Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > playing midi's with Firefox

playing midi's with Firefox

David Emerling

I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than IE.
However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.

I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins

and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions. That
seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.

How can I get these to play using what I already have installed on my
computer?

Thanks!

--
David Emerling - Memphis, TN
If you want to email me - remove HATESPAM from the above address.

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:19:46 GMT, in message
<m8lBd.44935$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Emerling wrote:

> I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than IE.
> However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.
>
> I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins

Another place to check is, enter this URL into the URL bar

aboutlugins

This gives more detail on the plug-ins.

> and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions. That
> seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.

Evidently Firefox did not bundle a MIDI plug-in.

You can still install one yourself. You get to choose a MIDI plug-in
which you personally like.

> How can I get these to play

Download and install a suitable plug-in for MIDI files.

There is a choice of plug-ins, so pick one which you like.
Personally I use the QuickTime plug-in to play MIDI files, but
others prefer a leaner and meaner plug-in.

• Popular plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
• Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow..._search_pi.jsp
• Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/

Or see the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
aboutlugins
into the URL bar.

> using what I already have installed on my
> computer?

Does that mean you don't want to install a MIDI plug-in?

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine

::..BRIAN..::

(On 12/31/2004 6:19 PM) David Emerling wrote:
> I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than IE.
> However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.
>
> I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins
>
> and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions. That
> seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.
>
> How can I get these to play using what I already have installed on my
> computer?
>
> Thanks!

I don't think MIDI files on webpages are quite as common as you think.

Regardless, it all depends on what tag was used to embed the sound. If
the page is using the <bgsound> tag, then it's not going to work since
it's not an HTML standard and I believe is only supported by IE. But if
the page uses the <object> tag, then it should work with Firefox.

I remember seeing an extension a long time ago that dealt with MIDI file
<bgsound>s.
--
Brian

Email Info--
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Leonidas Jones

::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
> (On 12/31/2004 6:19 PM) David Emerling wrote:
>
>> I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than
>> IE. However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.
>>
>> I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins
>>
>> and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions.
>> That seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.
>>
>> How can I get these to play using what I already have installed on my
>> computer?
>>
>> Thanks!

> I don't think MIDI files on webpages are quite as common as you think.
>
> Regardless, it all depends on what tag was used to embed the sound. If
> the page is using the <bgsound> tag, then it's not going to work since
> it's not an HTML standard and I believe is only supported by IE. But if
> the page uses the <object> tag, then it should work with Firefox.
>
> I remember seeing an extension a long time ago that dealt with MIDI file
> <bgsound>s.

Brian is quite correct about bgsound being MS proprietary code that will
only work in IE. Its very simple, so a lot of people use it anyway.
the object tags are the standard, but IE sometimes has a problem with
it/ The embed tags, while deprecated, do still work in all modern browsers.

The extension Brian was thinking of is BgSound to Embed:

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index...369&hl=bgsound

Lee

David Emerling

"Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed) .net.nz...
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:19:46 GMT, in message
> <m8lBd.44935$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Emerling wrote:
>
>> I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than IE.
>> However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.
>>
>> I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins

> Another place to check is, enter this URL into the URL bar
>
> aboutlugins
>
> This gives more detail on the plug-ins.
>

>> and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions.
>> That
>> seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.

> Evidently Firefox did not bundle a MIDI plug-in.
>
> You can still install one yourself. You get to choose a MIDI plug-in
> which you personally like.
>

>> How can I get these to play

> Download and install a suitable plug-in for MIDI files.
>
> There is a choice of plug-ins, so pick one which you like.
> Personally I use the QuickTime plug-in to play MIDI files, but
> others prefer a leaner and meaner plug-in.
>
> . Popular plug-ins:
> http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
> . Search for plug-ins:
> http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow..._search_pi.jsp
> . Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
>
> Or see the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
> aboutlugins
> into the URL bar.
>

>> using what I already have installed on my
>> computer?

> Does that mean you don't want to install a MIDI plug-in?
>

> --
> Cheers,
> Ralph

I guess what I don't understand is that I *already* have Quicktime installed
on my computer. It works fine in IE. Why should I have to reinstall it order
for Firefox to recognize it? Can't I just direct the program to the
location of Quicktime (since it apparently doesn't realize it's installed)?

David Emerling

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:23:37 GMT, in message
<ZMCBd.46189$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Emerling wrote:

> "Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed) .net.nz...
> > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:19:46 GMT, in message
> > <m8lBd.44935$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Emerling wrote:
> >
> >> I decided to give Firefox a try. Very nice! Loads pages quicker than IE.
> >> However, it doesn't seem to like playing embedded midi files.
> >>
> >> I went to Tools > Options > Downloads > Plug-Ins

> > Another place to check is, enter this URL into the URL bar
> >
> > aboutlugins
> >
> > This gives more detail on the plug-ins.
> >

> >> and noticed that MID isn't even on the list of recognized extensions.
> >> That
> >> seems odd since midi's are so common place on web pages.

