Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Google Scholar Search (FF1.0)

Google Scholar Search (FF1.0)

Kneewax

Anyone know if its possible to change the default google search bar that
is default in FF1.0 to scholar.google.com rather than standard google
search.

Cheers Kneewax
History is an illusion caused by the passage of time.
Time is an illusion caused by the passage of History
- Wave Harmonic Theory of
Historical Perception (DNA)

Make my 'cold' a 'hot' to mail me!

Leonidas Jones

Kneewax wrote:
> Anyone know if its possible to change the default google search bar that
> is default in FF1.0 to scholar.google.com rather than standard google
> search.
>
> Cheers Kneewax

Look at Mycroft:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org

Lee

Kneewax

Leonidas Jones wrote:
<snip>
> Look at Mycroft:
>
> http://mycroft.mozdev.org
>
> Lee

</snip>

Sadly - scholar.google.com seems to be the one google engine they don't
have a plugin for Thanks for the tip though, I'll check back in a
month or too!

Kneewax wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Look at Mycroft:
>>
>> http://mycroft.mozdev.org
>>
>> Lee

> </snip>
>
> Sadly - scholar.google.com seems to be the one google engine they don't
> have a plugin for Thanks for the tip though, I'll check back in a
> month or too!
>
> Cheers
> Kneewax

Create your own?

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/contribute.html

YOu could probably use the many existing Googlre plugins as models.

Lee

Splibbilla

Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:i8BFd.9178$(E-Mail Removed):

> could probably use the many existing Googlre plugins as models.

Make a text file (using notepad for example)
save as ScholarGoogle.src
be sure the file is in searchplugins folder (a subfolder in Mozilla folder)
paste the all stuff far below into your text file
then restart/start Moz or Firefox.

# Mozilla/(assume Firefox, too) scholar.google.com plug-in as mangled by Splibblyblibbly alt.fan.mozilla from the plain
google.src by (E-Mail Removed)

<search
name="ScholarGoogle"
description="Scholar Google Search"
method="GET"
# blank query http://scholar.google.com/
action="http://scholar.google.com/scholar"
queryEncoding="utf-8"
queryCharset="utf-8"

# <input name="q" user>
# or
<input name="q" user="">
# commented out these options:
# <input name="sourceid" value="mozilla-search">
# <inputnext name="start" factor="10">
# <inputprev name="start" factor="10">
# <input name="ie" value="utf-8">
# <input name="oe" value="utf-8">
# <input name="hl" value="en">

<interpret
browserResultType="result"
charset = "UTF-8"
resultListStart="<!--a-->"
resultListEnd="<!--z-->"
resultItemStart="<!--m-->"
resultItemEnd="<!--n-->"

</search>

<browser
# comment-out update, because this SRC and PNG haven't been submitted to mycroft anyways!
# update="http://www.google.com/mozilla/ScholarGoogle.src"
# updateIcon="http://mycroft.mozdev.org/plugins/ScholarGoogle.png"
# updateCheckDays=1

Splibbilla

Splibbilla <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:Xns95DEEC4BD9D8E7@64.85.239.19:

<interpret
browserResultType="result"
charset = "UTF-8"
resultListStart="<!--a-->"
resultListEnd="<!--z-->"
resultItemStart="<!--m-->"
resultItemEnd="<!--n-->"

oops. if you want sidebar results (which aren't very useful, because they aren't much distinguishable from each other), replace
the above with this:

<interpret
browserResultType='result'
resultListStart='<span class="w">'
resultListEnd='<div class=n>'
resultItemStart='<font size=-2><b>'
resultItemEnd='</font></font>'

Kneewax

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Kneewax wrote:
>
>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> <snip>
>>

> Create your own?
>
> http://mycroft.mozdev.org/contribute.html
>
> YOu could probably use the many existing Googlre plugins as models.
>
> Lee

</snip>

Thanks Lee - I've had a go at that now and submitted one, seems to work
my end, so hopefully it'll be of some use to others.....

History is an illusion caused by the passage of time.
Time is an illusion caused by the passage of History
- Wave Harmonic Theory of
Historical Perception (DNA)

Make my 'cold' a 'hot' to mail me!

Kneewax

Splibbilla wrote:

<snip>

Thanks, for that. However I had a hash myself before I saw your post,
and got accurate results, will check my version against yours to see the
differences and see if I can work out what they do! (Its been a while
since I coded anything, and my COBOL programming training is fairly
insignificant these days!! )

Cheers Kneewax