Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > EMBEDDED SOUND LIKE IE?

EMBEDDED SOUND LIKE IE?

Leonidas Jones

JW wrote:
> To any knowledgeable reader,
>
> I just downloaded Firefox 1.0 because certain techies raved
> about how good it is blocking viruses, popups and spyware. Firefox
> looks like a good alternative to IE, but it does not play sound
> EMBEDDED like IE does.
>
> IOW, if you go to a site where running the mouse over a link
> makes a sound simultaneously, or clicking the link which plays another
> sound, or just hearing background music, IE will execute the
> AUDIO-VISUAL aspects of such a site...SEAMLESSLY and EMBEDDED. It
> appears that the whole experience is just part of the Browser
> operation. Is such behaviour possible with Firefox?
>
> JW
>

> "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION is certainly true for
> Israel in its conflict with the Arabs. Now Microsoft
> has adopted the slogan as follows: FALURE IS NOT AN
> OPTION. IT COMES BUNDLED WITH THE SOFTWARE!"

Cite specific sites that cause this problem, with an explanation of the
expected behavior on mouse movements, and the resultant behavior. In
other words, we need to test it ourselves and look at how the specific
site is coded, before we can make an informed response.

Lee

JW

To any knowledgeable reader,

I just downloaded Firefox 1.0 because certain techies raved
about how good it is blocking viruses, popups and spyware. Firefox
looks like a good alternative to IE, but it does not play sound
EMBEDDED like IE does.

IOW, if you go to a site where running the mouse over a link
makes a sound simultaneously, or clicking the link which plays another
sound, or just hearing background music, IE will execute the
AUDIO-VISUAL aspects of such a site...SEAMLESSLY and EMBEDDED. It
appears that the whole experience is just part of the Browser
operation. Is such behaviour possible with Firefox?

JW

"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION is certainly true for
Israel in its conflict with the Arabs. Now Microsoft
has adopted the slogan as follows: FALURE IS NOT AN
OPTION. IT COMES BUNDLED WITH THE SOFTWARE!"

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:36:03 -0800, in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, JW wrote:

> To any knowledgeable reader,
>
> I just downloaded Firefox 1.0 because certain techies raved
> about how good it is blocking viruses, popups and spyware. Firefox
> looks like a good alternative to IE, but it does not play sound
> EMBEDDED like IE does.
>
> IOW, if you go to a site where running the mouse over a link
> makes a sound simultaneously, or clicking the link which plays another
> sound, or just hearing background music, IE will execute the
> AUDIO-VISUAL aspects of such a site...SEAMLESSLY and EMBEDDED. It
> appears that the whole experience is just part of the Browser
> operation. Is such behaviour possible with Firefox?

First thing: You need a plug-in to play sounds.

Enter

aboutlugins

into the URL bar to see which plug-ins are installed in Firefox.

1. If FFx doesn't have a plug-in for MIDI, MP3 audio, AU, and WAV,
then you might need to install one.

Check out these URLs

(a) plug-ins installed in FFx aboutlugins
(b) Popular plug-ins http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp --
(c) Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow..._search_pi.jsp
(d) Help for installing plug-ins http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/

2. If you already have QuickTime installed on your computer but it
doesn't show in FFx's aboutlugins page, then copy all the
np*.dll files from "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Plugins" to
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins" .

--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

Leonidas Jones

JW wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 04:12:12 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Cite specific sites that cause this problem, with an explanation of the
>>expected behavior on mouse movements, and the resultant behavior. In
>>other words, we need to test it ourselves and look at how the specific
>>site is coded, before we can make an informed response.
>>
>>Lee

> The only site I know of at this point, is
> www.tiferetorganic.com. I'm still looking for others.
> The problem is with HTML sites using audio on MouseOvers,
> MouseClicks and background music. IE plays the entire site WITHOUT
> introducing anything EXTRANEOUS. Firefox complains about a missing
> plugin. Is it possible to tweak Firefox to display such sites like IE?
>
> JW
> "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION is certainly true for
> Israel in its conflict with the Arabs. Now Microsoft
> has adopted the slogan as follows: FALURE IS NOT AN
> OPTION. IT COMES BUNDLED WITH THE SOFTWARE!"

http://www.tiferetorganic.com/index.htm

I went here and found no prompt for a plugin. I clicked all the
buttons, everythig seemed to work fine in FF on XP. However, I'm not
hearing any sounds on the page.

I'm sorry to be a nudge, but can you be very specific about what you
hafe done that brings up the plugin dialog? Or does it appear as soon
as you have opened the page?

Lee

Moz Champion

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> JW wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 04:12:12 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Cite specific sites that cause this problem, with an explanation of
>>> the expected behavior on mouse movements, and the resultant
>>> behavior. In other words, we need to test it ourselves and look at
>>> how the specific site is coded, before we can make an informed response.
>>>
>>> Lee

>> The only site I know of at this point, is
>> www.tiferetorganic.com. I'm still looking for others.
>> The problem is with HTML sites using audio on MouseOvers,
>> MouseClicks and background music. IE plays the entire site WITHOUT
>> introducing anything EXTRANEOUS. Firefox complains about a missing
>> plugin. Is it possible to tweak Firefox to display such sites like IE?
>>
>> JW
>> "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION is certainly true for Israel in its conflict
>> with the Arabs. Now Microsoft
>> has adopted the slogan as follows: FALURE IS NOT AN OPTION. IT COMES
>> BUNDLED WITH THE SOFTWARE!"