> > Evidently Firefox did not bundle a MIDI plug-in.
> >
> > You can still install one yourself. You get to choose a MIDI plug-in
> > which you personally like.
> >

> >> How can I get these to play

> > Download and install a suitable plug-in for MIDI files.
> >
> > There is a choice of plug-ins, so pick one which you like.
> > Personally I use the QuickTime plug-in to play MIDI files, but
> > others prefer a leaner and meaner plug-in.
> >
> > . Popular plug-ins:
> > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
> > . Search for plug-ins:
> > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow..._search_pi.jsp
> > . Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
> >
> > Or see the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
> > aboutlugins
> > into the URL bar.
> >

> >> using what I already have installed on my
> >> computer?

> > Does that mean you don't want to install a MIDI plug-in?
> >

> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Ralph

> I guess what I don't understand is that I *already* have Quicktime installed
> on my computer. It works fine in IE. Why should I have to reinstall it order
> for Firefox to recognize it? Can't I just direct the program to the
> location of Quicktime (since it apparently doesn't realize it's installed)?

1. FIRST: To play MIDI in Mozilla using QuickTime, you need the QuickTime
plug-in for Netscape (which also works with Firefox).
1.1 This plug-in is not the same as the stand-alone QuickTime player,
although they probably share many common components.
1.2 This plug-in is not the same as the QuickTime plug-in for IE.
That is because some years ago MS changed the format of plug-in
that IE used. Evidently
• The QuickTime plug-in for IE is properly installed;
• The QuickTime plug-in for Netscape either not installed at all,
or not installed where Firefox knows about it.

2. SECOND: Try the following, which may save you from having to
re-install QuickTime.

2.1 Go to "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Plugins" and look for some
files with names like np*.dll.

2.2 Copy (don't move) all those np*.dll files to
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins".

2.3 Restart Firefox.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

David Emerling

"Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed) .net.nz...
> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:23:37 GMT, in message
> <ZMCBd.46189$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Emerling wrote:
>

>> "Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed) .net.nz...

>> > Another place to check is, enter this URL into the URL bar
>> >
>> > aboutlugins
>> >
>> > This gives more detail on the plug-ins.

>> > Evidently Firefox did not bundle a MIDI plug-in.
>> >
>> > You can still install one yourself. You get to choose a MIDI plug-in
>> > which you personally like.

>> > Download and install a suitable plug-in for MIDI files.
>> >
>> > There is a choice of plug-ins, so pick one which you like.
>> > Personally I use the QuickTime plug-in to play MIDI files, but
>> > others prefer a leaner and meaner plug-in.
>> >
>> > . Popular plug-ins:
>> > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
>> > . Search for plug-ins:
>> > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow..._search_pi.jsp
>> > . Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
>> >
>> > Or see the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
>> > aboutlugins
>> > into the URL bar.

>> > Does that mean you don't want to install a MIDI plug-in?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > Ralph

>> I guess what I don't understand is that I *already* have Quicktime
>> installed
>> on my computer. It works fine in IE. Why should I have to reinstall it
>> order
>> for Firefox to recognize it? Can't I just direct the program to the
>> location of Quicktime (since it apparently doesn't realize it's
>> installed)?

> 1. FIRST: To play MIDI in Mozilla using QuickTime, you need the
> QuickTime
> plug-in for Netscape (which also works with Firefox).
> 1.1 This plug-in is not the same as the stand-alone QuickTime player,
> although they probably share many common components.
> 1.2 This plug-in is not the same as the QuickTime plug-in for IE.
> That is because some years ago MS changed the format of plug-in
> that IE used. Evidently
> . The QuickTime plug-in for IE is properly installed;
> . The QuickTime plug-in for Netscape either not installed at all,
> or not installed where Firefox knows about it.
>
> 2. SECOND: Try the following, which may save you from having to
> re-install QuickTime.
>
> 2.1 Go to "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Plugins" and look for some
> files with names like np*.dll.
>
> 2.2 Copy (don't move) all those np*.dll files to
> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins".
>
> 2.3 Restart Firefox.
>

> --
> Cheers,
> Ralph

I tried your SECOND technique only to discover that all the np*.dll files
that were in C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Plugins already existed in
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Plugins.

Apparently, Firefox already recognized Quicktime as a plugin for the
purposes of playing MOV files on webpages. I tried it and works. However, it
does not recognize Quicktime as a MIDI player. Nor does it recognize
*anything* as a MIDI player, not even Microsoft Media Player.

I really don't care *what* it uses to play MIDI's. But, currently, it
doesn't recognize anything. Further, it doesn't seem as if Firefox is
configurable enough so that you can designate what application to assign to
certain file extensions.

It appears as if I'm going to have to go the reinstall route.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN