Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird 1.0 presentation of quoted text

Thunderbird 1.0 presentation of quoted text

Larry__Weiss

If I want to turn off that colorful vertical bar presentation of quoted text
in a message, can I do that? (I took a tour of the menus and didn't see
the checkbox for the fancy formatting...I do see that when I compose a reply that
the ">" chars are visible).

- Larry Weiss

Leonidas Jones

Larry__Weiss wrote:
> If I want to turn off that colorful vertical bar presentation of quoted
> text
> in a message, can I do that? (I took a tour of the menus and didn't see
> the checkbox for the fancy formatting...I do see that when I compose a
> reply that
> the ">" chars are visible).
>
> - Larry Weiss

Do you want to get rid of the whole bar presentation of quotes, or just
the colors?

Here's a page that will take you back to >> quoting:

http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqmailnews.html#4

Lee

Larry__Weiss

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Larry__Weiss wrote:
>> If I want to turn off that colorful vertical bar presentation of quoted text
>> in a message, can I do that? (I took a tour of the menus and didn't see
>> the checkbox for the fancy formatting...I do see that when I compose a
>> reply that the ">" chars are visible).
>>

> Do you want to get rid of the whole bar presentation of quotes, or just
> the colors?
> Here's a page that will take you back to >> quoting:
> http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqmailnews.html#4

That helped. I now get both the vertical bars and the ">"s.

Leonidas Jones

Larry__Weiss wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Larry__Weiss wrote:
>>
>>> If I want to turn off that colorful vertical bar presentation of
>>> quoted text
>>> in a message, can I do that? (I took a tour of the menus and didn't see
>>> the checkbox for the fancy formatting...I do see that when I compose
>>> a reply that the ">" chars are visible).
>>>

>> Do you want to get rid of the whole bar presentation of quotes, or
>> just the colors?
>> Here's a page that will take you back to >> quoting:
>> http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqmailnews.html#4
>>

> That helped. I now get both the vertical bars and the ">"s.

Did you disable format flowed?

Lee

Leonidas Jones

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Larry__Weiss wrote:

>>> Do you want to get rid of the whole bar presentation of quotes, or
>>> just the colors?
>>> Here's a page that will take you back to >> quoting:
>>> http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqmailnews.html#4
>>>

>> That helped. I now get both the vertical bars and the ">"s.

> Did you disable format flowed?
>
> Lee

I preferred the bars, i find them easier to read, so I had never tried
Holgers's tip. I just tried it, and I'm having the same experience you are.

Lee

Larry__Weiss

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Larry__Weiss wrote:
>>> Here's a page that will take you back to >> quoting:
>>> http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqmailnews.html#4
>>>

>> That helped. I now get both the vertical bars and the ">"s.

> Did you disable format flowed?

Yes.

Larry__Weiss

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> I preferred the bars, i find them easier to read, so I had never tried
> Holgers's tip. I just tried it, and I'm having the same experience you are.

I am actually pleased to be able to see both the bars and the ">"s

Leonidas Jones

Larry__Weiss wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>>I preferred the bars, i find them easier to read, so I had never tried
>>Holgers's tip. I just tried it, and I'm having the same experience you are.
>>

> I am actually pleased to be able to see both the bars and the ">"s

I've got the answer. In your profile's chrome folder find the file
userContent.css. If it doesn't exist, create it. Add the following to it:

blockquote[type=cite] {
padding-bottom: 0 ! important;
padding-top: 0 ! important;
padding-left: 0 ! important;
border-left: none ! important;
border-right: none ! important;

The bars will go away.

Or don't if you find you like the double quoting style.

Holger'r help site is specific to Netscape. I remembered that the trick
used to work in TB, but it now needs this tweak.

Lee

Larry__Weiss

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> I've got the answer. In your profile's chrome folder find the file
> userContent.css. If it doesn't exist, create it. Add the following to it:
>
> blockquote[type=cite] {
> padding-bottom: 0 ! important;
> padding-top: 0 ! important;
> padding-left: 0 ! important;
> border-left: none ! important;
> border-right: none ! important;

Do I do the userContent.css edits in addition to the user.js edits?

Thx! - Larry Weiss

Leonidas Jones

Larry__Weiss wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> I've got the answer. In your profile's chrome folder find the file
>> userContent.css. If it doesn't exist, create it. Add the following
>> to it:
>>
>> blockquote[type=cite] {
>> padding-bottom: 0 ! important;
>> padding-top: 0 ! important;
>> padding-left: 0 ! important;
>> border-left: none ! important;
>> border-right: none ! important;
>>

> Do I do the userContent.css edits in addition to the user.js edits?
>
> Thx! - Larry Weiss

Yes!

Lee