Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > How to open link only in current window in firefox

How to open link only in current window in firefox

sigu4wa02@sneakemail.com

Hi,
I like firefox's tab-browsing feature. However, nowadays many web
sites (especail news sites) prefer to open a link in new window. It is
very annoying to me each time a new window is popped out when I click a
link that supposed to be opened in current window. Can anyone provide a
solution (or a plugin) to open all links in current window *by
default*?

Thanks.

Zhang Le

Ranjit

> Hi,
> I like firefox's tab-browsing feature. However, nowadays many web
> sites (especail news sites) prefer to open a link in new window. It is
> very annoying to me each time a new window is popped out when I click a
> link that supposed to be opened in current window. Can anyone provide a
> solution (or a plugin) to open all links in current window *by
> default*?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Zhang Le

AFAIK it's more to do with the HTML code of the page you are browsing.
IF the pages requests the browser to open in a new window, then the
browser is going to open it in the new window. Not sure if there is any
plugin that will force url to be opened in new windows to be opened in
teh current window. Gurus out here maybe know of something like that.

Ralph Fox

On 18 Jan 2005 13:06:17 -0800, in message
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I like firefox's tab-browsing feature. However, nowadays many web
> sites (especail news sites) prefer to open a link in new window. It is
> very annoying to me each time a new window is popped out when I click a
> link that supposed to be opened in current window. Can anyone provide a
> solution (or a plugin) to open all links in current window *by
> default*?

Proxomitron ("http://www.proxomitron.info/") is a local HTTP
web-filtering proxy which modifies the HTML on the fly as it downloads.

Configure Proxomitron to modify links so that they do not open a new window.

Link HTML code before modification:

Link HTML code after:

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Microsoft gives driving directions ...
1. Go to http://mappoint.msn.com/DirectionsFind.aspx
2. In the Start section, select "Norway" from the listbox and enter
"Haugesund" into the "City" field.
3. In the End section, select "Norway" from the listbox and enter
"Trondheim" into the "City" field.
4. Click on "Get Directions"