Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Tough Problem: Anonymous Posting Enabled Forum

Tough Problem: Anonymous Posting Enabled Forum

W. Jordan

Hello Gurus,

I am developing an ASP.net forum in our intranet. The design
specification requires that the forum provides a way for
the users to post anonymously.

Here's the structure of the database table which stores the
threads in a forum:

CREATE TABLE Module_ForumThreads (
ThreadID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
ForumID int NOT NULL ,
Title nvarchar (100) NOT NULL ,
Poster Nvarchar (16) NOT NULL ,
PostTime datetime NOT NULL
CONSTRAINT DF_Module_ForumThreads_PostTime
DEFAULT (getdate()),

CONSTRAINT PK_Module_ForumThreads PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(ThreadID)
)

If somebody posts anonymously, the Poster field will be
logged as "Anonymous".

A typical sample of records might looks like these:

ThreadID, ForumID, Title, Poster, PostTime
1, 1, "Hello world", "Many", "2005-5-13 08:12:12"
2, 1, "Da**it my income's gotten cut", "Anonymous", "2005-5-13 08:13:39"
3, 1, "Hello world too", "John", "2005-5-13 08:14:05"

Since there's a timestamp in the table, if the boss is
unhappy about the record 2 by the anonymous, he might
require the IT professionals to check up the IIS W3C
logs stored in the intranet server, and search for a
record posted at "2005-5-13 08:13:39". By addressing
the IP in the IIS record, the boss will be able to
find out which guy has posted "Da**it..." actually.

The design specification of the intranet disagrees
what the boss might done as the above and encourages
the employees to post anonymously by providing a
real "anonymous" post, without traceable logs.

If I don't disable the IIS logs, how I can workaround
this problem and get a anonymous posting enabled
forum?

--

Best Regards,
W. Jordan

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=

Hi but you can capture the IP address to the Database too..
That might be easier for you to do
Patrick

"W. Jordan" wrote:

> Hello Gurus,
>
> I am developing an ASP.net forum in our intranet. The design
> specification requires that the forum provides a way for
> the users to post anonymously.
>
> Here's the structure of the database table which stores the
> threads in a forum:
>
> CREATE TABLE Module_ForumThreads (
> ThreadID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
> ForumID int NOT NULL ,
> Title nvarchar (100) NOT NULL ,
> Poster Nvarchar (16) NOT NULL ,
> PostTime datetime NOT NULL
> CONSTRAINT DF_Module_ForumThreads_PostTime
> DEFAULT (getdate()),
>
> CONSTRAINT PK_Module_ForumThreads PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
> (ThreadID)
> )
>
> If somebody posts anonymously, the Poster field will be
> logged as "Anonymous".
>
> A typical sample of records might looks like these:
>
> ThreadID, ForumID, Title, Poster, PostTime
> 1, 1, "Hello world", "Many", "2005-5-13 08:12:12"
> 2, 1, "Da**it my income's gotten cut", "Anonymous", "2005-5-13 08:13:39"
> 3, 1, "Hello world too", "John", "2005-5-13 08:14:05"
>
> Since there's a timestamp in the table, if the boss is
> unhappy about the record 2 by the anonymous, he might
> require the IT professionals to check up the IIS W3C
> logs stored in the intranet server, and search for a
> record posted at "2005-5-13 08:13:39". By addressing
> the IP in the IIS record, the boss will be able to
> find out which guy has posted "Da**it..." actually.
>
> The design specification of the intranet disagrees
> what the boss might done as the above and encourages
> the employees to post anonymously by providing a
> real "anonymous" post, without traceable logs.
>
> If I don't disable the IIS logs, how I can workaround
> this problem and get a anonymous posting enabled
> forum?
>

> --
>
> Best Regards,
> W. Jordan

W. Jordan

Hi,

The purpose is NOT to capture the IP address for
the anonymous posters. Is there any way to provide
a un-traceable anonymous posting without disabling
the IP logging in the W3C logs in IIS?

