Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Form no longer submits - client validator problem?

Form no longer submits - client validator problem?

Wysiwyg

I'm going back to a previous asp.net (C#) web project after a few months of
inactivity and my first form, the login, won't submit. I ran with the
debugger and still can't see how to resolve this. I am developing with
VS2003 and on Windows 2000 Server and have all of the service packs for .NET
and Windows. The application is running on an intranet and I'm running this
test with IE6. Javascript is functional.

The logon form has text fields for userid and password with a submit button.
The form doesn't submit either by pressing the submit button or by using the
enter key. This worked fine a few months ago.

If I set the page's ClientTarget property to DownLevel, which bypasses the
client-side validation for required fields completely, the form works. I
made sure the latest WebUIValidation.js is in the
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\1_1_43 22\ directory by comparing
to the base files in
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\ASP.NET ClientFiles\ . I also
cleared out the temporary files under the v1.1.4322 directory.

The event handlers are still in the InitializeComponent so my events haven't
been wiped, i.e. I still have a "this.BtnSubmit.Click += new
System.EventHandler(this.BtnSubmit_Click);" line in the source. The submit
button does attempt to submit the form.

The form has two fields, user and password, plus a submit button. The
client-side validation still works correctly. If I leave a field blank the
errors show in the validation summary as I'd expect and are cleared if I
fill in the user and password fields as they should be prior to submitting
if the client side validation succeeds.

I added a break to the form tag line in the debugger. The form tag in the
generated html looks like so:

<form name="logon" method="post"
action="logon.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2ffsp%2fdefault.aspx " language="javascript"
onsubmit="if (!ValidatorOnSubmit()) return false;" id="logon">

I added a break to the generated ValidatorOnSubmit() function which looks
like so:

function ValidatorOnSubmit() {
if (Page_ValidationActive) {
return ValidatorCommonOnSubmit();
}
return true;
}

This is returning TRUE but the form still doesn't submit. The
ValidatorOnSubmit and onsubmit inline code were generated and not explicitly
created by me.

Other webs on the same development server still work. I tried deleting and
creating the application in the IIS Manager but that didn't change the
behavior.

The form's onsubmit="if (!ValidatorOnSubmit()) return false;" doesn't
explicitly return TRUE but this shouldn't matter.

Can anyone think of anything else I can check to see what is causing the
problem now?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bill

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

> VS2003 and on Windows 2000 Server and have all of the service packs for
> .NET

The service pack reference makes me think of this:

BUG: The Submit button on ASP.NET pages does not work after you install the
..NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

"Wysiwyg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d4jr2k$2kk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> like so:
>
> function ValidatorOnSubmit() {
> if (Page_ValidationActive) {
> return ValidatorCommonOnSubmit();
> }
> return true;
> }
>
> This is returning TRUE but the form still doesn't submit. The
> ValidatorOnSubmit and onsubmit inline code were generated and not
> explicitly
> created by me.
>
> Other webs on the same development server still work. I tried deleting and
> creating the application in the IIS Manager but that didn't change the
> behavior.
>
> The form's onsubmit="if (!ValidatorOnSubmit()) return false;" doesn't
> explicitly return TRUE but this shouldn't matter.
>
> Can anyone think of anything else I can check to see what is causing the

Wysiwyg

Thanks, that did the job. I copied the scripts manually but that didn't do
the trick for some reason.

I ran "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet _regiis.exe -c" and
that did the job.

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > VS2003 and on Windows 2000 Server and have all of the service packs for
> > .NET

> The service pack reference makes me think of this:
>
> BUG: The Submit button on ASP.NET pages does not work after you install

the
> .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

> "Wysiwyg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d4jr2k$2kk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm going back to a previous asp.net (C#) web project after a few months
> > of
> > inactivity and my first form, the login, won't submit. I ran with the
> > debugger and still can't see how to resolve this. I am developing with
> > VS2003 and on Windows 2000 Server and have all of the service packs for
> > .NET
> > and Windows. The application is running on an intranet and I'm running
> > this
> > test with IE6. Javascript is functional.

[snip]