Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox-saving passwords

Firefox-saving passwords

BobW

I just switched from Opera to Firefox. Opera had a "wand" used for
passwords, Firefox apparently does not. When I sign in, for instance on
"yahoo news groups" there's a box to click "save password on this computer."
It doesn't seem to work. I checked the help section and find something
called "password manager" or, is it
"manage passwords?' - anyway, it seems to tell me I CAN do it, but I cannot
figure out, nor find, the HOW.

So, how do I go about saving passwords, so they are automatically filled in
when needed?

Thanks for your kind assistance.

rgds/Bob

Ranjit

BobW wrote:
> I just switched from Opera to Firefox. Opera had a "wand" used for
> passwords, Firefox apparently does not. When I sign in, for instance on
> "yahoo news groups" there's a box to click "save password on this computer."
> It doesn't seem to work. I checked the help section and find something
> called "password manager" or, is it
> "manage passwords?' - anyway, it seems to tell me I CAN do it, but I cannot
> figure out, nor find, the HOW.
>
> So, how do I go about saving passwords, so they are automatically filled in
> when needed?
>
> Thanks for your kind assistance.
>
> rgds/Bob

I am sure you may have checked this one, but can you confirm if under
Tolls -> options -> Privacy -> Saved password, the "Remeber passwords"
is checked.

And also when you are at that, check if accidently you had clicked
"never save password for this site", in that case the passwords won't be
saved even if the above option is turned on.

Ranjit

Ranjit wrote:
> BobW wrote:
>
>> I just switched from Opera to Firefox. Opera had a "wand" used for
>> passwords, Firefox apparently does not. When I sign in, for instance on
>> "yahoo news groups" there's a box to click "save password on this
>> computer."
>> It doesn't seem to work. I checked the help section and find something
>> called "password manager" or, is it
>> "manage passwords?' - anyway, it seems to tell me I CAN do it, but I
>> cannot
>> figure out, nor find, the HOW.
>>
>> So, how do I go about saving passwords, so they are automatically
>> filled in
>> when needed?
>>
>> Thanks for your kind assistance.
>>
>> rgds/Bob
>>

> I am sure you may have checked this one, but can you confirm if under
> Tolls -> options -> Privacy -> Saved password, the "Remeber passwords"
> is checked.

Sorry, that should have been Tools

> And also when you are at that, check if accidently you had clicked
> "never save password for this site", in that case the passwords won't be
> saved even if the above option is turned on.

This would be seen by clicking view saved passwds -> passwds never saved.

Charles

"BobW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:61BId.18320$(E-Mail Removed) om...
|I just switched from Opera to Firefox. Opera had a "wand" used for
| passwords, Firefox apparently does not. When I sign in, for instance on
| "yahoo news groups" there's a box to click "save password on this computer."
| It doesn't seem to work. I checked the help section and find something
| called "password manager" or, is it
| "manage passwords?' - anyway, it seems to tell me I CAN do it, but I cannot
| figure out, nor find, the HOW.
|
| So, how do I go about saving passwords, so they are automatically filled in
| when needed?
|
| Thanks for your kind assistance.
|
| rgds/Bob

Some sites Passwords (Yahoo, Gmail, there are some others), cannot be saved in
Firefox.
The huge majority of others can.

Larry Hazel

BobW wrote:
> I just switched from Opera to Firefox. Opera had a "wand" used for
> passwords, Firefox apparently does not. When I sign in, for instance on
> "yahoo news groups" there's a box to click "save password on this computer."
> It doesn't seem to work. I checked the help section and find something
> called "password manager" or, is it
> "manage passwords?' - anyway, it seems to tell me I CAN do it, but I cannot
> figure out, nor find, the HOW.
>
> So, how do I go about saving passwords, so they are automatically filled in
> when needed?
>
> Thanks for your kind assistance.
>
> rgds/Bob

Don't know the answer, but I have trouble with sites where you log in
with an account number with multiple parts (Lowes, for example).
Firefox only remembers 1 of the fields. Mozilla remembered them all.