Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Any help here???

Any help here???

PB

<<I think MDAC Applies in this instance>>

No way. ADO.NET has an entirely new SQL data provider. OLE is old-school
COM, ODBC is totally unnecessary here and even undesirable as ADO.NET's SQL
data provider is optimized for SQL Server. Show us how you are trying to
connect. Show us your code.

I'd sure hate to be going off into left field here - all I'm thinking is
that you are installing MDAC which is totally unnecessary. Put another way,
I've never had any SQL Server connectivity problems since I've switch to
..NET - and I've never installed MDAC or tried to use ODBC. Furthermore, I've
never even heard of anyone trying to install or use MDAC from a .NET
application when trying to connect to SQL Server.

ADO.NET is not simply the latest version of the original ADO classic (which
necessitated the installation of MDAC for COM applications). ADO.NET is a
whole new thing.

-HTH

"DavidS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> and
>> helping each other out.
>>
>> -HTH
>>

>> "DavidS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I almost was ready to look @ working with UNIX environment - but that's
>> > statement only out of frustration. First, THANK YOU for responding.
>> > Next,
>> > I'll answer all your questions too - and hopefully we can get solution
>> > here
>> > to fix this for our development environment.
>> >
>> > 1) SQL 200 Server is not local - it's on separate server all by itself.
>> > have two laptops - both with Visual Studio.NET that I've installed.
>> > MDAC
>> > components 2.6 is what is on laptop I believe. I've never had
>> > connection
>> > issue to SQL databases here - very rare to get timeouts.
>> > 2) I've also installed Visual Studio.NET on 2000 server for development
>> > server - and not issue there. MDAC 2.6 I believe is installed there.
>> > I've
>> > installed IIS and just about everything here - and not issue. Never
>> > SQL
>> > timeouts.
>> > 3) MDAC 2.8 is installed on 2nd laptop with Windows XP SP2. I've also
>> > installed Visual Studio.NET here (I believe this is default with OS).
>> > Everything works great but SQL doesn't connect & popup issue - BUT for
>> > now
>> > lets ignore popup issue. Once in a blue-moon I can connect to SQL
>> > server -
>> > but 98% of time it times out or simply doesn't connect. I have 20
>> > second
>> > default for connection string (changed to 30, 60, etc... and doesn't
>> > help)
>> > as
>> > on Windows 2000 OS laptop. I agree there are many differences with
>> > both
>> > OS's
>> > - DLL's are one variation, MDAC is most obvious that I see @ this time.
>> > I've
>> > downloaded Microsoft Product Support Reporting Tools - to review what's
>> > here
>> > too - after researching on your knowledge base.
>> > 4) Currently, I'm going to formulate more information - but what's best
>> > way
>> > to give you what you need. My initial objective is NOT to conclude
>> > OS -
>> > but
>> > trust me - all that's been done here was to install SP2 or upgrade of
>> > XP
>> > from
>> > Microsoft. Next, I've completed the install of Visual Studio.NET like
>> > I've
>> > done for 3 other computers - without issue. Again - MDAC - I've
>> > research
>> > this myself - since it's relavent to SQL connect objects.
>> >
>> > What would you need from me first - to check/review

PB

So, are you using the System.Data.SqlClient namespace and its SqlCommand and
SqlConnection objects?

> [...]
>> > downloaded Microsoft Product Support Reporting Tools - to review what's
>> > here
>> > too - after researching on your knowledge base.
>> > 4) Currently, I'm going to formulate more information - but what's best
>> > way
>> > to give you what you need. My initial objective is NOT to conclude
>> > OS -
>> > but
>> > trust me - all that's been done here was to install SP2 or upgrade of
>> > XP
>> > from
>> > Microsoft. Next, I've completed the install of Visual Studio.NET like
>> > I've
>> > done for 3 other computers - without issue. Again - MDAC - I've
>> > research
>> > this myself - since it's relavent to SQL connect objects.
>> >
>> > What would you need from me first - to check/review

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=

I'm using ADO.NET - specific classes used were
1) System.Data.SqlClient - connection to Microsoft SQL Server - I also have
version 08.00.0384 of SQL Server 2000
2) System.Data.OleDb - connection to other Access Databases
3) System.Data.Odbc - used this likewise.
For discussion, like to simply stay with ADO.NET - System.Data.SqlClient.

Next, I apologize for discussion concerning MDAC - I was 100% sure how this
was used - but in past - system would advise me I needed latest during
debugging. I've also researched article from Microsoft saying when you
troubleshoot SQL Server connectivity issues - you should investigate the MDAC
version on the client, not on the server. Article was MDAC Technical Article
Pg 3 - Installation Versions and SQL Server Versions. I just thought it
might apply there.

Finally, since issue now is completely understood as ADO.NET - SQL provider,
I'd like to move to next issue. What could be causing no connects during
open operation?

