a
backup from 1 AM I can revert to. Hey, it's a matter of choice. Your
choice. You decide.

I gotta say, evangelizing about poorly coded sites is good. But I think
a more important target for evangelical efforts is to get people to back
up their data. It's cheap, it's simple, and you will be saved at some
point in your future. Whatever.
</rant>

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen wrote:
>> The entire set of bookmarks is in one file, bookmarks.html, and that
>> will be in your profile folder.
>>
>> Be careful, you'll have a few of them. Find the right one based on
>> date modified and/or size. Or, if you understand HTML, find the right
>> one based on contents.

> And then embark on a religious program of backups.

Yes! YES! I could not agree more.

And, for those Windows users who haven't used it, Windows Backup is
fairly capable. It's a bit difficult to navigate, at first, but it gets
the job done.

I have _daily_ backups scheduled. I can not imagine life w/o them.

Ed Mullen wrote:
> http://edmullen.net/moz.html

> The following are the two most important things I have to tell you.
> If you don't read another thing on this web site, read these two
> statements:
>
> Do NOT share a profile between any two Mozilla-based applications -
> never - ever!!! It's perfectly ok to run Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape,
> and Thunderbird on the same system. You can even run them at the same
> time. Just make sure you use a separate profile for each program.

Why not?

I've never changed my profile folder. I've just let TB, Mozilla or FF
set it. Would they ever choose the same folder?