Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Problem: Cannot load URL by pressing Enter

Problem: Cannot load URL by pressing Enter

Martin Brunner

Maybe someone has an idea what is wrong:

Although I didn't have this problem on other computers, I have it on the
laptop. I updated the version of Mozilla two times but it didnt help yet:

Let's say I have a link like
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0305392/ and want to go back to the main
url. No I klick into the address-line and remove "title/tt0305392/" so
that I get http://www.imdb.com/.

But then The adress-line pops up with all the other links i used before
and I cannot go to this URL by pressing return. I have to klick one of
the shown up links or I have to open a new window.

What is wrong there?

Martin Brunner

Martin Brunner schrieb:

> But then The adress-line pops up with all the other links i used before
> and I cannot go to this URL by pressing return. I have to klick one of
> the shown up links or I have to open a new window.

I figured out the same problem is when I enter a url which is in the
history.

The Adress line pops up and I cannot press enter anymore.

Jowah

Martin Brunner wrote:
> Martin Brunner schrieb:
>
>> But then The adress-line pops up with all the other links i used
>> before and I cannot go to this URL by pressing return. I have to klick
>> one of the shown up links or I have to open a new window.

> I figured out the same problem is when I enter a url which is in the
> history.
>
> The Adress line pops up and I cannot press enter anymore.

try hitting the delete key after you have removed the unwanted part of
the URL. That should close the drop down menu and allow you to press enter.

Rob

Jowah wrote:

> Martin Brunner wrote:
>
>> Martin Brunner schrieb:
>>
>>> But then The adress-line pops up with all the other links i used
>>> before and I cannot go to this URL by pressing return. I have to
>>> klick one of the shown up links or I have to open a new window.

>> I figured out the same problem is when I enter a url which is in the
>> history.
>>
>> The Adress line pops up and I cannot press enter anymore.

> try hitting the delete key after you have removed the unwanted part of
> the URL. That should close the drop down menu and allow you to press
> enter.

The delete key can be destructive, depending on where the cursor ends
up! I've found the "Left arrow/cursor' key works much safer, as it
won't remove/shift any characters.
Rob