> http://www.tiferetorganic.com/index.htm
>
> I went here and found no prompt for a plugin. I clicked all the
> buttons, everythig seemed to work fine in FF on XP. However, I'm not
> hearing any sounds on the page.
>
> I'm sorry to be a nudge, but can you be very specific about what you
> hafe done that brings up the plugin dialog? Or does it appear as soon
> as you have opened the page?
>
> Lee

The page attempts to use a javascript using sndobj to 'play' a file. A
method that may be compatable with IE but is not a web standard. The
site should use proper standard encoding.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Moz Champion

JW wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:24:58 +0000, Ralph Fox
> <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote:
>

>>First thing: You need a plug-in to play sounds.
>>
>>Enter
>>
>> aboutlugins
>>
>>into the URL bar to see which plug-ins are installed in Firefox.

> I have a whole bunch of plugins: from Java, to Quicktime, to
> MS Media Player.... All are enabled except Mozilla Default Plug-in
>

>>1. If FFx doesn't have a plug-in for MIDI, MP3 audio, AU, and WAV,
>> then you might need to install one.

> Hmmm... From the descriptions listed for QuickTime and MS
> Media Player, I don't see the types you listed.
>

>> Check out these URLs
>>
>> (a) plug-ins installed in FFx aboutlugins
>> (b) Popular plug-ins http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp --
>> (c) Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow..._search_pi.jsp
>> (d) Help for installing plug-ins http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/

> I shall. Thank you.
>
>>2. If you already have QuickTime installed on your computer but it
>> doesn't show in FFx's aboutlugins page, then copy all the
>> np*.dll files from "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Plugins" to
>> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins" .

> No need. Firefox is full of QickTime plugins, eventhough when
> the browser is pointed to www.tiferetorganic.com, it complains that it
> can't find Apple Quicktime 6.5.1
>
> JW
>

> "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION is certainly true for
> Israel in its conflict with the Arabs. Now Microsoft
> has adopted the slogan as follows: FALURE IS NOT AN
> OPTION. IT COMES BUNDLED WITH THE SOFTWARE!"

because the page attempts to use a non standard method of calliing a
file. It doesnt use the standard object mode, nor even the old
(Netscape) embed routine, or even the old (IE) bgnsnd routine, but
instead uses a non standard sndobj (Sound Object ?) javascript.

And most likely it doesnt provide the proper mime type for the file.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Leonidas Jones

Moz Champion wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> JW wrote:

>>> The only site I know of at this point, is
>>> www.tiferetorganic.com. I'm still looking for others.
>>> The problem is with HTML sites using audio on MouseOvers,
>>> MouseClicks and background music. IE plays the entire site WITHOUT
>>> introducing anything EXTRANEOUS. Firefox complains about a missing
>>> plugin. Is it possible to tweak Firefox to display such sites like IE?
>>>
>>> JW
>>> "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION is certainly true for Israel in its
>>> conflict with the Arabs. Now Microsoft
>>> has adopted the slogan as follows: FALURE IS NOT AN OPTION. IT COMES
>>> BUNDLED WITH THE SOFTWARE!"

>> http://www.tiferetorganic.com/index.htm
>>
>> I went here and found no prompt for a plugin. I clicked all the
>> buttons, everythig seemed to work fine in FF on XP. However, I'm not
>> hearing any sounds on the page.
>>
>> I'm sorry to be a nudge, but can you be very specific about what you
>> hafe done that brings up the plugin dialog? Or does it appear as soon
>> as you have opened the page?
>>
>> Lee

> The page attempts to use a javascript using sndobj to 'play' a file. A
> method that may be compatable with IE but is not a web standard. The
> site should use proper standard encoding.

Hey Dan,

Yeah, I looked at the source and saw the js you mention. What I wonder,
is why the OP gets an install plugin dialog, whereas my FF just ignores
the non standard javascript?

Lee

Moz Champion

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Moz Champion wrote:

>>> http://www.tiferetorganic.com/index.htm
>>>
>>> I went here and found no prompt for a plugin. I clicked all the
>>> buttons, everythig seemed to work fine in FF on XP. However, I'm not
>>> hearing any sounds on the page.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry to be a nudge, but can you be very specific about what you
>>> hafe done that brings up the plugin dialog? Or does it appear as
>>> soon as you have opened the page?
>>>
>>> Lee

>> The page attempts to use a javascript using sndobj to 'play' a file. A
>> method that may be compatable with IE but is not a web standard. The
>> site should use proper standard encoding.
>>

> Hey Dan,
>
> Yeah, I looked at the source and saw the js you mention. What I wonder,
> is why the OP gets an install plugin dialog, whereas my FF just ignores
> the non standard javascript?
>
> Lee

From my read, the OP is mixing the two instances together. He states
this site gives him problems, and then states that other sites using
sound (like for mouseovers) give him the plug in prompt. Doesnt say he
gets the plug in prompt on this site.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Leonidas Jones

Moz Champion wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Moz Champion wrote:

>>> The page attempts to use a javascript using sndobj to 'play' a file.
>>> A method that may be compatable with IE but is not a web standard.
>>> The site should use proper standard encoding.
>>>

>> Hey Dan,
>>
>> Yeah, I looked at the source and saw the js you mention. What I
>> wonder, is why the OP gets an install plugin dialog, whereas my FF
>> just ignores the non standard javascript?
>>
>> Lee

> From my read, the OP is mixing the two instances together. He states
> this site gives him problems, and then states that other sites using
> sound (like for mouseovers) give him the plug in prompt. Doesnt say he
> gets the plug in prompt on this site.

You're probably right, as usual!

Lee

JW