Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Recommended download manager for Mozilla?

Recommended download manager for Mozilla?

Hallvard Tangeraas

Any good recommendations for a (free) download manager which works well
with Mozilla (Windows version)?
Anything with spyware is a no-no, and preferrably also without any ads.

--
Hallvard

Nigel Stapley

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
> Any good recommendations for a (free) download manager which works well
> with Mozilla (Windows version)?
> Anything with spyware is a no-no, and preferrably also without any ads.

MetaProducts Download Express :

http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpPro...tail.asp?id=18

Free. No spyware (that I can find). No ads (this is why I switched from
Download Accelerator Plus).

HTH

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

John Thompson

On 2004-12-28, Hallvard Tangeraas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any good recommendations for a (free) download manager which works well
> with Mozilla (Windows version)?
> Anything with spyware is a no-no, and preferrably also without any ads.

Doesn't Mozilla's built-in download manager work for you?

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Jowah

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2004-12-28, Hallvard Tangeraas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Any good recommendations for a (free) download manager which works well
>>with Mozilla (Windows version)?
>>Anything with spyware is a no-no, and preferrably also without any ads.

> Doesn't Mozilla's built-in download manager work for you?

Just curious: Are you on dial-up? I am just wondering if you have
found DL managers to be effective with a broadband connection.

Hallvard Tangeraas

John Thompson wrote:

> On 2004-12-28, Hallvard Tangeraas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Any good recommendations for a (free) download manager which works well
>> with Mozilla (Windows version)?
>> Anything with spyware is a no-no, and preferrably also without any ads.

> Doesn't Mozilla's built-in download manager work for you?

The problem is that this PC has two separate users, and Mozilla is
therefore set up with two separate user-profiles.
If one user is in the midst of downloading a large file, and the other
user wants to access his/her profile the transfer is interrupted.

So this is why I want a separate download manager which is independant
of Mozilla.

--
Hallvard

Hallvard Tangeraas

Nigel Stapley wrote:
> Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
>> Any good recommendations for a (free) download manager which works well
>> with Mozilla (Windows version)?

> MetaProducts Download Express :
>
> http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpPro...tail.asp?id=18
>
> Free. No spyware (that I can find). No ads (this is why I switched from
> Download Accelerator Plus).

I've downloaded and installed it, but I must have missed something,
because Mozilla doesn't use it when I'm downloading a file, but its own
download manager instead.
Is there anything I should set up at Mozilla's end?

DOES it actually work with Mozilla? I've tried to find out more about it
from the website, but all it mentions is Internet explorer, and there's
an .XPI file for Firefox (scroll down near the bottom of this page:
http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpPro...tail.asp?id=18) which I
downloaded.

--
Hallvard

Nigel Stapley

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
> Nigel Stapley wrote:
>
>> Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
>>
>>> Any good recommendations for a (free) download manager which works
>>> well with Mozilla (Windows version)?

>> MetaProducts Download Express :
>>
>> http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpPro...tail.asp?id=18
>>
>> Free. No spyware (that I can find). No ads (this is why I switched
>> from Download Accelerator Plus).

> I've downloaded and installed it, but I must have missed something,
> because Mozilla doesn't use it when I'm downloading a file, but its own
> download manager instead.
> Is there anything I should set up at Mozilla's end?

I've got it in Edit > Preferences > DownloadWith

As to how it got *there*, I think I downloaded an extension...

Ah, yes! Go to http://downloadwith.mozdev.org/

> DOES it actually work with Mozilla?

Sure does!

--