Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > What is firefox execution command for 1.0 in Linux

What is firefox execution command for 1.0 in Linux

Al. C

I run Slackware 9.1 with KDE

Al the Firefox 1.0 stuff is in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox directory. In there
is a script called "firefox". If I run it, I can open multiple instances of
firefox. Works good. But is it correct? Usually one runs stuff out of a ...
bin directory since it is always part of the path.

However, if i put firefox in /usr/bin it won't run at all, saying it can't
find the firefox directory.

If I put a symlink in /usr/bin:

firefox-->/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox

it runs, but I can't run multiple instances of firefox. Very strange.

What are you supposed to run to get this thing going and so that you can open
up multiple instances (say in different desktops) without getting the "user
is busy... create a new profile?" dialogue.

Thanks,

Al

Moz Champion

Al. C wrote:

> I run Slackware 9.1 with KDE
>
> Al the Firefox 1.0 stuff is in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox directory. In there
> is a script called "firefox". If I run it, I can open multiple instances of
> firefox. Works good. But is it correct? Usually one runs stuff out of a ...
> bin directory since it is always part of the path.
>
> However, if i put firefox in /usr/bin it won't run at all, saying it can't
> find the firefox directory.
>
> If I put a symlink in /usr/bin:
>
> firefox-->/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox
>
> it runs, but I can't run multiple instances of firefox. Very strange.
>
> What are you supposed to run to get this thing going and so that you can open
> up multiple instances (say in different desktops) without getting the "user
> is busy... create a new profile?" dialogue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al

You found the profile selection executable
It runs profile selection so you can open in multiple instances

To avoid the dialogue, create and use different profiles (see above) <g>

Um, running executables BEFORE you know what they do or why they are
there is NEVER a good idea <g>.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Al. C

Moz Champion wrote:

> Al. C wrote:
>
>> I run Slackware 9.1 with KDE
>>
>> Al the Firefox 1.0 stuff is in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox directory. In
>> there is a script called "firefox". If I run it, I can open multiple
>> instances of firefox. Works good. But is it correct? Usually one runs stuff
>> out of a ... bin directory since it is always part of the path.
>>
>> However, if i put firefox in /usr/bin it won't run at all, saying it can't
>> find the firefox directory.
>>
>> If I put a symlink in /usr/bin:
>>
>> firefox-->/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox
>>
>> it runs, but I can't run multiple instances of firefox. Very strange.
>>
>> What are you supposed to run to get this thing going and so that you can
>> open up multiple instances (say in different desktops) without getting the
>> "user is busy... create a new profile?" dialogue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Al
>>

> You found the profile selection executable
> It runs profile selection so you can open in multiple instances
>
> To avoid the dialogue, create and use different profiles (see above) <g>
>

> Um, running executables BEFORE you know what they do or why they are
> there is NEVER a good idea <g>.

Thanks. Running /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox works fine. I'm just not used
to running executables out of usr/lib. I believe the problem is how the
Slackware package was built.

Running executables as a user and not root is generally pretty safe...
assuming you know what you are doing... and I do (most of the time!)

Al

Moz Champion

Al. C wrote:

> Moz Champion wrote:
>

>>Al. C wrote:
>>

>>>I run Slackware 9.1 with KDE
>>>
>>>Al the Firefox 1.0 stuff is in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox directory. In
>>>there is a script called "firefox". If I run it, I can open multiple
>>>instances of firefox. Works good. But is it correct? Usually one runs stuff
>>>out of a ... bin directory since it is always part of the path.
>>>
>>>However, if i put firefox in /usr/bin it won't run at all, saying it can't
>>>find the firefox directory.
>>>
>>>If I put a symlink in /usr/bin:
>>>
>>>firefox-->/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox
>>>
>>>it runs, but I can't run multiple instances of firefox. Very strange.
>>>
>>>What are you supposed to run to get this thing going and so that you can
>>>open up multiple instances (say in different desktops) without getting the
>>>"user is busy... create a new profile?" dialogue.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Al
>>>

>>You found the profile selection executable
>>It runs profile selection so you can open in multiple instances
>>
>>To avoid the dialogue, create and use different profiles (see above) <g>
>>

>>Um, running executables BEFORE you know what they do or why they are
>>there is NEVER a good idea <g>.
>>

> Thanks. Running /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox works fine. I'm just not used
> to running executables out of usr/lib. I believe the problem is how the
> Slackware package was built.
>
> Running executables as a user and not root is generally pretty safe...
> assuming you know what you are doing... and I do (most of the time!)
>
> Al

See the Help notes (release notes) for assistance with using the package.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org