Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > copy *.sln project to other computer.

copy *.sln project to other computer.

John M

Hello,

I have problem when copying the sln application
to other computer.

The project is on directory phones.

The other computer cannot even open the application :
doesn't find the application in the directory : webapplication1.

How can I copy applications between 2 computers ?

Thanks

Mark Fitzpatrick

The web applications are in completely different places. If you have a web
application, your best bet is to either make an installer, or to try to
publish the web project using the copy project command in VS.Net. The copy
project probably won't work as the destination's firewall may block it, or
the destination's internet provider. If you don't want to run an installer,
you can also simply copy the entire web application, which is under the
inetpub\wwwroot directory by default over to the other computer's
inetpub\wwwroot directory. You'll need to have it adjust permissions on the
other computer so that the ASP.Net account and IUSR account have proper
privaleges.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"John M" <nobody@nospam_please.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have problem when copying the sln application
> to other computer.
>
> The project is on directory phones.
>
> The other computer cannot even open the application :
> doesn't find the application in the directory : webapplication1.
>
> How can I copy applications between 2 computers ?
>
> Thanks

clintonG

Use Windows Explorer to file copy theApplication from IIS1 to IIS2. I am
assuming theApplication will be copied to c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\theApplication.

Use MMC on IIS2 to configure theApplication as a virtual application.

Use Windows Explorer to log to theApplication directory.
Now I may get the next part confused a bit but the point is you have to edit
the files in the VS project files.

So start by dragging the .sln file into Notepad and edit any file paths to
point to theApplication. Do the same with the .csproj.user file and the
..csproj file.

Double click the .sln file and it should load into Visual Studio and run
without errors related to migrating from one box to another. The only caveat
I am learning may be relevant is the fact that theApplication may have used
the GAC on IIS1 in which case the same circumstances will have to be
replicated with the GAC on IIS2.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

"John M" <nobody@nospam_please.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have problem when copying the sln application
> to other computer.
>
> The project is on directory phones.
>
> The other computer cannot even open the application :
> doesn't find the application in the directory : webapplication1.
>
> How can I copy applications between 2 computers ?
>
> Thanks

John M

I am using VB .NET, so what shall I do instead of .csproj.user and .csproj

Thanks

news:(E-Mail Removed)...