Best Regards,
W. Jordan

"Patrick.O.Ige" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi but you can capture the IP address to the Database too..
> That might be easier for you to do
> Patrick
>
> "W. Jordan" wrote:
>
>> Hello Gurus,
>>
>> I am developing an ASP.net forum in our intranet. The design
>> specification requires that the forum provides a way for
>> the users to post anonymously.
>>
>> Here's the structure of the database table which stores the
>> threads in a forum:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE Module_ForumThreads (
>> ThreadID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
>> ForumID int NOT NULL ,
>> Title nvarchar (100) NOT NULL ,
>> Poster Nvarchar (16) NOT NULL ,
>> PostTime datetime NOT NULL
>> CONSTRAINT DF_Module_ForumThreads_PostTime
>> DEFAULT (getdate()),
>>
>> CONSTRAINT PK_Module_ForumThreads PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
>> (ThreadID)
>> )
>>
>> If somebody posts anonymously, the Poster field will be
>> logged as "Anonymous".
>>
>> A typical sample of records might looks like these:
>>
>> ThreadID, ForumID, Title, Poster, PostTime
>> 1, 1, "Hello world", "Many", "2005-5-13 08:12:12"
>> 2, 1, "Da**it my income's gotten cut", "Anonymous", "2005-5-13 08:13:39"
>> 3, 1, "Hello world too", "John", "2005-5-13 08:14:05"
>>
>> Since there's a timestamp in the table, if the boss is
>> unhappy about the record 2 by the anonymous, he might
>> require the IT professionals to check up the IIS W3C
>> logs stored in the intranet server, and search for a
>> record posted at "2005-5-13 08:13:39". By addressing
>> the IP in the IIS record, the boss will be able to
>> find out which guy has posted "Da**it..." actually.
>>
>> The design specification of the intranet disagrees
>> what the boss might done as the above and encourages
>> the employees to post anonymously by providing a
>> real "anonymous" post, without traceable logs.
>>
>> If I don't disable the IIS logs, how I can workaround
>> this problem and get a anonymous posting enabled
>> forum?
>>

>> --
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> W. Jordan

Juan T. Llibre

Patrick,

please read the posts carefully before replying.

What you suggest isn't, even remotely, related to his question.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
http://asp.net.do/foros/
Foros de ASP.NET en Español
Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
======================

"Patrick.O.Ige" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi but you can capture the IP address to the Database too..
> That might be easier for you to do
> Patrick
>
> "W. Jordan" wrote:
>
>> Hello Gurus,
>>
>> I am developing an ASP.net forum in our intranet. The design
>> specification requires that the forum provides a way for
>> the users to post anonymously.
>>
>> Here's the structure of the database table which stores the
>> threads in a forum:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE Module_ForumThreads (
>> ThreadID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
>> ForumID int NOT NULL ,
>> Title nvarchar (100) NOT NULL ,
>> Poster Nvarchar (16) NOT NULL ,
>> PostTime datetime NOT NULL
>> CONSTRAINT DF_Module_ForumThreads_PostTime
>> DEFAULT (getdate()),
>>
>> CONSTRAINT PK_Module_ForumThreads PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
>> (ThreadID)
>> )
>>
>> If somebody posts anonymously, the Poster field will be
>> logged as "Anonymous".
>>
>> A typical sample of records might looks like these:
>>
>> ThreadID, ForumID, Title, Poster, PostTime
>> 1, 1, "Hello world", "Many", "2005-5-13 08:12:12"
>> 2, 1, "Da**it my income's gotten cut", "Anonymous", "2005-5-13 08:13:39"
>> 3, 1, "Hello world too", "John", "2005-5-13 08:14:05"
>>
>> Since there's a timestamp in the table, if the boss is
>> unhappy about the record 2 by the anonymous, he might
>> require the IT professionals to check up the IIS W3C
>> logs stored in the intranet server, and search for a
>> record posted at "2005-5-13 08:13:39". By addressing
>> the IP in the IIS record, the boss will be able to
>> find out which guy has posted "Da**it..." actually.
>>
>> The design specification of the intranet disagrees
>> what the boss might done as the above and encourages
>> the employees to post anonymously by providing a
>> real "anonymous" post, without traceable logs.
>>
>> If I don't disable the IIS logs, how I can workaround
>> this problem and get a anonymous posting enabled
>> forum?
>>

