Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Application_End method of Global.asax and Shutting down an asp.net application

Reply
Thread Tools

Application_End method of Global.asax and Shutting down an asp.net application

 
 
J-T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
I have my applciation installed in an appplication pool (a worker
process) -IIS 6.0-which is defined to be shut down after 20 minutes of being
idle.If I put a breakpoint in Application_End method of Global.asax and
there is no request for 20 minutes ,dose the breakpoint works for me?

Is there a document which can gives me more infomration in this behaviour?


Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scott Allen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2005
Yes, the breakpoint should be hit. Are you saying the breakpoint is
not being hit?

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Fri, 27 May 2005 12:16:43 -0700, "J-T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have my applciation installed in an appplication pool (a worker
>process) -IIS 6.0-which is defined to be shut down after 20 minutes of being
>idle.If I put a breakpoint in Application_End method of Global.asax and
>there is no request for 20 minutes ,dose the breakpoint works for me?
>
>Is there a document which can gives me more infomration in this behaviour?
>
>
>Thanks
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
J-T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2005
Yes Scott,
I can not get the breakpoint to hit!!!I'm putting my application in the
application pool of IIS 6.0 and set the shut down to for instance 5 minutes
,but after five minutes nothing happens!!!!

Thanks Scott
"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, the breakpoint should be hit. Are you saying the breakpoint is
> not being hit?
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
>
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 12:16:43 -0700, "J-T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have my applciation installed in an appplication pool (a worker
>>process) -IIS 6.0-which is defined to be shut down after 20 minutes of
>>being
>>idle.If I put a breakpoint in Application_End method of Global.asax and
>>there is no request for 20 minutes ,dose the breakpoint works for me?
>>
>>Is there a document which can gives me more infomration in this behaviour?
>>
>>
>>Thanks
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
gabe garza
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2005
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...atesection.asp
<sessionState mode="Off|InProc|StateServer|SQLServer"
cookieless="true|false"
timeout="number of minutes"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=serverort"
sqlConnectionString="sql connection string"
stateNetworkTimeout="number of seconds"/>

timeout - Specifies the number of minutes a session can be idle before it is
abandoned. The default is 20.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rowebforms.asp
Application_End - Fires when the last user in the site's session times out
From the documentation Application_End ONLY FIRES when the LAST USER in
the site's session times out, since the default value is 20 mintues once


http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...netchapt15.asp
I noticed this piece of code from the above link.

protected void Application_End(Object sender, EventArgs e){
//release the writer
// Even if this doesn't execute, when the appdomain gets shutdown
//it will be released anyways
if(_writer!=null)
_writer.Close();
}

Just by the wording in the comment section it seems that Application_End
might not always get called on an app shutdown.


"J-T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23W$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have my applciation installed in an appplication pool (a worker
> process) -IIS 6.0-which is defined to be shut down after 20 minutes of
> being
> idle.If I put a breakpoint in Application_End method of Global.asax and
> there is no request for 20 minutes ,dose the breakpoint works for me?
>
> Is there a document which can gives me more infomration in this behaviour?
>
>
> Thanks
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
J-T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2005
I'm confused!!!!

"gabe garza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:w1Nme.23065$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...atesection.asp
> <sessionState mode="Off|InProc|StateServer|SQLServer"
> cookieless="true|false"
> timeout="number of minutes"
> stateConnectionString="tcpip=serverort"
> sqlConnectionString="sql connection string"
> stateNetworkTimeout="number of seconds"/>
>
> timeout - Specifies the number of minutes a session can be idle before it
> is abandoned. The default is 20.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rowebforms.asp
> Application_End - Fires when the last user in the site's session times
> out
> From the documentation Application_End ONLY FIRES when the LAST USER in
> the site's session times out, since the default value is 20 mintues once
>
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...netchapt15.asp
> I noticed this piece of code from the above link.
>
> protected void Application_End(Object sender, EventArgs e){
> //release the writer
> // Even if this doesn't execute, when the appdomain gets shutdown
> //it will be released anyways
> if(_writer!=null)
> _writer.Close();
> }
>
> Just by the wording in the comment section it seems that Application_End
> might not always get called on an app shutdown.
>
>
> "J-T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23W$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have my applciation installed in an appplication pool (a worker
>> process) -IIS 6.0-which is defined to be shut down after 20 minutes of
>> being
>> idle.If I put a breakpoint in Application_End method of Global.asax and
>> there is no request for 20 minutes ,dose the breakpoint works for me?
>>
>> Is there a document which can gives me more infomration in this
>> behaviour?
>>
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
computer re-booting on start up and shutting down and restating oorak Computer Support 3 02-16-2008 06:40 PM
Event message: Application is shutting down. Reason: Hosting environment is shutting down. Jack ASP .Net 2 07-18-2007 01:27 PM
Re: Application_End method of Global.asax and Shutting down an asp.net application J-T ASP .Net 0 06-01-2005 12:10 AM
Physical Application Path in Application_End Alphonse Giambrone ASP .Net 4 01-07-2004 11:09 PM
HttpApplication Init, Application_Start and Application_End don't fire Halcyon Woodward ASP .Net 3 07-16-2003 04:34 PM



Advertisments