Thanks always,

"PB" wrote:

> [...]
> >> MDAC (and good riddance!).
> >>
> >> Finally (for now), this news group is run by Microsoft, but most of the
> >> people who are posting here are NOT Microsoft employees. We are mostly
> >> people just like yourself figuring out how to make all this stuff work
> >> and
> >> helping each other out.
> >>
> >> -HTH
> >>

> >> "DavidS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=

I'm using ADO.NET - specific classes used were
1) System.Data.SqlClient - connection to Microsoft SQL Server - I also have
version 08.00.0384 of SQL Server 2000
2) System.Data.OleDb - connection to other Access Databases
3) System.Data.Odbc - used this likewise.
For discussion, like to simply stay with ADO.NET - System.Data.SqlClient.

Next, I apologize for discussion concerning MDAC - I was NOT 100% sure how
this
was used - but in past - system @ one time advises me I needed latest
release during

"PB" wrote:

> So, are you using the System.Data.SqlClient namespace and its SqlCommand and
> SqlConnection objects?
>

> "DavidS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Connect String -------------
> >
> > Server=<server name>;database=<database
> > name>;uid=<uid>;pwd=<password>;connect timeout=30;pooling=true
> >
> > Never problem -
> >
> > "PB" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, for starters, I believe MDAC is unnecessary for .NET applications -
> >> as
> >> ADO.NET has its own SQL Server provider for data access. The only reason
> >> could think of off hand for installing MDAC is for any old COM
> >> applications
> >> that may need it.
> >>
> >> So, when you say you are connecting to SQL Server, are you doing so from
> >> an
> >> ASP.NET Web application? or from some COM-based application? If from
> >> .NET -
> >> then what does your connection string and connection object look like?
> >> Are
> >> you defining them in code? If so, lets have a look.
> >>
> >> Also, which version of Visual Studio .NET? 2003? As long as you are
> >> setting
> >> up a new development environment for new projects that were not based on
> >> any
> >> prior version of .NET, then you really should be using .NET Framework 1.1
> >> (which installs with VS.NET 2003).
> >>
> >> I personally have worked extensively with many prior versions of MDAC -
> >> and
> >> honestly since switching to .NET development I've never had to deal with
> >> MDAC (and good riddance!).
> >>
> >> Finally (for now), this news group is run by Microsoft, but most of the
> >> people who are posting here are NOT Microsoft employees. We are mostly
> >> people just like yourself figuring out how to make all this stuff work
> >> and
> >> helping each other out.
> >>
> >> -HTH
> >>

> >> "DavidS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

PB

If you are having odd connectivity issues (which IMHO you are having) then
start looking for things that are non standard (like having MDAC installed).
AFAIK you cannot uninstall MDAC once its installed. So rather than
troubleshooting a junked up computer you might be far better off in the long
run by starting all over from scratch and installing only what's necessary.
Format your drive, do a new/clean install of XP, and go from there. If you
keep things simple and only install and use what is recommended, you will
likely not have such weird issues. Before you jump gun and claim XP is
screwing up, start with basic network connectivity: can you PING your SQL
Server? Ping by IP address? Ping by URL? Your issues may have nothing to do
with ADO.NET. Start with the basics and work up from there.

If after cleaning up your computer you are still having exotic issues, you
might want to post a new question in an ADO.NET news group. Your issues
apparently have nothing to do with ASP.NET, XP, nor SP2.

Good Luck.

> [...]
>>
>> ADO.NET is not simply the latest version of the original ADO classic
>> (which
>> necessitated the installation of MDAC for COM applications). ADO.NET is a
>> whole new thing.
>>
>> -HTH
>>

>> "DavidS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Doing so from ASP.NET web application. Using Visual Studio.NET 2003 -
>> > Version 7.1.3088. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (1.1.4322 SP1) it says
>> > for
>> > XP
>> > SP2 OS. Using Visual Studio.NET 2003 - Version 7.1.3088. Microsoft
>> > .NET
>> > Framework 1.1 (1.1.4322) NO SP1 for 2000 Pro OS.
>> >
>> > I think MDAC Applies in this instance. @ Least as I understand it's
>> > the
>> > core for SQL, Ole, and ODBC connections.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=

I did ping - simply slipped my mind. I've noticed 2 ports on SQL server.
First port - seems to tie up occassionally. I decided to use 2nd port - it's
not used at all - dedicated soley for my purposes - and never issues. I
connect NOW always. Only concern I have is simply 2000 OS setup - must have
retry built in - whereas XP SP2 - might not - I never timeout on 2000 / but
98% of time did on XP with 1st port. I have also now a system solution to
what's presented here (given thought to what we have in our configuration and
I will change things when connecting to SQL - i.e., past policy by others).

Finally - I wasn't going to reformat, reload, etc... the drive. That's like
saying I mind as well work with Unix. But for the most part - you were very
helpful with the "ping" suggestion. The most obvious was not the most
obvious for me - but when I looked in detail, I saw issues.

Tnks.