Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Cannot Create new VS Web Project

Cannot Create new VS Web Project

TimC

I hope someone can help - I am getting desperate!

I have promised to do some work for someone developing an ASP.NEt
application.

I have VS Studio 2002 installed on my pc which is running XP-Pro (and
therefore IIs 5.1) and have instannled .Net framework v1.1.4322.

I canot create a new web project - I get the error

"unable to validate the file path....does not match url path..."

Having scoured the web for answers (I have spent HOURS on this!) I
believe it is something to do with VS trying to create a tmp file in
the \inetput\wwwroot folder to validate IIS is running and failing.

I have checked IIS is running ok (I can open and run ASP pages ok).

I have :

* checked my user is in the VS Developers Group
* run aspnet_regiis -i in the
\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 folder
* loaded the latest vs updates
* iis has a default web site running on port 80
* I have tried disabling mcAfee person firewall - no difference
* I don't have Zone Alarm
* tried both with file share and fronpage sevrer extensions options
* checked the 'write' option in the default web site
* made sure user and the ASPNET user has permissions to wwwroot (do I
need a wwwroot$ share?)
* tried substituting '127.0.0.1' for 'localhost' in the new project
name

PLEASE HELP!!!

Damien

TimC wrote:
> I hope someone can help - I am getting desperate!
>
> I have promised to do some work for someone developing an ASP.NEt
> application.
>
> I have VS Studio 2002 installed on my pc which is running XP-Pro (and
> therefore IIs 5.1) and have instannled .Net framework v1.1.4322.
>
> I canot create a new web project - I get the error
>
> "unable to validate the file path....does not match url path..."
>
> Having scoured the web for answers (I have spent HOURS on this!) I
> believe it is something to do with VS trying to create a tmp file in
> the \inetput\wwwroot folder to validate IIS is running and failing.
>
> I have checked IIS is running ok (I can open and run ASP pages ok).
>
> I have :
>
> * checked my user is in the VS Developers Group
> * run aspnet_regiis -i in the
> \windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 folder
> * loaded the latest vs updates
> * iis has a default web site running on port 80
> * I have tried disabling mcAfee person firewall - no difference
> * I don't have Zone Alarm
> * tried both with file share and fronpage sevrer extensions options
> * checked the 'write' option in the default web site
> * made sure user and the ASPNET user has permissions to wwwroot (do I
> need a wwwroot$ share?)
> * tried substituting '127.0.0.1' for 'localhost' in the new project
> name
>

> PLEASE HELP!!!

Doesn't VS 2002 only work with framework 1.0, rather than 1.1? If you
use Internet Services Manager, and view the properties of the projects
virtual directory, is their as ASP.NET tab (which signifies that there
is more than one asp.net available) ? If so, which framework does it
indicate it is using for your project?

I know I have the problem that I have 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0b installed, and
whenever I create a project in VS2003 I have to go into ISM and switch
the framework from 2.0 to 1.1.

I have had one project (which made heavy use of HttpHandlers) where I
had to install the Frontpage extensions and let VS access the project
that way.

Beyond that (and back to your supposition about the tmp file), are
there are odd permissions settings in the Inetpub folder?

HTH,

Damien.

TimC

I uninstalled 1.1, and reinstalled 1.0.3705 and reinstalled - and
checked it was ok.

Still no luck.

Any other ideas would be gratefully received.

Damien wrote:
> TimC wrote:
> > I hope someone can help - I am getting desperate!
> >
> > I have promised to do some work for someone developing an ASP.NEt
> > application.
> >
> > I have VS Studio 2002 installed on my pc which is running XP-Pro (and
> > therefore IIs 5.1) and have instannled .Net framework v1.1.4322.
> >
> > I canot create a new web project - I get the error
> >
> > "unable to validate the file path....does not match url path..."
> >
> > Having scoured the web for answers (I have spent HOURS on this!) I
> > believe it is something to do with VS trying to create a tmp file in
> > the \inetput\wwwroot folder to validate IIS is running and failing.
> >
> > I have checked IIS is running ok (I can open and run ASP pages ok).
> >
> > I have :
> >
> > * checked my user is in the VS Developers Group
> > * run aspnet_regiis -i in the
> > \windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 folder
> > * loaded the latest vs updates
> > * iis has a default web site running on port 80
> > * I have tried disabling mcAfee person firewall - no difference
> > * I don't have Zone Alarm
> > * tried both with file share and fronpage sevrer extensions options
> > * checked the 'write' option in the default web site
> > * made sure user and the ASPNET user has permissions to wwwroot (do I
> > need a wwwroot$ share?)
> > * tried substituting '127.0.0.1' for 'localhost' in the new project
> > name
> >

> > PLEASE HELP!!!

> Doesn't VS 2002 only work with framework 1.0, rather than 1.1? If you
> use Internet Services Manager, and view the properties of the projects
> virtual directory, is their as ASP.NET tab (which signifies that there
> is more than one asp.net available) ? If so, which framework does it
> indicate it is using for your project?
>
> I know I have the problem that I have 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0b installed, and
> whenever I create a project in VS2003 I have to go into ISM and switch
> the framework from 2.0 to 1.1.
>
> I have had one project (which made heavy use of HttpHandlers) where I
> had to install the Frontpage extensions and let VS access the project
> that way.
>
> Beyond that (and back to your supposition about the tmp file), are
> there are odd permissions settings in the Inetpub folder?
>
> HTH,
>
> Damien.

Damien

TimC wrote:
> I uninstalled 1.1, and reinstalled 1.0.3705 and reinstalled - and
> checked it was ok.
>
> Still no luck.
>
> Any other ideas would be gratefully received.

If you run a command prompt, and then enter the command

c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\aspnet_ regiis.exe -lv

what does it display? (Please note, I'm not sure what platform you're
running on. The above works on Windows 2000, other platforms may need
to have "c:\windows" substituted for "c:\winnt")

Damien

Damien wrote:
> TimC wrote:
> > I uninstalled 1.1, and reinstalled 1.0.3705 and reinstalled - and
> > checked it was ok.
> >
> > Still no luck.
> >
> > Any other ideas would be gratefully received.
> >

> If you run a command prompt, and then enter the command
>
> c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\aspnet_ regiis.exe -lv
>
> what does it display? (Please note, I'm not sure what platform you're
> running on. The above works on Windows 2000, other platforms may need
> to have "c:\windows" substituted for "c:\winnt")

Sorry, looking back at the OP, it's probable that you've already done
this. Have you tried installing FrontPage extensions and change the
default Web access to use those instead of file share?