Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Missing folders pane in Thunderbird?

Missing folders pane in Thunderbird?

Sayeed

My folders pane in Thunderbird has disappeared. This keeps me from
going to folders other than the inbox, like the "sent" messages and
the "drafts" folders, which is of course a real pain. I have looked
at length and cannot find any info on restoring the folders
pane/window that used to be at the left of the Thunderbird program.
Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Karsten_D=FCsterloh?=

Sayeed aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:

Why do you expect answers if noone but you will profit?

Karsten
--
Freiheit stirbt | Fsayannes SF&F-Bibliothek:
Mit Sicherheit | http://fsayanne.tprac.de/

Sayeed

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:40:49 +0100, Karsten Düsterloh <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Sayeed aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
>>My folders pane in Thunderbird has disappeared. This keeps me from
>>going to folders other than the inbox, like the "sent" messages and
>>the "drafts" folders, which is of course a real pain. I have looked
>>at length and cannot find any info on restoring the folders
>>pane/window that used to be at the left of the Thunderbird program.
>>Any help would be appreciated.

>Why do you expect answers if noone but you will profit?

Guten Abend Karsten,

It is my suspicion that if I'm having this problem that others will
too, and that if I can't after a reasonably thorough search find an
answer, that others will have the same problem. As I believe in open
source software and wish to see it succeed, I want to do what I can to
contribute to its documentation. Thus, if I find a pertinent question
that has no ready answer in the Thunderbird documentation, rather than
switching mail clients, I'll find out what the relevant news groups
are and post my question their and hope the answers find their way
into the public domain and perhaps into the TB FAQs, etc.

But I would think that this would all be self-eveident. What moved
you to ask such an unusal question? The x-No-Archive setting? It's
my default because of dealings with a Net kook/vandal whose nom de Net
I won't mention in an archived post, lest he come and disrupt these
groups. It was left on by mistake, and I doubt that those who respond
will do the same, at least I hope they won't. For whatever reason,
you only quoted my name and not the post, but I aded it back. So
here's the question again, above and below, with Google archiving
allowed , or so I hope. Sometimes when I try to allow archiving, it
doesn't always work the first time. This is my second try, so I'm
keeping my fingers crossed.

My folders pane in Thunderbird has disappeared. This keeps me from
going to folders other than the inbox, like the "sent" messages and
the "drafts" folders, which is of course a real pain. I have looked
at length and cannot find any info on restoring the folders
pane/window that used to be at the left of the Thunderbird program.
Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!

Ed Mullen

Sayeed wrote:

> My folders pane in Thunderbird has disappeared. This keeps me from
> going to folders other than the inbox, like the "sent" messages and
> the "drafts" folders, which is of course a real pain. I have looked
> at length and cannot find any info on restoring the folders
> pane/window that used to be at the left of the Thunderbird program.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> TIA!

The simplest thing that comes to mind is that the pane has been shrunk
to zero. At the left hand edge of the TB window will be a vertical
border. Click and drag to the right to expand the pane. If that's not
it then something's broken.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Sayeed

That was it indeed Ed. I never would have guessed from looking at it,
but dragging it back out worked perfectly. I do not recall dragging
it shut, but I see that if you drag it to a certain point, it then
jumps the rest of the way to disappear. That must have happened when
I wasn't really paying attention. Deepest thanks for your help, and
for being a supporter of Mozilla!

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:04:03 -0500, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sayeed wrote:
>
>> My folders pane in Thunderbird has disappeared. This keeps me from
>> going to folders other than the inbox, like the "sent" messages and
>> the "drafts" folders, which is of course a real pain. I have looked
>> at length and cannot find any info on restoring the folders
>> pane/window that used to be at the left of the Thunderbird program.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> TIA!

>The simplest thing that comes to mind is that the pane has been shrunk
>to zero. At the left hand edge of the TB window will be a vertical
>border. Click and drag to the right to expand the pane. If that's not
>it then something's broken.

Ed Mullen

Sayeed wrote:

> That was it indeed Ed. I never would have guessed from looking at it,
> but dragging it back out worked perfectly. I do not recall dragging
> it shut, but I see that if you drag it to a certain point, it then
> jumps the rest of the way to disappear. That must have happened when
> I wasn't really paying attention. Deepest thanks for your help, and
> for being a supporter of Mozilla!
>

> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:04:03 -0500, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Sayeed wrote:
>>

>>>My folders pane in Thunderbird has disappeared. This keeps me from
>>>going to folders other than the inbox, like the "sent" messages and
>>>the "drafts" folders, which is of course a real pain. I have looked
>>>at length and cannot find any info on restoring the folders
>>>pane/window that used to be at the left of the Thunderbird program.
>>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>>TIA!

>>The simplest thing that comes to mind is that the pane has been shrunk
>>to zero. At the left hand edge of the TB window will be a vertical
>>border. Click and drag to the right to expand the pane. If that's not
>>it then something's broken.

My pleasure. I just love it when it's the simple stuff that provides
the answer.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

acukfreak acukfreak is offline
Junior Member

This problem is most likely because you pressed the Nostalgy keyboard shortcut that hides the folders panel.

This is usually "L" (this key toggles the folders panel view).

So try just pressing "L". Good luck!

sparkles85 sparkles85 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acukfreak View Post
This problem is most likely because you pressed the Nostalgy keyboard shortcut that hides the folders panel.

This is usually "L" (this key toggles the folders panel view).

So try just pressing "L". Good luck!

Thank you for this - this is exactly what happened to me and I was getting endlessly frustrated with my folder pane toggling seemingly at random... Dragging actually didn't work, which is weird. Anyway. Thanks again! Now to stop mashing the keyboard instead of pressing proper Nostalgy shortcuts...

HutchCore HutchCore is offline
Junior Member

Just wanted to thank you for posting this question and for the responses. I was having the same issue and indeed, I did just need to slide the panel over. Thanks!

JohnCPA JohnCPA is offline
Junior Member

All of the suggestions here and elsewhere on the web didn't work for me, when I had this problem. I solved it instantly by pressing the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-1.