Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Prevent Firefox from reloading a page ?

Prevent Firefox from reloading a page ?

Ron Duval

I surf offline with Firefox 1.0.

On the site www.boursier.com (french language), I click say on 2 or 3 lines
in the middle of the screen to see the stock exchange news. Then I
disconnect.
After approximately 5 mn, the pages try to reload themselves automatically,
which leads to the xul error page saying it is impossible to establish the
connection.

Is there anyway to block this behaviour? I tried to block javascripts,
tweaked about:config with cache frequency checking, or all the timeout
parameters. Nothing did it.

It happened with Opera, too, but Opera just showed a dialog box and did not
empty the pages. With Firefox, I have to reconnect and reload every 5 mn,
which is very inconvenient.

MLC

_Ron Duval_, marted́ 11/gen/2005:

> I surf offline with Firefox 1.0.
>
> On the site www.boursier.com (french language), I click say on 2 or 3 lines
> in the middle of the screen to see the stock exchange news. Then I
> disconnect.
> After approximately 5 mn, the pages try to reload themselves automatically,
> which leads to the xul error page saying it is impossible to establish the
> connection.
>
> Is there anyway to block this behaviour? I tried to block javascripts,
> tweaked about:config with cache frequency checking, or all the timeout
> parameters. Nothing did it.
>
> It happened with Opera, too, but Opera just showed a dialog box and did not
> empty the pages. With Firefox, I have to reconnect and reload every 5 mn,
> which is very inconvenient.

Did you try to set Firefox offline?
File - Work Offline
I think this should prevent FF from trying to refresh the page.

Then, if you get bored to have to use the menu everytime, there is an
extension to show a button on the status bar to connect/disconnect:
"Work Offline"
http://multi.nadenade.com/leafy/Mozilla/Offline/
--
Maria Luisa C - 11/01/2005 18.04.52

Ron Duval

MLC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:9iudjem8trh6$(E-Mail Removed):

> http://multi.nadenade.com/leafy/Mozilla/Offline/

It seems to work, but ... not really!

If you switch to offline, FF stops refreshing pages, which is OK. However,
if you need to view a new page (clicking a link for instance from outlook
express), you need to connect even for a short time, and then the frozen
pages try to refresh again. However, they never get displayed again and FF
keeps running. All you get are the error pages with "Connection Failure
Error". And you can't get the pages back from the cache.

I can't find the solution. Is there any timeout parameter that I could
increase anywhere ? Is there a way to get the pages back from the cache ?
Or is there a way to definitely block this reloading mechanisn as soon as a
page is displayed ?