Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > multiple identities

multiple identities

Steve T

Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability? Thanks,
Steve T

::..BRIAN..::

(On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
> Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability? Thanks,

Yes. You can use multiple profiles.

Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run TB
by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile you
want to use.

> Steve T

I find it humorous that your headers show "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed;
Original".

--
Brian

Email Info--
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Alex

::..BRIAN..:: wrote:

> (On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
>
>> Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability?
>> Thanks,

> Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
>
> Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run TB
> by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile you
> want to use.

But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine won't
have access to my mail or other settings?

>> Steve T

> I find it humorous that your headers show "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed;
> Original".

Why? What's wrong with the above??

Alex

Moz Champion

Alex wrote:

> ::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
>
>> (On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
>>
>>> Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability?
>>> Thanks,

>> Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
>>
>> Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run
>> TB by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile
>> you want to use.

> But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine won't
> have access to my mail or other settings?
>

>>> Steve T

>> I find it humorous that your headers show "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed;
>> Original".
>>

> Why? What's wrong with the above??
>
> Alex

You dont even need Multiple profiles, you can have several accounts in
one profile.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

John Thompson

On 2004-12-29, Alex <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
>
>> (On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
>>
>>> Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability?
>>> Thanks,

>> Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
>>
>> Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run TB
>> by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile you
>> want to use.

> But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine won't
> have access to my mail or other settings?

If you're using TB on *nix or any NT based Windows version (NT/2k/XP), your profiles are
stored in separate directories with permissions set such that only the owner can see them.

--
-John ((E-Mail Removed))

Alex

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2004-12-29, Alex <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>::..BRIAN..:: wrote:

>>>Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
>>>
>>>Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run TB
>>>by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile you
>>>want to use.

>>But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine won't
>>have access to my mail or other settings?

> If you're using TB on *nix or any NT based Windows version (NT/2k/XP), your profiles are
> stored in separate directories with permissions set such that only the owner can see them.

Right, I see what you mean. Thanks!
Btw, I wonder as it seems to me that TB is actually the mail client part
of the Mozilla without browser. So I'd suppose they should have the same
function.

Moz Champion

Alex wrote:

> John Thompson wrote:

>>> But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine
>>> won't have access to my mail or other settings?

>> If you're using TB on *nix or any NT based Windows version (NT/2k/XP),
>> your profiles are
>> stored in separate directories with permissions set such that only the
>> owner can see them.
>>

> Right, I see what you mean. Thanks!
> Btw, I wonder as it seems to me that TB is actually the mail client part
> of the Mozilla without browser. So I'd suppose they should have the same
> function.

Not quite.

Thunderbird was originally based on the same coding as the Mozilla suite
Mail component, but was then added to, (and yes even subtracted from)
and has grown into a full bodied application of its own. Tho its
'roots' may be in the Mozilla suite Mail component, it is more than that.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Alex

Moz Champion wrote:

> Alex wrote:
>
>> John Thompson wrote:

>>> If you're using TB on *nix or any NT based Windows version
>>> (NT/2k/XP), your profiles are
>>> stored in separate directories with permissions set such that only
>>> the owner can see them.

>> Right, I see what you mean. Thanks!
>> Btw, I wonder as it seems to me that TB is actually the mail client
>> part of the Mozilla without browser. So I'd suppose they should have
>> the same function.

> Not quite.
>
> Thunderbird was originally based on the same coding as the Mozilla suite
> Mail component, but was then added to, (and yes even subtracted from)
> and has grown into a full bodied application of its own. Tho its
> 'roots' may be in the Mozilla suite Mail component, it is more than that.

So, is it better to have individual T'Bird and F'Fox instead of the
Mozilla?? What your point of view??

Moz Champion

Alex wrote:

> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Alex wrote:

>>> Right, I see what you mean. Thanks!
>>> Btw, I wonder as it seems to me that TB is actually the mail client
>>> part of the Mozilla without browser. So I'd suppose they should have
>>> the same function.

>> Not quite.
>>
>> Thunderbird was originally based on the same coding as the Mozilla
>> suite Mail component, but was then added to, (and yes even subtracted
>> from) and has grown into a full bodied application of its own. Tho
>> its 'roots' may be in the Mozilla suite Mail component, it is more
>> than that.
>>

> So, is it better to have individual T'Bird and F'Fox instead of the
> Mozilla?? What your point of view??

Its a matter of choice.
If you want an all in one Internet application, then the suite is what
you are looking for, if you want individual applications then use
Firefox and Thunderbird.

Using Firefox, you are free to choose your own mail application, while
Thunderbird is recommended in that situation, it can be any other mail
application if you wish.

Personally I prefer the suite model, but thats simply MY choice, my
preference, not that its *better*

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org