Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > XML(?) problem

XML(?) problem

Daniel A. Munz

I am trying to load this page in Firefox:
http://classes.yale.edu/syllabus/plsc363b/

When it loads, all I see is the code for the page, not the actual text of
the page. IE (shudder) displays the page correctly.

Why is this? What can I do to fix it?

Thank in advance,

--
Daniel A. Munz
Yale University '06

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study
mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

King of Red Lions

Daniel A. Munz wrote:
> I am trying to load this page in Firefox:
> http://classes.yale.edu/syllabus/plsc363b/
>
> When it loads, all I see is the code for the page, not the actual text of
> the page. IE (shudder) displays the page correctly.
>
> Why is this? What can I do to fix it?
>
> Thank in advance,

No IE is displaying it wrong. It is a text/plain file. FireFox on the
other hand is displaying it correctly, showing the plain text that was
written in the file. Another case of bad browser displaying bad code
correctly.

Daniel A. Munz

"King of Red Lions" <thaynes/no_spam/@gawab.com> wrote in message
news:csecn5$ous$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Daniel A. Munz wrote:
>> I am trying to load this page in Firefox:
>> http://classes.yale.edu/syllabus/plsc363b/
>>
>> When it loads, all I see is the code for the page, not the actual text of
>> the page. IE (shudder) displays the page correctly.
>>
>> Why is this? What can I do to fix it?
>>
>> Thank in advance,

> No IE is displaying it wrong. It is a text/plain file. FireFox on the
> other hand is displaying it correctly, showing the plain text that was
> written in the file. Another case of bad browser displaying bad code
> correctly.

Fair enough. So, is there any way to make Firefox get it wrong like IE?
After all, my ultimate goal is to see the durn thing in Firefox.

--
Daniel A. Munz
Yale University '06
http://www.bulldogblue.com

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study
mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

Ed Mullen

Daniel A. Munz wrote:

> "King of Red Lions" <thaynes/no_spam/@gawab.com> wrote in message
> news:csecn5$ous$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Daniel A. Munz wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to load this page in Firefox:
>>>http://classes.yale.edu/syllabus/plsc363b/
>>>
>>>When it loads, all I see is the code for the page, not the actual text of
>>>the page. IE (shudder) displays the page correctly.
>>>
>>>Why is this? What can I do to fix it?
>>>
>>>Thank in advance,

>>No IE is displaying it wrong. It is a text/plain file. FireFox on the
>>other hand is displaying it correctly, showing the plain text that was
>>written in the file. Another case of bad browser displaying bad code
>>correctly.

> Fair enough. So, is there any way to make Firefox get it wrong like IE?
> After all, my ultimate goal is to see the durn thing in Firefox.

Your best bet is to notify the Webmaster that the server is incorrectly
identifying the page as text/plain instead of text/html. Firefox is
doing exactly what it's supposed to do with the information sent by the
server.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net