Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > background music with <embed>

background music with <embed>

alice s

Hi

I'm a newbie and thanks for your patience. When I visit a page that has
background music playing in a in a loop (eg. http://www.residence-apollo.ch)
I get a message in the form of a line below the menu bars that says
"additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page". If
I click on the "install missing plugins" button on the right, the finder
service says that Qucktime 6.5.1 is "available". The next screen says that
it's "not available and needs to be manually installed. The problem is that
it is already installed on my system (as are Windows Player and Real Player
which were not detected by the finder service). I installed Quicktime again
but I still get the same problem.

I'm running Firefox 1.0 on Windows XP SP2 otherwise without problems. Music
plays fine with IE. I have Firefox 1.0 on another machine, also Windows XP
SP2 and the music works fine, but I can't figure out what's different.

The line involved is

<embed src="http://www.some_site.com/some_music.mp3" autostart="true"
loop="true" width="2" height="0"> </embed>

Thks for your help

Moz Champion

alice s wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm a newbie and thanks for your patience. When I visit a page that has
> background music playing in a in a loop (eg. http://www.residence-apollo.ch)
> I get a message in the form of a line below the menu bars that says
> "additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page". If
> I click on the "install missing plugins" button on the right, the finder
> service says that Qucktime 6.5.1 is "available". The next screen says that
> it's "not available and needs to be manually installed. The problem is that
> it is already installed on my system (as are Windows Player and Real Player
> which were not detected by the finder service). I installed Quicktime again
> but I still get the same problem.
>
> I'm running Firefox 1.0 on Windows XP SP2 otherwise without problems. Music
> plays fine with IE. I have Firefox 1.0 on another machine, also Windows XP
> SP2 and the music works fine, but I can't figure out what's different.
>
> The line involved is
>
> <embed src="http://www.some_site.com/some_music.mp3" autostart="true"
> loop="true" width="2" height="0"> </embed>
>
> Thks for your help

Type in "aboutlugins" into the location bar in Firefox
That will bring up a window showing you the plug ins Firefox see's as
installed. Is Quicktime installed?

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

alice s

Hi Moz Champ:

I did what you suggested. I guess it sees Quicktime as installed (?) because
there are two Quicktime 6.5.1 plugins (npqtplugin2.dll and npqtplugin.dll )
with about a dozen MIME types, however (if this is of any relevance) none
have the extention "mp3". All are enabled. The Mozilla default plug-in is
NOT enabled. There are plugins for Real Player but with rpj and rpm
extentions only (both enabled). There are a number of plugins for Windows
Media but none specifically for mp3.

alice s

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
d8qDd.74405$(E-Mail Removed)...
> alice s wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm a newbie and thanks for your patience. When I visit a page that has
>> background music playing in a in a loop (eg.
>> http://www.residence-apollo.ch) I get a message in the form of a line
>> below the menu bars that says "additional plugins are required to display
>> all the media on this page". If I click on the "install missing plugins"
>> button on the right, the finder service says that Qucktime 6.5.1 is
>> "available". The next screen says that it's "not available and needs to
>> be manually installed. The problem is that it is already installed on my
>> system (as are Windows Player and Real Player which were not detected by
>> the finder service). I installed Quicktime again but I still get the
>> same problem.
>>
>> I'm running Firefox 1.0 on Windows XP SP2 otherwise without problems.
>> Music plays fine with IE. I have Firefox 1.0 on another machine, also
>> Windows XP SP2 and the music works fine, but I can't figure out what's
>> different.
>>
>> The line involved is
>>
>> <embed src="http://www.some_site.com/some_music.mp3" autostart="true"
>> loop="true" width="2" height="0"> </embed>
>>
>> Thks for your help

> Type in "aboutlugins" into the location bar in Firefox
> That will bring up a window showing you the plug ins Firefox see's as
> installed. Is Quicktime installed?
>
> --
> Mozilla Champion
> UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
> Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
> Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/

Moz Champion

alice s wrote:

> Hi Moz Champ:
>
> I did what you suggested. I guess it sees Quicktime as installed (?) because
> there are two Quicktime 6.5.1 plugins (npqtplugin2.dll and npqtplugin.dll )
> with about a dozen MIME types, however (if this is of any relevance) none
> have the extention "mp3". All are enabled. The Mozilla default plug-in is
> NOT enabled. There are plugins for Real Player but with rpj and rpm
> extentions only (both enabled). There are a number of plugins for Windows
> Media but none specifically for mp3.
>
> alice s
>
> "Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> d8qDd.74405$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>alice s wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I'm a newbie and thanks for your patience. When I visit a page that has
>>>background music playing in a in a loop (eg.
>>>http://www.residence-apollo.ch) I get a message in the form of a line
>>>below the menu bars that says "additional plugins are required to display
>>>all the media on this page". If I click on the "install missing plugins"
>>>button on the right, the finder service says that Qucktime 6.5.1 is
>>>"available". The next screen says that it's "not available and needs to
>>>be manually installed. The problem is that it is already installed on my
>>>system (as are Windows Player and Real Player which were not detected by
>>>the finder service). I installed Quicktime again but I still get the
>>>same problem.
>>>
>>>I'm running Firefox 1.0 on Windows XP SP2 otherwise without problems.
>>>Music plays fine with IE. I have Firefox 1.0 on another machine, also
>>>Windows XP SP2 and the music works fine, but I can't figure out what's
>>>different.
>>>
>>>The line involved is
>>>
>>><embed src="http://www.some_site.com/some_music.mp3" autostart="true"
>>>loop="true" width="2" height="0"> </embed>
>>>
>>>Thks for your help

>>Type in "aboutlugins" into the location bar in Firefox
>>That will bring up a window showing you the plug ins Firefox see's as
>>installed. Is Quicktime installed?
>>
>>--
>>Mozilla Champion
>>UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
>>Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
>>Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/

Hmmmm. Dont know if there should be two Quicktime plug ins listed (I'm
not a Windows type) but Quicktime does do mp3's and there should be a
good half dozen entries for files of that type.

You may have to manually delete all the instances of Quicktime plug ins,
and then re-install

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

alice s

Meanwhile I found the solution. One has to enable mp3 in Quicktime MIME
prefences. Thanks for your suggestions all the same

alice s

jTvDd.2430$(E-Mail Removed)...