Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird Newsgroup Message Problem

Thunderbird Newsgroup Message Problem

Alton B. Wilson

Recently installed Thunderbird on a Windows 2000 machine. The question
I have is how do I set Thunderbird to mark newsgroup messages as "READ"
when I leave a newsgroup? I would like to display only the messages
that I have not previously read, the next time I open up the newsgroup.

Thanks in advance,

Alton

Ranjit

Alton B. Wilson wrote:
> Recently installed Thunderbird on a Windows 2000 machine. The question
> I have is how do I set Thunderbird to mark newsgroup messages as "READ"
> when I leave a newsgroup? I would like to display only the messages
> that I have not previously read, the next time I open up the newsgroup.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Alton

Right click on the newsgroup (in the Left pane) and click "Marks
newsgroup read".

Larry__Weiss

Alton B. Wilson wrote:
> Recently installed Thunderbird on a Windows 2000 machine. The question
> I have is how do I set Thunderbird to mark newsgroup messages as "READ"
> when I leave a newsgroup? I would like to display only the messages
> that I have not previously read, the next time I open up the newsgroup.

This seems to be two questions.

1) how do I set Thunderbird to mark newsgroup messages as "READ"
2) I would like to display only the messages that I have not previously read

The first is done by using the "Mark Newsgroup Read" command on the newsgroup
(right-click the newsgroup name in the left-panel and you'll see it)

The second is done by using the View: filter above the messages panels. Set it
to Unread (as distinct from All).

- Larry Weiss

Alton B. Wilson

Larry,

Thanks for the reply. My real intent was to have Thunderbird
automatically mark the messages read when I leave the newsgroup, as
Outlook Express can be made to do. I guess I am just to lazy or stupid
to remember to right-click and mark them read.

I have the View:filter set correctly and it does work okay when I
re-enter the newsgroup.

Alton