Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > middle mouse button in FIREFOX

middle mouse button in FIREFOX

F_r_a_n_k__P_a_n_u_c_c_i

I don't want the middle mouse button in FIREFOX to do anything but
scroll vertically. Yet, If I am accidentally scrolling the wheel and I
move the mouse left or right, it jumps, either back to the previous page
or ahead to the next page. I have no mouse gesture software installed,
and I've gone into control panel to completely disable mouse-wheel
clicks in all software and in FIREFOX individually. It still loads
pages when I don't want it to. I have to make sure the mouse pointer is
nowhere near the active FIREFOX window if I don't want unintentional
stuff to happen when I scroll the mouse wheel.

I have an ADVANCED PREFERENCES extension installed, but I can't find an
option to ignore the action of the mouse wheel when I also jiggle the mouse.

Ideas? This problem has persisted on this PC through the last few
updates of FIREFOX.

Currently running 1.0 on WinXP.

someone

> I don't want the middle mouse button in FIREFOX to do anything but

You & I are near twins (WinXP, FF1, Logitech scroll mouse here) I have
none of Logitech software installed but the 3rd button sometimes works
(not just in FF) the scroll button *always* works & I'm glad, should I be ?
--
Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
http://www.rfruth.net

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

someone

>> I don't want the middle mouse button in FIREFOX to do anything but

> You & I are near twins (WinXP, FF1, Logitech scroll mouse here) I have
> none of Logitech software installed but the 3rd button sometimes works
> (not just in FF) the scroll button *always* works & I'm glad, should I be ?

WinXP = Windows XP, FF1 = Firefox version 1.0, hope were on the same
page (*don't) put anything below the "--"

--
Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
http://www.rfruth.net

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

Travis Evans

On 01/13/2005 07:31 PM, F_r_a_n_k__P_a_n_u_c_c_i > wrote:
> I don't want the middle mouse button in FIREFOX to do anything but
> scroll vertically. Yet, If I am accidentally scrolling the wheel and I
> move the mouse left or right, it jumps, either back to the previous page
> or ahead to the next page. I have no mouse gesture software installed,
> and I've gone into control panel to completely disable mouse-wheel
> clicks in all software and in FIREFOX individually. It still loads
> pages when I don't want it to. I have to make sure the mouse pointer is
> nowhere near the active FIREFOX window if I don't want unintentional
> stuff to happen when I scroll the mouse wheel.
>
> I have an ADVANCED PREFERENCES extension installed, but I can't find an
> option to ignore the action of the mouse wheel when I also jiggle the
> mouse.
>
> Ideas? This problem has persisted on this PC through the last few
> updates of FIREFOX.
>
> Currently running 1.0 on WinXP.

This fixed a similar problem I was having:

1. Type "about:config" (without the quotation marks) into the address
bar (where you normally type websites) and press Enter.

2. In the "filter" box, type "mousewheel" without quotation marks (if
you're using the TBE extension, you may need to press Enter after this,
too.) The list of options below should change.

3. Find the option named "mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action" in
the list and double-click it.

4. You should get a box that lets you type a number.

- If you want it to scroll left and right instead of going back and
forward, type 0.

- If you don't want it to do anything, type any number except 0, 1,
2, or 3 (for example, type 4 or 5).

5. Click OK.

The change should take effect immediately.

Hope that helps.

--
Travis

[My email address listed is valid, but may change from time to time to
reduce spam. When emailing me, please check one of my recent Usenet
messages to make sure you are using the current address; otherwise, I
may not receive your message.]

F_r_a_n_k__P_a_n_u_c_c_i

Travis Evans wrote:
> This fixed a similar problem I was having:

That seems to have tamed it. Thanks! The pages no longer go forward
and backward in the history if I jiggle the mouse while scrolling with
the wheel.