Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can anyone suggest reasons NOT to follow these instructions?

Can anyone suggest reasons NOT to follow these instructions?

Tom Betz

A friend sent me this URL:

http://forevergeek.com/open_source/m...fox_faster.php

.... with instructions to speed up Firefox.

I followed them, with remarkably good results. I'm surprised they aren't
default settings already.

Could someone here suggest why they might not be universally beneficial
settings?

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

Dirk Feytons

Tom Betz wrote:

> A friend sent me this URL:
>
> http://forevergeek.com/open_source/m...fox_faster.php
>
> ... with instructions to speed up Firefox.
>
> I followed them, with remarkably good results. I'm surprised they aren't
> default settings already.
>
> Could someone here suggest why they might not be universally beneficial
> settings?

See Asa's comments on this:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007164.html

In short: the defaults are what they are for a reason.

--
Dirk

(PGP keyID: 0x448BC5DD - http://www.gnupg.org - http://www.pgp.com)

..oO° "Wake up! Time to die!" -- Blade Runner °Oo.

Leonidas Jones

Tom Betz wrote:
> A friend sent me this URL:
>
> http://forevergeek.com/open_source/m...fox_faster.php
>
> ... with instructions to speed up Firefox.
>
> I followed them, with remarkably good results. I'm surprised they aren't
> default settings already.
>
> Could someone here suggest why they might not be universally beneficial
> settings?

I've never used pipelining and never saw the need for it. There was
time when people were connecting its use with memory leakage, though I
haven't heard that one in a while.

I have also heard that not all servers support pipelining, and that it
can cause page layout problems. Again, I don't use it, so I can't say.
Most pages come up so fast on broadband that I can't see why I would
need it. Most of the people I know who do swear by it are actually
dialup users.

I think its better that it off by default, but what is lacking, which
the Suite has, is a simple enable/disable pref, no need to muck around
in about:config. The main problem most diehard suite users have with FF
is the severely truncated set of setable options. In fact, I always add
in TTLO and COnfiguration Mania extensions, both of which bring back the
checkbox for pipelining.

Lee

Tom Betz

Dirk Feytons <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> See Asa's comments on this:
> http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007164.html
>
> In short: the defaults are what they are for a reason.

Thanks.

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every
disability caused there is more blood on George W. Bush's hands,
and on the hands of everyone who voted for George W. Bush.
The more you know, the less likely you were to vote for Bush.
<http://shorterlink.com/?47TBP8>
For the facts on Iraq, see <http://optruth.org>.
I'm not the one who invented reality. Reality invented me.

Ed Mullen

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Tom Betz wrote:
>
>> A friend sent me this URL:
>>
>> http://forevergeek.com/open_source/m...fox_faster.php
>>
>> ... with instructions to speed up Firefox.
>>
>> I followed them, with remarkably good results. I'm surprised they
>> aren't default settings already.
>>
>> Could someone here suggest why they might not be universally
>> beneficial settings?
>>

> I've never used pipelining and never saw the need for it. There was
> time when people were connecting its use with memory leakage, though I
> haven't heard that one in a while.
>
> I have also heard that not all servers support pipelining, and that it
> can cause page layout problems. Again, I don't use it, so I can't say.
> Most pages come up so fast on broadband that I can't see why I would
> need it. Most of the people I know who do swear by it are actually
> dialup users.
>
> I think its better that it off by default, but what is lacking, which
> the Suite has, is a simple enable/disable pref, no need to muck around
> in about:config. The main problem most diehard suite users have with FF
> is the severely truncated set of setable options. In fact, I always add
> in TTLO and COnfiguration Mania extensions, both of which bring back the
> checkbox for pipelining.
>
> Lee

Yet another "feature" they stripped out of FF in the quest to slim it
down. Great, it's a smaller install file. And needlessly crippled.
It's all the little stuff that, IMHO, that makes Mozilla so superior.
Too much of which has been torn out of FF, only to increase its size by
having folks here referred to extension after extension to bring it back
to the level of the suite. Huh? Logic? No, marketing without any
sense to it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ant

On 1/4/2005 12:04 PM PT, Tom Betz wrote:

> A friend sent me this URL:
>
> http://forevergeek.com/open_source/m...fox_faster.php
>
> ... with instructions to speed up Firefox.
>
> I followed them, with remarkably good results. I'm surprised they aren't
> default settings already.
>
> Could someone here suggest why they might not be universally beneficial
> settings?

