Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Accessing Shared Folders on a computer in another domain using UNC

Accessing Shared Folders on a computer in another domain using UNC

Baron

an asp.net page on Machine A is trying to access files on several machines
of different domains..
any 'good' method to do it without mapping drive in prior.....

i've read something called impersonate; but it use PInvoke, which I don't
like using personally

any good solution?

thanks!!!

Scott Allen

You could run the ASP.NET application with the identity of a domain
user who is trusted on those other domains. Also, impersonation
doesn't nessecarily require pinvoke, in fact you could impersonate a
user by entering a specific username / password in web.config or in
the registry and get to the networked drives.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:13:20 +0800, "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>an asp.net page on Machine A is trying to access files on several machines
>of different domains..
>any 'good' method to do it without mapping drive in prior.....
>
>i've read something called impersonate; but it use PInvoke, which I don't
>like using personally
>
>any good solution?
>
>thanks!!!

Baron

but the point is
I'll need different accounts when accessing different machines

thanks
baron
"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You could run the ASP.NET application with the identity of a domain
> user who is trusted on those other domains. Also, impersonation
> doesn't nessecarily require pinvoke, in fact you could impersonate a
> user by entering a specific username / password in web.config or in
> the registry and get to the networked drives.
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
>
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:13:20 +0800, "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>an asp.net page on Machine A is trying to access files on several machines
>>of different domains..
>>any 'good' method to do it without mapping drive in prior.....
>>
>>i've read something called impersonate; but it use PInvoke, which I don't
>>like using personally
>>
>>any good solution?
>>
>>thanks!!!

Scott Allen

In that case you may want to look at using delegation. Delegation
allows the client's identity to hop from the web browser to your web
server, and then again from the server to the file share on a third
machine. The third machine will then see the client's identity when a
request is made for the file.

I have some links here:
http://odetocode.com/Blogs/scott/arc...2/24/1053.aspx

--