>> --
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> W. Jordan

Bruce Barker

you could add a log filter to your site, that removed or changed the
ipaddress.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"W. Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Gurus,
>
> I am developing an ASP.net forum in our intranet. The design
> specification requires that the forum provides a way for
> the users to post anonymously.
>
> Here's the structure of the database table which stores the
> threads in a forum:
>
> CREATE TABLE Module_ForumThreads (
> ThreadID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
> ForumID int NOT NULL ,
> Title nvarchar (100) NOT NULL ,
> Poster Nvarchar (16) NOT NULL ,
> PostTime datetime NOT NULL
> CONSTRAINT DF_Module_ForumThreads_PostTime
> DEFAULT (getdate()),
>
> CONSTRAINT PK_Module_ForumThreads PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
> (ThreadID)
> )
>
> If somebody posts anonymously, the Poster field will be
> logged as "Anonymous".
>
> A typical sample of records might looks like these:
>
> ThreadID, ForumID, Title, Poster, PostTime
> 1, 1, "Hello world", "Many", "2005-5-13 08:12:12"
> 2, 1, "Da**it my income's gotten cut", "Anonymous", "2005-5-13 08:13:39"
> 3, 1, "Hello world too", "John", "2005-5-13 08:14:05"
>
> Since there's a timestamp in the table, if the boss is
> unhappy about the record 2 by the anonymous, he might
> require the IT professionals to check up the IIS W3C
> logs stored in the intranet server, and search for a
> record posted at "2005-5-13 08:13:39". By addressing
> the IP in the IIS record, the boss will be able to
> find out which guy has posted "Da**it..." actually.
>
> The design specification of the intranet disagrees
> what the boss might done as the above and encourages
> the employees to post anonymously by providing a
> real "anonymous" post, without traceable logs.
>
> If I don't disable the IIS logs, how I can workaround
> this problem and get a anonymous posting enabled
> forum?
>

> --
>
> Best Regards,
> W. Jordan

W. Jordan

Hello Bruce,

It seems that it is beyond the capability of ASP.net.
Perhaps the fastest way is to disable the IP fields in the
IIS W3C logs...

--
Best Regards,
W. Jordan

"Bruce Barker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23bq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> you could add a log filter to your site, that removed or changed the
> ipaddress.
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
> "W. Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello Gurus,
>>
>> I am developing an ASP.net forum in our intranet. The design
>> specification requires that the forum provides a way for
>> the users to post anonymously.
>>
>> Here's the structure of the database table which stores the
>> threads in a forum:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE Module_ForumThreads (
>> ThreadID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
>> ForumID int NOT NULL ,
>> Title nvarchar (100) NOT NULL ,
>> Poster Nvarchar (16) NOT NULL ,
>> PostTime datetime NOT NULL
>> CONSTRAINT DF_Module_ForumThreads_PostTime
>> DEFAULT (getdate()),
>>
>> CONSTRAINT PK_Module_ForumThreads PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
>> (ThreadID)
>> )
>>
>> If somebody posts anonymously, the Poster field will be
>> logged as "Anonymous".
>>
>> A typical sample of records might looks like these:
>>
>> ThreadID, ForumID, Title, Poster, PostTime
>> 1, 1, "Hello world", "Many", "2005-5-13 08:12:12"
>> 2, 1, "Da**it my income's gotten cut", "Anonymous", "2005-5-13 08:13:39"
>> 3, 1, "Hello world too", "John", "2005-5-13 08:14:05"
>>
>> Since there's a timestamp in the table, if the boss is
>> unhappy about the record 2 by the anonymous, he might
>> require the IT professionals to check up the IIS W3C
>> logs stored in the intranet server, and search for a
>> record posted at "2005-5-13 08:13:39". By addressing
>> the IP in the IIS record, the boss will be able to
>> find out which guy has posted "Da**it..." actually.
>>
>> The design specification of the intranet disagrees
>> what the boss might done as the above and encourages
>> the employees to post anonymously by providing a
>> real "anonymous" post, without traceable logs.
>>
>> If I don't disable the IIS logs, how I can workaround
>> this problem and get a anonymous posting enabled
>> forum?
>>

>> --
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> W. Jordan

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Thats true my fault didn't get the question until the second post