I noticed opening multiple Web pages with tabs get stalled and no loaded
Web pages.
--
"The ant has made himself illustrious; Through constant industry
industrious.; So what? Would you be calm and placid; If you were full of
| |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
\ _ / post): http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
( )

Danny Colyer

Ed Mullen complained:
> Yet another "feature" they stripped out of FF in the quest to slim it
> down. Great, it's a smaller install file. And needlessly crippled.
> It's all the little stuff that, IMHO, that makes Mozilla so superior.
> Too much of which has been torn out of FF, only to increase its size by
> having folks here referred to extension after extension to bring it back
> to the level of the suite. Huh? Logic? No, marketing without any
> sense to it.

Hmmm. I have to say that one of the things I really like about FF is
that I know exactly what features it has, because I've deliberately
installed most of them as extensions.

freddy@nightmare.com

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:36:57 +0000, Danny Colyer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ed Mullen complained:
>> Yet another "feature" they stripped out of FF in the quest to slim it
>> down. Great, it's a smaller install file. And needlessly crippled.
>> It's all the little stuff that, IMHO, that makes Mozilla so superior.
>> Too much of which has been torn out of FF, only to increase its size by
>> having folks here referred to extension after extension to bring it back
>> to the level of the suite. Huh? Logic? No, marketing without any
>> sense to it.

>Hmmm. I have to say that one of the things I really like about FF is
>that I know exactly what features it has, because I've deliberately
>installed most of them as extensions.

I was very disappointed with firefox at first, but I warmed up to the
whole extensions thing. I like the fact that people can input new
functionality at random.

Unfortunately it's a geek program, not something your grandmother
could install and run easily.

On the plus side, so what ? It's nice to see some diversity in the
marketplace.

joy beeson

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:53:10 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

> Unfortunately it's a geek program, not something your grandmother
> could install and run easily.

Mozilla 1.0.1 was recommended to me by a grandmother, and it
work quite nicely for other little old ladies. (Actually,
she recommended 1.0; the website told me that I wanted 1.0.1
instead.) Took a little hand-holding from the resident geek
to get up the nerve to unzip it and install it, but it's
worked with no trouble at all -- except when I visit
badly-designed sites, and no browser can do anything about
that.

Anybody working on a browser that will let me whap a web
designer with my umbrella?

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbeeson59...HSEW/ROUGH.HTM

Ed Mullen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:36:57 +0000, Danny Colyer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Ed Mullen complained:
>>
>>>Yet another "feature" they stripped out of FF in the quest to slim it
>>>down. Great, it's a smaller install file. And needlessly crippled.
>>>It's all the little stuff that, IMHO, that makes Mozilla so superior.
>>>Too much of which has been torn out of FF, only to increase its size by
>>>having folks here referred to extension after extension to bring it back
>>>to the level of the suite. Huh? Logic? No, marketing without any
>>>sense to it.

>>Hmmm. I have to say that one of the things I really like about FF is
>>that I know exactly what features it has, because I've deliberately
>>installed most of them as extensions.

> I was very disappointed with firefox at first, but I warmed up to the
> whole extensions thing. I like the fact that people can input new
> functionality at random.
>
> Unfortunately it's a geek program, not something your grandmother
> could install and run easily.
>
> On the plus side, so what ? It's nice to see some diversity in the
> marketplace.

Most "grandmothers" couldn't spell "computer" without assistance. Lame
comment. I help many friends and relatives (no grandmothers but a
70-year-old aunt and other "techno-challenged" post-60 persons) with
their computers. Patience is a virtue. And with it I've been able to
talk everyone through installing and using both Mozilla and FF/TB.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net