Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Is FF Options/Advanced/SoftwareUpdate supposed to work ?

Is FF Options/Advanced/SoftwareUpdate supposed to work ?

Al Dykes

Is Software Update in FF 1.0 supposed to work ? I tried it last night
and it said there was an update. I clicked on Install and then let the
spinner run for half an hour and then killed it.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Tony Raven

Al Dykes wrote:
> Is Software Update in FF 1.0 supposed to work ? I tried it last night
> and it said there was an update. I clicked on Install and then let the
> spinner run for half an hour and then killed it.

Yes but as far as I can see it only updates extensions (or maybe that's
because it hasn't had a program update to handle so far)

Tony

carl

Tony Raven wrote:
> Al Dykes wrote:
>
>> Is Software Update in FF 1.0 supposed to work ? I tried it last night
>> and it said there was an update. I clicked on Install and then let the
>> spinner run for half an hour and then killed it.
>>

> Yes but as far as I can see it only updates extensions (or maybe that's
> because it hasn't had a program update to handle so far)
>
> Tony

Isnt there a dispute or something going on at the moment? could be wrong
but I think the author of the update program has broken the update
action while things get sorted. You have to click on the "get updates"
link at the bottom right to take you to an update page. Note this is
from very vague memory I read ages ago so could be way off here! lol.

Carl

--
[ATF]NoX
Clan ATF

Bakerboy

Al Dykes wrote:
> Is Software Update in FF 1.0 supposed to work ? I tried it last night
> and it said there was an update. I clicked on Install and then let the
> spinner run for half an hour and then killed it.

Do you have the 'Allow web sites to install software' option unchecked
under Tools->Options->Web features?

I found that if this isn't checked (and update.mozilla.org isn't in the
allowed sites list), the update wouldn't work for me.

Your mileage might vary......

--
Remove the Xs to reply

Al Dykes

In article <5PDDd.39584$nN6.27276@edtnps84>,
Bakerboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Al Dykes wrote:
>> Is Software Update in FF 1.0 supposed to work ? I tried it last night
>> and it said there was an update. I clicked on Install and then let the
>> spinner run for half an hour and then killed it.
>>

>Do you have the 'Allow web sites to install software' option unchecked
>under Tools->Options->Web features?
>
>I found that if this isn't checked (and update.mozilla.org isn't in the
>allowed sites list), the update wouldn't work for me.
>
>Your mileage might vary......
>

>--
>Remove the Xs to reply

Bingo! That did it. I think someone needs to make some changes
so people like me don't fall into this gottcha.

At the very least put some text on the panel called

FoxFile Updates
Checking for updates

that tells me that the box on tools/OPtions needs to be checked.

OTOH;

When I do a "check for updates" and want to install one
I should be warned, but I'mm effectivly giving a one-time
approval to install software.

Thanks