Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Weird RequiredFieldValidator problem

Weird RequiredFieldValidator problem

Nick Goloborodko

Hi,

I've been having a really weird problem with required field validator.
Here's the detailed description of the problem:

I have originally been developing my web application on Windows XP SP2
under IIS5 with .NET framework V1.1.4322. I have had a couple of
RequiredFieldValidator, to ensure that the user enter the username and
password on the login form and avoid unnessesary postbacks.

The i have moved the application to Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1 with
IIS6 and .NET framework V1.1.4322. The login form load correctly. When
the user leaves a field blank, the error message is displayed
accordingly. But when both fileds are filled and the user presses the
Submit button, NO POSTBACK occurs and no error messages are displayed
(be those generated by the validators or underlying JavaScript); in
other words, NOTHING happens. Then theres another thing which makes
this even more misterious, when Firefox 1.0.4 is used, EVERYTHING
WORKS JUST FINE. So the problem occurs exclusivly when ASP.NET page is
executed under IIS6 in Win 2003, using IE 6 as the browser.

I'm completly mystified/annoyed/furious. This issue is holding me
back. Can anyone help me resolve it?

(this can be viewed at
http://nz.no-ip.biz/HelpDeskManager_V2_2_Dev/Login.aspx)

Kind regards,
Nick Goloborodko

TJS

I tried it both browsers and it worked correctly both times for me

-- no entries, both fields req.
--1 entry , the other field req
--2 entries, Username does not exist

"Nick Goloborodko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I've been having a really weird problem with required field validator.
> Here's the detailed description of the problem:
>
> I have originally been developing my web application on Windows XP SP2
> under IIS5 with .NET framework V1.1.4322. I have had a couple of
> RequiredFieldValidator, to ensure that the user enter the username and
> password on the login form and avoid unnessesary postbacks.
>
> The i have moved the application to Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1 with
> IIS6 and .NET framework V1.1.4322. The login form load correctly. When
> the user leaves a field blank, the error message is displayed
> accordingly. But when both fileds are filled and the user presses the
> Submit button, NO POSTBACK occurs and no error messages are displayed
> (be those generated by the validators or underlying JavaScript); in
> other words, NOTHING happens. Then theres another thing which makes
> this even more misterious, when Firefox 1.0.4 is used, EVERYTHING
> WORKS JUST FINE. So the problem occurs exclusivly when ASP.NET page is
> executed under IIS6 in Win 2003, using IE 6 as the browser.
>
> I'm completly mystified/annoyed/furious. This issue is holding me
> back. Can anyone help me resolve it?
>
> (this can be viewed at
> http://nz.no-ip.biz/HelpDeskManager_V2_2_Dev/Login.aspx)
>
> Kind regards,
> Nick Goloborodko

Michel de Becdelièvre

This won't solve your problem, but will explain different behaviors :

FireFox is considered "downlevel", so all validation only occurs on
postback, no JavaScript is involved.

IE6 is "uplevel" so it is JavaScript.

(All ASP.Net 1.1 script make liberal use of document.all - very MS
specific).

Make a google search for DOMValidator if you need no postback validation on
FF & IE. I had to tweak a little the js file but so far so good.
I believe there is a also MS sample somewhere in MSDN that is based on the
same code base.

"Nick Goloborodko" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> Hi,
>
> I've been having a really weird problem with required field validator.
> Here's the detailed description of the problem:
>
> I have originally been developing my web application on Windows XP SP2
> under IIS5 with .NET framework V1.1.4322. I have had a couple of
> RequiredFieldValidator, to ensure that the user enter the username and
> password on the login form and avoid unnessesary postbacks.
>
> The i have moved the application to Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1 with
> IIS6 and .NET framework V1.1.4322. The login form load correctly. When
> the user leaves a field blank, the error message is displayed
> accordingly. But when both fileds are filled and the user presses the
> Submit button, NO POSTBACK occurs and no error messages are displayed
> (be those generated by the validators or underlying JavaScript); in
> other words, NOTHING happens. Then theres another thing which makes
> this even more misterious, when Firefox 1.0.4 is used, EVERYTHING
> WORKS JUST FINE. So the problem occurs exclusivly when ASP.NET page is
> executed under IIS6 in Win 2003, using IE 6 as the browser.
>
> I'm completly mystified/annoyed/furious. This issue is holding me
> back. Can anyone help me resolve it?
>
> (this can be viewed at
> http://nz.no-ip.biz/HelpDeskManager_V2_2_Dev/Login.aspx)
>
> Kind regards,
> Nick Goloborodko

Nick Goloborodko

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have fixed the problemm by copying all of the
files from the folder "aspnet_client" onto the server and that seems to
have fixed the problem at least for now.

Kind regards,
Nick Goloborodko